Make a donation

Author Topic: Engine Oil Level Light / Icon  (Read 2128 times)

Offline UniquEd30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Engine Oil Level Light / Icon
« on: January 15, 2017, 01:44:14 am »
Hi all

So its been roughly 3weeks since I fixed my Ed30 5dr Manual which had a faulty PCV Value along with the Engine light on.

Now earlier today my Yellow Engine Oil Level light with wavy line below Oil Can came on. The temperature guage was normal, middle-ish indication. So I topped the car up with about 1L 500ml of 5w40 oil, however the Engine Oil Level light didn't disappear. Now I feel like its loss power and torque, possibly car gone into some sort of restricted mode? Limp mode?

I have tried disconnecting the battery this evening for about a minute or two but nothinf, warning light still there.. also tried clearing logged faults, nothing.

Help please, car is driving whack.

Offline Chris_R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
Re: Engine Oil Level Light / Icon
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 08:59:02 am »
Faulty oil level sensor?
Bonnet catch microswitch is another I remember reading about.

Offline UniquEd30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 09:08:06 am »
Faulty oil level sensor?
Bonnet catch microswitch is another I remember reading about.

Where can this sensor & microswitch be found? Easily replaceable by myself or?

Offline Chris_R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 04:57:21 pm »
Not done it myself, but the whole assembly comes out and should give you access to check the wiring and the switch itself - if that part of your car is anything like mine was then it will be gummed up with old grease, dirt and rust.

You could possibly test the switch is working, simply by opening the bonnet and checking for the dash light to show the bonnet is open, should prove the switch is working then. Would probably do that first before committing to any screwdriver work ;)

Or this guy has a guide on refitting a new catch mechanism which can be used to guide you.

http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5/bonnet_catch/index.php

Offline UniquEd30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 01:17:56 am »
Not done it myself, but the whole assembly comes out and should give you access to check the wiring and the switch itself - if that part of your car is anything like mine was then it will be gummed up with old grease, dirt and rust.

You could possibly test the switch is working, simply by opening the bonnet and checking for the dash light to show the bonnet is open, should prove the switch is working then. Would probably do that first before committing to any screwdriver work ;)

Or this guy has a guide on refitting a new catch mechanism which can be used to guide you.

http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5/bonnet_catch/index.php

Thanks pal.

Problem solved. Took apart bonnet assembly and gave microswitch a good clean, was full of grease.

Engine oil level warning icon now gone.

Thanks.