Make a donation

Author Topic: Carbon/Vinyl wrap on steering wheel inserts  (Read 16314 times)

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
Re: Carbon/Vinyl wrap on steering wheel inserts
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2012, 08:54:46 pm »
Have you considered doing the bottom insert, but leaving the small rectangular bit where the GTI badge is alone?

Kudos should be given to Mr Morty for ingeniously thinking up of another way to wrap your steering wheel badge. I like!  :happy2:

That does look great :happy2:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline andygo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2012, 04:20:44 pm »
I've just wrapped my Ed30 wheel with the buttons. I didn't bother taking the airbag off, just did them in situ. They look pretty good IMHO. I'd post the pix on here if I knew how.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2012, 11:09:40 am »
I've just wrapped my Ed30 wheel with the buttons. I didn't bother taking the airbag off, just did them in situ. They look pretty good IMHO. I'd post the pix on here if I knew how.

Have a read of this:
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,945.0.html

I would like to see how it looks as might do it myself :happy2:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline screech

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2012, 10:51:49 am »
My steering wheel is coming off this weekend and im planning on doing mine with buttons. If I can remember where I put my di-noc!!
Il post pics after.

Offline screech

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2012, 04:27:13 pm »
As promised, just completed...

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2012, 04:37:35 pm »
^Looks Great :happy2:

Not sure how mine would look with the OSIR CF GTI badge which is shiny. Can you get glossy CF wrap?

Offline screech

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2012, 04:38:56 pm »
I dont think so, but it can be lacquered..... or just do all 3 matching wrap  :happy2:

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2012, 04:45:42 pm »
I dont think so, but it can be lacquered..... or just do all 3 matching wrap  :happy2:

Might try that as got some somewhere :happy2:

I'm assuming you have to remove the airbag to get the bits out? Thats the bit that worries me as never done that and don't have VCDS if I end up with an error.

Offline screech

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2012, 04:53:22 pm »
Yes airbag off for the MFSW buttons, but not for blank ones.

I didn't get any faults that needing clearing with VCDS after removing it to fit the cruise last week.

Same again today when i took it off to trim these. All i did get was a steering wheel light, all needed for that was go left lock and hold, centre, right lock and hold. Release, and it went out. 

cheers

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2012, 05:06:46 pm »
You've done a very nice n tidy job there  :congrats: :congrats:

Looks very good too.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RobboGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2012, 10:54:46 pm »
I dont think so, but it can be lacquered..... or just do all 3 matching wrap  :happy2:

I'm assuming you have to remove the airbag to get the bits out? Thats the bit that worries me as never done that and don't have VCDS if I end up with an error.

You can't laquer it mate. Gets rid of the whole effect it just fills the gaps and smooths it right out :(

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2012, 10:58:16 am »

You can't laquer it mate. Gets rid of the whole effect it just fills the gaps and smooths it right out :(

That's a shame :sad1:

Offline screech

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2012, 11:22:50 am »

Offline RobboGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2012, 03:11:49 pm »

Hmmm when I did it it lost a lot of the effect of it. Just my personal experience

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2012, 04:13:04 pm »
The latest vinyl carbons are pretty good and I don't think need varnishing. I did my Recaro backs in carbon vinyl:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!