Make a donation

Author Topic: Fuel gauge dropping way too fast after turning AC ON  (Read 1225 times)

Offline lmsam_

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Fuel gauge dropping way too fast after turning AC ON
« on: May 26, 2024, 11:54:14 am »
Hello everyone!

This in my first post on this platform. I'm a proud owner of a golf mk5 gti USA spec, 2006 model.

Yesterday I went for a 100 km ride, and by half way (50 km) I noticed that the fuel gauge was half, out of nowhere. However the fuel consumption on the display, was the normal one, 8.5-9L / 100 km.
Usually on my gti, the fuel gauge does not move until you do 100-150 km, then it starts to drop.

During the beginning of the ride, I turned AC on, however it was smelling weird and I turned it off, together with the vent level (all to 0 level). Nevertheless, even though that the AC light was off, you could feel this strange smell (such as when you turn on AC for the very first time) and also there was still cold air coming from the vents (with everything turned off), even though that it was 28ยบ C outside.

This is the first time it happens and when coming back today (again another 100 km) I had to stop by half way to refuel the car, cause the fuel gauge was dropping way too fast.

I have to highlight that I did not move the car for 2 months as I was on business trips and I do my yearly maintenance. Oil level, refrigerant etc... it's good, what do you think it can be the issue? It's the first time it happens after 4 years.

Thanks!!