Make a donation

Author Topic: spelling correction  (Read 12756 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: spelling correction
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2010, 09:35:24 am »

My old boss was dyslexic and it was great some of the stuff he wrote... even he laughed at most of it. Especially the time when he wrote a note to the general manager asking that he couldn't get in to the chemical room because of the keypad lock and he needed 'axes' (instead of access). The GM came to me and asked if I thought we really did need axes to break the door down in an emergency   :grin:

:signLOL: Nice one!

Being able to laugh at yourself is so very important no matter what your 'problem' is.   :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2010, 09:42:20 am »

My old boss was dyslexic and it was great some of the stuff he wrote... even he laughed at most of it. Especially the time when he wrote a note to the general manager asking that he couldn't get in to the chemical room because of the keypad lock and he needed 'axes' (instead of access). The GM came to me and asked if I thought we really did need axes to break the door down in an emergency   :grin:

:signLOL: Nice one!

Being able to laugh at yourself is so very important no matter what your 'problem' is.   :happy2:
I agree. If you can't laugh at yourself, you shouldn't even consider laughing at anyone else!
I laugh at myself every day... and I have loads of 'problems'  :grin:

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2010, 12:01:38 pm »
The brought/bought one is one of the most common on here I have noticed. Does my head in. It's up there with people using YOUR instead of YOU'RE  :fighting:

YOUR is something that belongs to you, i.e. "YOUR car is nice"
YOU'RE is an abreviation of you are, i.e. "YOU'RE a genius"

"Could of" instead of "could have" is one of my biggest gripes, along with your/you're and there/they're/their.

FOR SALE!

Offline billstein9

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2010, 12:36:14 pm »
hello all.
I was not meaning to offend anyone. i am not the worlds best speller by far and i am not shy of that fact.
All i was saying is that, like many others, it is something i have noticed in alot of posts. Its not spelt incorrect its just the wrong word.
Like red robin said it is clear to see the differences.
If anyone was offended i am truly sorry.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2010, 10:12:45 pm »
Seriously have you lot not got anything better to worry about than the way people try to express themselves on a car forum?  :stupid:

I've only just read through this thread and quite frankly I'm amazed at the snobbery and sheer lack of respect at peoples varying abilities to either spell/write or express themselves. I'm no brain surgeon and I'm sure I make my fair share of these perceived 'mistakes' and I also see some of the instances that are being referred to, but hey I've got far worse/better things to worry about and I for one would not persecute anyone if they were not up to anyone's 'standards'.

Take a chill pill chaps and focus your energies on something worthwhile.........  :confused:

:drinking:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2010, 12:03:18 am »
^^^^
Tee Hee  :grin:

Nath, you could apply most of that to absolutely any discussion on a car forum which wasn't a dry and very specifically car related topic.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline divweir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2010, 07:42:32 pm »
Seriously have you lot not got anything better to worry about than the way people try to express themselves on a car forum?  :stupid:

I've only just read through this thread and quite frankly I'm amazed at the snobbery and sheer lack of respect at peoples varying abilities to either spell/write or express themselves. I'm no brain surgeon and I'm sure I make my fair share of these perceived 'mistakes' and I also see some of the instances that are being referred to, but hey I've got far worse/better things to worry about and I for one would not persecute anyone if they were not up to anyone's 'standards'.

Take a chill pill chaps and focus your energies on something worthwhile.........  :confused:    here hear  :congrats:

Sig to big.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2010, 04:41:34 pm »

Just try to remember this is a car forum not f*cking mensa.

....I've just noticed this quote thanks to stokeballoon's sig.

Steve, you're implying that to contribute to a car forum you need to fall very short of being intelligent.

Don't you think that it's better to aspire to being able to communicate effectively than just being careless and lazy? (not talking about true dyslexia sufferers).

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2010, 08:24:42 pm »

Steve, you're implying that to contribute to a car forum you need to fall very short of being intelligent.

Don't you think that it's better to aspire to being able to communicate effectively than just being careless and lazy? (not talking about true dyslexia sufferers).

Robin i know you like to try and wind Steve up, but honestly this thread has gone on too long now.  :fighting: can you just suffer in silence please, like we all do at times.  :wink:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2010, 10:11:37 pm »

Robin i know you like to try and wind Steve up, but honestly this thread has gone on too long now.  :fighting: can you just suffer in silence please, like we all do at times.  :wink:

....Yes, of course, I will "suffer in silence" and leave the subject by only saying that my post was a genuine reaction to his words rather than a wind-up.

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2010, 10:26:52 pm »
Well I shall leave my genuine reply until the morning as issues in the "real world" need be dealt with first.

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2010, 09:28:48 pm »

Have I ever said I don't want people to put effort into the way they communicate with others on this site? The site rules are very clear that the likes of text speak are not welcomed and if people start using things like ALL CAPS in a post this is also dealt with.

I have always seen the benefit of a forum such as this is that is it's here to help promote a friendly, welcoming and non-judgmental environment for people to get help, share ideas and have some fun. To do that I don't see how a few spelling and grammar mistakes means a person should be made to feel like a second class member of the forum like some have tried to achieve in this very thread.

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2010, 10:55:39 am »
it did make me laugh reading this how pedantic people can be!

anyway this thread is a contradiction in terms. 

hello all.
I was not meaning to offend anyone. i am not the worlds best speller by far and i am not shy of that fact.
All i was saying is that, like many others, it is something i have noticed in alot of posts. Its not spelt incorrect its just the wrong word.
Like red robin said it is clear to see the differences.
If anyone was offended i am truly sorry.

that is not a word!  :P

Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2010, 05:11:51 pm »
I wasn't going to bother replying in this thread any further but a professional lawyer friend (without any knowledge of this discussion 'ere like), says:

"Correct spelling, grammar, capitalisation and so on is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and being complicit in your Uncle's sexual offence."

I rest my case.  :smiley:

Offline boxxer1973

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2010, 08:44:00 pm »
What we all have to remember, is not everybody who uses this forums first language is English. I myself am Welsh and was taught in a Welsh speaking and grammatically school. I'm sure there are people from all over Europe that use this forum.Chrome helps with the spelling but not always.   

Mk5 golf Gti REVO. stg2+
Milltek | Auto tech | White line | Forge | REVO | KW | Quaife | helix clutch |