Make a donation

Author Topic: Gravity exhaust-anyone actually got one?  (Read 924 times)

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 4
Gravity exhaust-anyone actually got one?
« on: September 03, 2022, 11:22:44 am »
So the mish mash exhaust on the golf is returning back to Mother Earth slowly but surely....it’s a mess. I’d like to just replace from the turbo back, and frankly bang for buck the gravity stuff looks okay to me. My car is not a race car, it may do some track days, though currently I have better options for that, I don’t want to make it unbearable to drive as it will be going to Assen for the Moto gp, Spa for the F1 next year again, maybe LeMans for the 24 and I don’t just want noise for the sake of noise. So....I know that there are better and more expensive options, currently my rear box is a Miltek, but the rest is 2006 vintage VW and knackered, has anyone actually bought one? I found an old thread of someone who had one, but no follow up, just about cost of fitment. I found a video on YouTube of someone who had an issue, but they sorted it out for them and he was a happy bunny and that was a TT mk1. I am looking at the downpipe with 200 cell cat, reducing to a 2.5 inch cat back, 2 resonators as I want it quiet ( ish) and don’t want a 3 inch straight through. Alternative suggestions welcome that don’t cost as much as a car 🚗  :thinking:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 676
Re: Gravity exhaust-anyone actually got one?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 03:14:47 pm »
So long as it has 1 or more resonator boxes, it shouldn't be too loud. 3" is unnecessary for the engine's output and stupidly loud unless it has big silencers.

All exhausts are just metal pipes at the end of the day, so give it a whirl  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 03:54:47 pm »
Well that was my thinking really...metal pipes with bends and a hole either end! Your opinion matters @Pudding to me....plus you are telling me what I need to hear! Prodigy for music, cheese ,chicken and pickle in my sandwich, and still the flamin hot wotsits today btw...   :popcornsoda:

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 12:55:19 pm »
Not heard of Gravity myself but I would say not all exhuasts are equal.  Powerflow exhuasts for example have a reputation for being very stainless when it comes to stainless steel (i.e. they rust)

@Pudding I have a 3" scorpion (resonated) and it really isn't much louder than standard. 

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 01:42:47 pm »
Yeah it's usually fitment accuracy and lifespan that separate them.  Cheap stainless does indeed rust because it hasn't got enough stainlessly stuff in it!  Milltek's wafer thin stainless used to rust as well.

Gravity are clearly just a drop shipping company for a Chinese factory but it's a cheap way to see if an exhaust is your bag or not.  In the past I've spent getting on for a grand on supposedly highly regarded exhaust, only to be met with the same quality issues as bargain basement systems.

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 07:05:53 pm »
Yeah, my old MR2 turbo had a bloody expensive HKS exhaust and wasn’t brilliant...I don’t personally rate the Milltek that is on the Golf right now, not sure of its history but clamps are rusted to buggery...I cannot spend too much on a car that I’ll probably not keep more than 4-5 years and that barely moves most of its life BUT it needs an MOT and the sh*t show on there won’t last out sadly. @Pudding today’s sandwich was a plain cheese sandwich with some KP dry roasted peanuts ( no crisps...going to Costco on Friday..) and music has been a medley of the sublime to the ridiculous courtesy of amazon music on random. 

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 08:52:54 am »
I had a Milltek on my Corrado years ago and it was terrible.  Badly fitting, rust issues, cheap arse clamps, wafer thin tubing and silencers that droned like hell. I've come to learn over the years that the OEM systems are the best quality, but obviously crazy money to replace, so isn't an option for most peeps.  That's why I think a cheap exhaust like the Gravity is worth a punt. So long as it doesn't bang on the floor or fall off, can't really go wrong.

Cheese and peanuts, that's a new one  :grin:  My brother used to love cheese and (raw) mushroom sandwiches when he was younger  :grin:

I recently discovered Onion & Chive bagels with chive Philadelphia and ham.  Music wise, just whatever Radio 2 throws at me on the way to/from work  :grin:

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 02:46:41 pm »
That’s a lot of chive....or is it chive talkin’?  :grin:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 04:27:48 pm »
Nah, it was chive bunny  :grin: