Make a donation

Author Topic: Getting started.  (Read 1182 times)

Offline da_ansa

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Getting started.
« on: June 05, 2012, 09:25:11 am »
I want to get started in the world of detailing. Im a complete novice and was wandering whats the best kit to get started or is most user friendly. I'll be purchasing a new pressure washer, a machine polisher & shampoos, detailing spray, clay bars etc?

any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Getting started.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 09:42:00 am »
Have a read through some of the threads here. There are lots of info. Quite a lot of what goes on in detailing is subjective eg which polish, which wax etc. Generally it's the pros or extreme hobbyists who can tell the nuances of each product apart from the others.

I'd start off with two buckets, shampoo, a wash mitt and a drying towel. Everything else you can pick up from reading the various threads.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 09:57:14 am »
Where do you live?

Is there a detailer nearby?

One great way to learn is to watch the pro's. I wouldn't bother with a machine polisher for a while.

If you have your car detailed, it will save you alot of hard work. They will get the car in great condition and it will be easy for you to maintain.

Your detailer will prob write u a list of products to keep the car looking great!

Once you learn the correct washing method, (2Buckets, drying, detail spray, tyre gels etc)  you can then learn claying and polishing etc  :happy2:

Try and do some research and buy the right products first time round.
Otherwise you will end up in a years time with lots of halfords stuff that you never use!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 10:31:00 am »
+1. I'd always advocate getting a pro to detail your car. You can then maintain it (the pro should give you some basic advice) and then as you read up and learn, you can then find out and experiment. There are very few hard and fast rules.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline da_ansa

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 12:46:40 pm »
thanks for the advice guys. I live in st albans there's a detailer called Dynamic Detailing not too far from me