Make a donation

Author Topic: de cat downpipe and MOT issues  (Read 4096 times)

Offline lloydy88

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 2
de cat downpipe and MOT issues
« on: April 23, 2019, 05:22:50 pm »
Hi guys

I'm currently running a milltek 3 inch de cat downpipe and 3 inch APR cat back exhaust system on my MK5 GTI.

My MOT is due in a couple of months and I'm after some advice.

first questions, with the decat downpipe is it guaranteed that my car will fail MOT on emissions?

second, what can i do to get around this? I've looked at the milltek 3 inch downpipe with sports CAT but its expensive, I've also looked at a 2nd hand stock full system which i can switch to before or during MOT and then switch back, not sure how the garage would feel about this and what the cost of labour would be so again i'm not sure what best to do.

I'm keeping my eyes open on forums and TFSI GB page in the hope something cheap comes along.

any suggestions on whats best to do would be welcome???

Thanks

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 676
Re: de cat downpipe and MOT issues
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 01:23:10 pm »
If you have no cat at all, a fail is pretty much guaranteed.  Some sports cats fail as well.   If you want a guaranteed pass, put a standard downpipe on before the MOT.  You will obviously need some kind of 2.5 > 3" adapter to mate it up to the APR exhaust.   APR normally supply one with their systems.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline lloydy88

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 02:42:52 pm »
Never thought of that!! Awesome mate, cheers! Any idea on price for the 2.5 > 3 inch adaptor from APR?

Thanks

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 676
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 04:39:22 pm »
As I say, you should have got one with your exhaust.  APR included one with my downpipe.  If not, I'm sure Awesome GTI can hook you up as they are the UK APR distributor.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 78