Make a donation

Author Topic: Retrofit leather to GTI  (Read 2981 times)

Offline richardgti

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Retrofit leather to GTI
« on: February 05, 2011, 09:25:34 am »
Ok chaps, the plan is to pick up some leather for my 57 plate 5 door.
Once I have this leather, is it then a relatively simple job to get the heated seats working?

I understand that a wiring loom from here: http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p680_Seat-Heating---Harness---VW-Golf-5.html
Would be needed as my 57 plate doesn't have the 'black boxes' under the seats. Then on top of this I would need to replace the climatic control section to include the heated seats 'twidly switches'. Would this need coding with vagcom?

Is there anything else I have missed off that would be required for the retrofit?

Offline apollo13

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
Re: Retrofit leather to GTI
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 09:49:44 am »
You need the seats obviously, the loom and the climate panel.

No coding is needed to get them to work but you will have a fault in VCDS unless you code the CECM.

You need to buy a loom to match the age of your SEATS not your car.

If your using post 2006 seats then the job becomes a real pain, the looms Kufatec supply for these seats is designed for a left hand drive car and needs a lot of cutting and extending to get it to fit.They are aware of this problem but I'm not sure if they have addressed it yet ( probably not ).

Pre 2006 the loom is still for a left hand drive car but the connector to each seat is the same so it can be used easily in a right hand drive car.

Do a search, its been covered recently in detail.

Lee.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 09:56:06 am by apollo13 »
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline richardgti

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 10:15:56 am »
Lee - thanks for that.
Any chance you could point me to the post that goes over this in detail - i have searched for various things but not come across it yet.
I suppose the important thing then is to try and find out what year the seats are from.

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 10:24:55 am »
All you really need are these diagrams.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_y2Yifl1vjns/S4NPnf8QwLI/AAAAAAAAD2E/LniPqs0x2hE/s1600-h/Heated+Seats.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_y2Yifl1vjns/S4dVKZUaaEI/AAAAAAAAD2M/IO5x7mC7g1M/s1600-h/Heated+Seats+2007%2B.jpg

One note though, where it tells you what locations for the pins in the climatronic/climatic panel they need reversing.
These diagrams are again for a LHD car so the switches will be around the wrong way.

Also you may find that the fuse locations shown are not live or are being used already as some golf fuseboxes are laid out differently, but this is esy enough to overcome.

My advice to you would be get the seats then take it from there.

If you need help I'm in Kent, Darren (Mortygttdi) is in Leeds and Eddie (EddieNL) is in Great Yarmouth we have all done the retro fit in one way or another  :happy2:
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline richardgti

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 10:44:54 am »
Darren (Mortygttdi) is in Leeds might be in the running then for a nice little beer stash... :wink:

That is of course if Darren would be interested.  :drinking:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 11:40:34 am by richardgti »

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 01:26:11 pm »
Darren (Mortygttdi) is in Leeds might be in the running then for a nice little beer stash... :wink:

That is of course if Darren would be interested.  :drinking:

I'm sure if you ask him nicely he'll be ok  :happy2:

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 11:38:00 am »
I know SeanyK did this recently as I sold him my ED30 seats and he fitted the heating elements, but he gave up as it was so difficult in the end he gave up and sold them.

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 01:52:50 pm »
I know SeanyK did this recently as I sold him my ED30 seats and he fitted the heating elements, but he gave up as it was so difficult in the end he gave up and sold them.

Not strictly true mate. He got the ED30 seats working but the drivers seat you sold him was knackered and didnt heat up.

I know this because I helped fit them....

He then bought a leather R32 interior and fitted that and they heat up fine, although because they were 2007 seats it was alot more grief and he had to butcher the Kufatec loom.

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 07:20:52 pm »

Not strictly true mate. He got the ED30 seats working but the drivers seat you sold him was knackered and didnt heat up.

I know this because I helped fit them....

He then bought a leather R32 interior and fitted that and they heat up fine, although because they were 2007 seats it was alot more grief and he had to butcher the Kufatec loom.

Oh right, didn't know that, They worked fine when PaulK sold them to me, and the looms were fixed by Darren, so not sure when the damage happened.
Glad that he did manage to get some heated seats in the end though.

Offline Wardy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
    • Briskoda
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 05:50:12 pm »
Ok chaps, the plan is to pick up some leather for my 57 plate 5 door.

If you get sorted and fancy moving your std seats on, drop me a PM  :happy2: