Make a donation

Author Topic: New oil pump price  (Read 3476 times)

Offline fast_eddie

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
New oil pump price
« on: May 31, 2019, 10:53:37 am »
Hi Guys,

Got the dreaded low pressure oil light yesterday.

Not far from home so I nursed it slowly home 1500 revs.

Sump coming off next week whilst I am on nights but VW just quoted me £1434 for a new oil pump!

Obviously, until the sump comes off, I wont know if its just a clogged pick up but I was trying to plan for changing the pump anyway.

Are there any more ways of buying a new pump without spend such a high amount of money?

I have done a search but can not find anything.

Cheers,

Jon

Offline ahsan82

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: New oil pump price
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 11:24:32 pm »
mine went last october....i ended up getting a second unit from ebay, paid £400 for it

almost has heart failure when i spoke with vw and they quoted me about £1400 too

Offline fast_eddie

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 07:28:25 am »
Thanks guys.
I am going to replace the pick up pipe and gently try the car out. There seems to be a general concensus that the pumps rarely wear. At 86k im hoping not.
Either way, it will be good to get the sump off and see what's going on down there. The car has a yellow dipstick, so I'm wondering if there is the end of the orange one floating around along with maybe poor servicing particles that have clogged the gauze.
I know it's a pain taking the sump on and off again but I think it's the cheaper option right now
Thanks for the help.
Jon

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline fab5freddy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 10:42:41 am »
Thanks guys.
I am going to replace the pick up pipe and gently try the car out. There seems to be a general concensus that the pumps rarely wear. At 86k im hoping not.
Either way, it will be good to get the sump off and see what's going on down there. The car has a yellow dipstick, so I'm wondering if there is the end of the orange one floating around along with maybe poor servicing particles that have clogged the gauze.
I know it's a pain taking the sump on and off again but I think it's the cheaper option right now
Thanks for the help.
Jon

Eddie, if you should need a pump, I have one here. Low mileage from a well cared for car.

Offline fast_eddie

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 05:37:55 pm »
So, I've just got the sump off and the pick up pipe doesn't look 'that' bad. It had maybe a third of the total area 'dirty' and when I took it off there was a full pipes worth of retained oil, so that kind of shows its not flowing properly.
My question is, would that be enough restriction to bring on the low oil pressure warning or is it looking more like the pump?
I moved the car on tick over to its current resting place before I started stripping it down and the warning didn't appear.
Thanks.

Offline fast_eddie

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 10:41:19 pm »
New pick up pipe fitted and sump cleaned. All is now good.. Thanks for the advice peeps