Make a donation

Author Topic: K04 Conversion - Looking for opinions & posting my progress/info about the swap  (Read 17733 times)

Offline ZoliWorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
Re: K04 Conversion - Do you ever regret it? How is it for daily driving?
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2024, 08:22:24 am »
Is your throttle body a VDO one? If so, I would swap it for the newer Continental one. I had surging and throttle valve flutter issues with the gen 1 VDO throttle after it was tuned.

Alright I've checked, it is indeed VDO. Do you happen to have a part number for the Continental one, or do they use the same one just different manufacturer/time?
Mk5 Jetta 2.0 TFSI BWA | Mk6 GTI Front | BorgWarner K04 Turbo | Ta-Technix Air Intake | Ta-Technix 200 Cell Downpipe | Stock Intercooler | Stock Injectors | Vis Motorsport 175 bar HPFP | 300hp

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2024, 09:16:21 am »
I bought a low mile one off eBay for £30.......Continental revised version off a Mk7 GTI or R, as my VDO one was randomly sticking, but smooth on testing.

2018 manufacture year and the P/N is 06F133062T

VCDS to recalibrate it and all has been fine since.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 09:19:49 am by mjmallia »
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline ZoliWorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2024, 08:59:27 pm »
What were the symptoms of yours when it was sticking, like what did it do exactly? Revs falling slow? Uneven idle? Car randomly dying when coming off-gas? Revs jumping up-down as if it had a vacuum leak?
Mk5 Jetta 2.0 TFSI BWA | Mk6 GTI Front | BorgWarner K04 Turbo | Ta-Technix Air Intake | Ta-Technix 200 Cell Downpipe | Stock Intercooler | Stock Injectors | Vis Motorsport 175 bar HPFP | 300hp

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2024, 08:45:35 am »
When accelerating it would sometimes feel like the power was being held back for a second and then return, hot or cold.

Boost would suddenly drop on my gauge and return, and felt like something stuck and then suddenly opened......hard to describe.

I could not figure it out and had worked my way round the entire engine......decided to try the newer Conti TB and it resolved all the issues. smooth power delivery and the car also felt more responsive.

100K on the VDO TB and it was an early one too.
Mike

South Coast

Offline ZoliWorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2024, 07:11:26 pm »
I've definitely had a symptom where it felt like the car would accelerate, then ease off, then accelerate again but not sure if it's my throttle body failing or if it was my broken turbo that underboosted by 0.4 bar and what I felt as a slight hesitation was just the N75 kicking in to compensate.

I haven't felt anything like that on the K04. I'll make a note to replace the TB when all else is taken care of. Currently doing fueling stuff.

Does this look like the correct TB?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145442141135?epid=1537643366&itmmeta=01HXYPV1EKVXNWD15KA5HTH4EJ&hash=item21dd06f3cf:g:8HoAAOSwuc1lV3CA&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA4A0C%2BElAklksld8C3r%2F3Pl2HY3SUMEa%2BdfHnfZ2vyd5fNDDajHtLGJJte9EoIwsEdjYy8fVmSTN4BtCXPfq0NXOcdT812Qm5yDgdedNZAAnQldo%2FdoPCLOtib7Fp7kGe7doDw8TWYpm7yHNjsXBjpv6QhaZsoNq2pyXbNDsBwxQN5tYyENhUVBaAyNikwqBWP0Y4bYW2AQwRKmSXS1znEBX9M6FFnfszOlGfbnznkzZTX82RvXTF0WKjDO1sxCGWuswXBZWf8xoRNrokGWNPjBoGvdF7xD20vx5mWX7JL1Ii%7Ctkp%3ABFBMsJfs1u9j

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2024, 08:14:21 am »
That is the one, but does not look in great shape to be honest.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 09:39:11 am by mjmallia »
Mike

South Coast

Offline ZoliWorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2024, 08:40:10 am »
When accelerating it would sometimes feel like the power was being held back for a second and then return, hot or cold.

Boost would suddenly drop on my gauge and return, and felt like something stuck and then suddenly opened......hard to describe.

I could not figure it out and had worked my way round the entire engine......decided to try the newer Conti TB and it resolved all the issues. smooth power delivery and the car also felt more responsive.

100K on the VDO TB and it was an early one too.

Actually now that I think about it, this is exactly what my 1.4 TSI is doing. Under load, such as when climbing a hill or just driving spiritedly, the car sometimes just lets out a puff and drops power for a second, as if all cylinders would misfire at the same time. I've also had the car die a few times both right after starting or after coming to a stop. At one point it even gave me a fault code for the TB being faulty but I ignored it because it didn't really show any symptoms then.

In other news, I've looked into my fueling issues. The current rail pressure map is stock so it only requests 120-122 bar most of the time but 4th gear and above it requests 130 bar since it also requests 0.1 bar more boost pressure.

I think my FPRV is failing as it might be leaking fuel out of the rail. After letting the car sit for the night, when I open the door, the electric fuel pump kicks in and there's a noise coming from the engine that sounds like you're pumping water out of a syringe but it's half full of air. It also takes a couple of cranks for the engine to start in this scenario. Even if it starts after 3 cranks, it dies right after and has to crank 2 more times till it fully starts up. Tho no issues if I cycle the pump twice, starts right up 2nd crank.

I'll be replacing my fuel pump internals with the VIS motorsport 165 bar internals and I'll be fitting an Audi RS4 FPRV. I'll be doing the valve first to see if it helps with anything or if there's an actual leak somewhere in the system.

While the car drives strong, I feel like it really doesn't like the current setup with cut-back fuel pressure and stock injectors, like it's constantly yearning for more  :grin:

Offline ZoliWorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2024, 12:03:51 am »
Alright, update time.

I've replaced my FPRV but the issue still persists. However, I revisited an old 2008 thread and realized my memory was slightly off. I was under the impression that you only needed the upgraded pump for 130bar or more pressure and only above 5k rpm. Turns out, you need it for 110bar and anywhere from 3.5k to 5k rpm as the stock pump cant move the required volume of fuel, hence why the fuel cuts. Safe to say my next step is getting some pump internals.

Attached a log where the fuel cuts are visible. Will be back with an update once I've upgraded my pump.

That valve is in quite an annoying spot to reach. Had to cut and weld a wrench for it.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 12:18:26 am by ZoliWorks »

Offline ZoliWorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Alright, update time!

2 days ago I went for a few highway pulls to check whether my pump has failed or it's just unable to exceed 120 bar under 5k rpm. Floored the car in 2nd till 7k, shifted, dropping to 5k and repeated it in 3rd and 4th. Well what do you know, the car ran just fine, no hiccups, no fuel cuts, no nothing, 130bar just fine.

Yesterday I took off my pump, inspected the cam follower and the cam lobe. The follower was replaced aprox 4k km ago and has started to wear out in the normal spot; the dot in the middle. Cam lobe looked fine and paired up with the usual follower wear, I crossed a "failed camshaft" off my list.

Also yesterday I sent my pump to a local shop, Vis Motorsport, to be completely cleaned and rebuilt with uprated parts for 175 bar fuel pressure. Today the shop messaged back that they rebuilt my pump but also wanted to let me know 2 very important things.

One, my engine is quite dirty inside, which I was already aware of. Whoever owned the car previously neglected the oil changes, or only did oil changes in 30k km. How does he know my engine is dirty? Well due to the amount of buildup in my HPFP! He said my pump was one of the dirtiest that he has ever worked with. He recommends I take off the oil pan, get it cleaned, clean the oil pickup line, replace the oil pump as it's a ticking time bomb and also get a freewheel to disable the balance shafts as I have a high chance of both the oil pump and the balance shaft toothed wheel failing. Both of which could be catastrophic for my engine.
After I mentioned that people on the forums said disabling the balance shafts would cause extra vibrations and noise, he said that's nonsense and anyone who is having those issues either has worn out engine mounts or uses reinforced sports engine mounts.
He also said I should flush my engine at least twice and start using performance oils, such as Motul 300V 5W40.

Two, the surprising bit, as I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere whatsoever. Apparently there are 2 generations of fuel feed lines that lead to the pump. The first generation which uses a banjo bolt and the second generation which uses a rubber hose to connect the metal fuel pipe to the HPFP. In both cases, there's a fuel limiter that limits the amount of fuel that can pass through, making your LPFP work way harder to feed your HPFP. He suggest drilling out this limiter hole to 5mm. This will help preserve your LPFP. He said either drill out the limiter hole or fit the newer generation fuel lines and drill out the limiter in the bit that comes screwed into the pump.

In the case of the older fuel lines with the banjo bolt, the restriction is in the form of a cast iron shield with a 1.71mm hole in it on the metal fuel line (pic 1). In the case of the later generation fuel lines with the rubber hose, it's mounted directly into the pump (pic 2).

I've asked him about the new generation cam follower retrofit kit, which ads a spacer to your pump and lets you use the newer roller based cam follower. He said this does more bad than good. It modifies the pump opening/closing times, which messes with the fuel pressure regulator ontop of the pump. He said simply keep the stock follower as that's what the engine was designed with and keep track of how much it's worn out.

Tomorrow I'll be fitting the rebuilt/uprated pump and also drilling my fuel limiter out. I'll go for a few pulls to see if anything changes and if stuff works now, I'll put back the aggressive fueling map to see if stuff finally works as it should. Afterwards, I'll be doing an engine flush and an oil change as I've been half a year on my current oil already.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 06:29:01 pm by ZoliWorks »

Offline ZoliWorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Alright, over the last 3 days the HPFP arrived, I've drilled out the fuel line, fitted the pump and had my buddy install the aggressive tune. The car now requests and holds 130-135 bar pressure just fine, occasionally jumping to 140 bar. When it jumps to 140, I assume the release valve cracks open cause I lose power for a second or so, but this only happens at 5k rpm in 4th gear when doing a pull from standstill. Will most likely get this valve replaced with a higher pressure valve. Also I'll likely have to replace my LPFP as it's failing. It delivers a constant 4.5 bar pressure under load, but if I leave the car standing, in 2 hours it loses all rail pressure and the low pressure lines fill with air.

The pump was taken apart, cleaned, lubed, fitted with an uprated 175 bar piston and rod then assembled. All seals were replaced with new ones, everything tightened to spec and marked. The regulator, pressure sensor and bleeder valve are the old ones, gut cleaned electrostatically, along with the rest of the pump.

Now that the car is running pretty much perfectly, has all the power I could of wanted, I think I'll take it slower going forward. Injectors are planned next but I might hold off on them in favor of a Ta-Technix Intercooler. I'm picking this over the S3 cooler since it's 55mm thick. The car also needs an AC radiator and seals since it cant hold pressure whatsoever. Some suspension bushings, new shocks, uprated sway bars and end links would also help. And lets not forget about brakes. My GTI brakes are not as good as I want them to be.