Make a donation

Author Topic: VW Racing Big Brake kit product review  (Read 117049 times)

Offline chungster

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
Re: VW Racing Big Brake kit product review
« Reply #315 on: February 22, 2012, 07:58:23 am »
Errrr if you read most of the other brake related threads on here you'd see that people value DaveB's advice on all things Brakes related. He doesn't have to do it as I'm sure he'd rather spend time with his family and fly planes!

Think this is the first time he's aired his views on the VWR package in a detailed way. Is he not allowed his opinion on an open forum just like everyone else ??

I know of one other owner who had a fresh set of VWR 6 pots fitted to his Roc R, took it to Bedford Autodrome and the discs cracked into 2 bits! He wasn't impressed by that at all considering he shelled out £2k for them and could have had a rather large accident as well!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #316 on: February 22, 2012, 08:12:10 am »

oh and I don't tell people what to buy in life it's a choice they make themselves

....Exactly! All we can ever do when writing a review is share our individual opinions and experiences and it's always up to the reader to make their own decisions.  :happy2:

Hence the welcome lack of sponsorship.  However RR - IMHO Sometimes your allegiance to VWR/Racing Line/Forge/AP/etc can seem overly vociferous.

....You missed out a few on the list, Dave  :grin: - Milltek immediately comes to mind. Then there's JKM, the Mk5 GTI, a loooong list.

Not allegance but enthusiasm. Enthusiasm for some of their products based purely on my own personal experiences. You'll notice that I have no significant experience of VWR's Big Brake kit and so I have not posted anything about that product in this thread. Also, all we can ever do is present and share information which is to the best of our knowledge at the time.

I think you probably know me well enough personally by now to realise that I am by nature enthusiastic about things or people that I like. I'm also an optimist by nature. But it's not as if I am never critical of products or services. Anyway, as Mat says, folks can make up their own minds and it's not a problem if some of us don't always agree about various products and services.

Granted, however most people don't know you, and your enthuiastic allegiance etc...................   :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #317 on: February 22, 2012, 08:26:16 am »

Errrr if you read most of the other brake related threads on here you'd see that people value DaveB's advice on all things Brakes related. He doesn't have to do it as I'm sure he'd rather spend time with his family and fly planes!

Think this is the first time he's aired his views on the VWR package in a detailed way. Is he not allowed his opinion on an open forum just like everyone else ??

....Very much agreed about DaveB's contributions to this forum.

However, he doesn't have to be so critical of Mat personally (as I quote below) does he. Mat hasn't been "banging the drum" at all - He's been very calm and merely shared his enthusiasm at appropriate times. [The word "enthusiasm" has a different meaning than "allegiance", QDave]

In summary Matt, we've met you're a nice chap and you helped me out but to throw your hands in the air and say "I don't know - ask Caparo" as soon as they start having problems just isn't good enough IMHO you've been banging the drum since day one and probably countless people have put £2k of their hard earned into these brakes on the back of this review.

It seems that if a posted review is negatively critical it's better received than if it's enthusiastically positive even if it contains critical elements. John_O's original template for forum reviews where he included both Plus Points and Minus Points is the way to go.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #318 on: February 22, 2012, 08:40:36 am »
 :indifferent:  to be honest I don't care what Dave thinks about the brakes we all know he is some kind of brake god and he knows best and that's fine by me but I Only started the review as it was a new product on the market that lots of people wanted to see and so I posted how I was getting on with them. Then it's upto people who by the brakes to post any problems they are having on this thread and then seeing how the problems are dealt with with all the pro and cons of the product. SO let's see how things are dealt with

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #319 on: February 22, 2012, 08:44:38 am »
I've nothing else to add to this thread about VWR brakes.

I would also add weight to the fact that the product review threads need an overhaul to a fixed format, that format should also include a £RRP and perhaps more importantly HOW MUCH THE REVIEWER ACTUALLY PARTED WITH to get the products onto the car.

This would help anybody reading the review assess the reviewers objectivity. I think it would be fair to say anybody objecting to this open disclosure might well have an agenda.

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #320 on: February 22, 2012, 08:47:21 am »
^^^^ I agree about updating the review to follow the site standards  :happy2:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #321 on: February 22, 2012, 09:13:13 am »

....Very much agreed about DaveB's contributions to this forum.

However, he doesn't have to be so critical of Mat personally (as I quote below) does he. Mat hasn't been "banging the drum" at all - He's been very calm and merely shared his enthusiasm at appropriate times. [The word "enthusiasm" has a different meaning than "allegiance", QDave]

It seems that if a posted review is negatively critical it's better received than if it's enthusiastically positive even if it contains critical elements. John_O's original template for forum reviews where he included both Plus Points and Minus Points is the way to go.

Enthusiastically Agreed with no allegiance.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #322 on: February 22, 2012, 09:28:47 am »
Agenda I don't have one and never have. It will be the last time I put anything about a product on this site as it sounds like if a product someone has on a car and is happy with and then someone else has a problem with the product then it's the person who started the threads problem for saying how good the product was in the first place. It's ok we all know you make better brake kits than anyone else on the planet and that's it and everyone values what you say as I do but you can't blame me for a product that I never made or had any input on the design of this down to the maker of the product to sort out. Like I said if I am having a problem with kit I would have posted and spoken to Vwr about my problems but at this moment in time I am happy with them and if you don't like that then that's ok.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #323 on: February 22, 2012, 09:32:46 am »
Rather than continue this subject in this review thread, I have started a new thread:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,43075.new.html#new < Deleted since writing this post.

Time for me to get offline and have some breakfast!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 04:19:37 pm by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #324 on: February 22, 2012, 09:34:27 am »

Enthusiastically Agreed with no allegiance.

:signLOL:   :drinking:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #325 on: February 22, 2012, 04:04:37 pm »
Whoah.

I do NOT like where this thread has gone.

Everyone knows Matt has a different version of the kit to most of the people who have voiced concerns over its make up. I do not think it is fair to kick his arse for his opinion of his brakes. It's like complaining my apple isn't as crunchy as his, it may have come from the same orchard, but it ain't the same apple.

Matt knows VWR, so what? I couldn't give a rat's ass if he was given a hundred pounds to put those brakes on his car, because I know for a fact he isn't disingenuous.

There's a lot of people taking kick-backs and cheap/free stuff to be test mules or for their gear to be seen on 'halo' cars, it's gone on since the dawn of time. I was pretty much given a WALK kit, does anyone doubt my integrity or reviews of it? Speak now, or forever hold your hypocrisy.

Shame on some of you. If you've got a problem, see VWR/Caparo - don't moan at Matt.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 04:31:57 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #326 on: February 22, 2012, 04:08:56 pm »
^^^^  :star: Thanks mate  :grouphug: 

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #327 on: February 22, 2012, 04:17:45 pm »
Whoah.

I do NOT like where this thread has gone.

Everyone knows Matt has a different version of the kit to most of the people who have voiced concerns over its make up. I do not think it is fair to kick his arse for his opinion of his brakes. It's like complaining my apple isn't as crunchy as his, it may have come from the same orchard, but it ain't the same apple.

Matt knows VWR, so what? I couldn't give a rat's ass if he was given a hundred pounds to put those brakes on his car, because I know for a fact he isn't disingenuous.

There's a lot of people taking kick-backs and cheap/free stuff to be test mules or for their gear to be seen on 'halo' cars, it's gone on since the dawn of time. I was pretty much given a WALK kit, does anyone doubt my integrity or reviews of it? Speak now, of forever hold your hypocrisy.

Shame on some of you. If you've got a problem, see VWR/Caparo - don't moan at Matt.

X2

Matt has given his opinion, and we all have the right to make our own minds. I have followed this tread from the first post, and even though he has praised these brakes, my opinion has been from the start that these wasn't what i was looking for. But it doesn't stop me from reading about his experiences.

Thx for the info on these Matt  :drinking:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #328 on: February 22, 2012, 04:19:16 pm »
I was pretty much given a WALK kit, does anyone doubt my integrity or reviews of it? Shame on some of you.

Danza given a bung!   :ashamed: :ashamed: How can you sleep at night!

I was given a BSH mounts kit at a reduced price.  Fitted them, hated them, sold them on for just less than I paid.  Job done - all Win Win got that bug out of my system! :drinking:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #329 on: February 22, 2012, 04:34:08 pm »
Like a baby... :happy2:

I think I was the 2nd person in the UK to fit them, and the trader knew full well I was tracking the car and would give my honest opinion. He was warned I'd say if they were sh*te though!!
Sideways yo!