Make a donation

Author Topic: Dodds GTTDi180  (Read 65219 times)

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
Re: Dodds GT TDI (181 bhp) :-D
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2011, 12:54:33 pm »
looking spot on mate,what happened with the rest of the bits in the pipeline, you been to the bodyshop. should be looking awesome once sorted!!

Cheers  :happy2: Got Eibach Pro Springs waiting to be fitted, and my Votex Roof Spoiler awaiting painting. My paint guy is on holiday til Monday so haven;t been able to get my Votex Front Valance, Roof Spoiler and GTI Rear Valance painted yet (in the right shade this time)  :stupid:

Thats pretty much it for goodies this month. Oh, I do have an MDI unit but need to get my butt into gear and buy the correct loom from Demon666 and figure out how to feed it thru from the armrest to the back of the RCD510.

Oh, yeah and I need to fit some Osram Night Breaker Plus's I got in the post the other day...

...and order myself a set of Philips Diamond Vision for the Hi-beam...

...and get my bubbling wing seen to (inspect by VW and claim or get it painted independantly)...

...and finally I need to book it in for an interim service soon...!  :confused:

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2011, 12:58:59 pm »
...and fit my winter tyres to my original 16" Alloys, then fit alloys to car...

...then fit all the painted bits to my car, or should I wait til after the bad weather?...

... then put my BBS wheels in for a refurb in gunmetal grey...  :happy2:

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2011, 01:00:51 pm »
Did you get a votex splitter mate?  There is one in the for sale section for 100 quid.  :happy2:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,35517.0.html

Thank for the shout Lee but I managed to pick one up on eBay for £65. Brand spanking new, unopened in the original VW Box with all the fitting kit and instructions.  :happy2:

EDIT: Arrghh, new page! New pics up soon, I promise. Possibly of a pair of winter tyres I've bought, and another pair I'm collecting tomorrow.  :wink:

Offline ali6n2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2011, 04:00:43 pm »
I was in a similer dilemma mate (with getting bits painting before winter). Decided to go for it, if the paint job is decent dont see it being a problem.

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2011, 10:08:53 pm »
Update:

Black headlights - fitted
Osram Nightbreaker Plus - ordered and delivered
Philips Diamond Vision - ordered and delivered
Winter tyres - bought and fitted to wheels. STILL too warm to put them on!!  :surprised:
18" BBS RD Wheels refurb - to be delivered to painter as soon as it gets cold enough for my winter tyres to go on.
Rusty wing - will take to VW same time as I go for my service. Apparently a new (better) pricing plan is coming out in Dec 1st so I'm holding my breath til then.  :wink:
Eibach Pro Springs - Fitted.  :happy2:
GTI Steering wheel - to be fitted once I get my spline tool (M12) back from my mate.
Spoiler, Valance and Bumper paint - who knows when, anybody got some spare dollar?

And I've no idea what I'm gonna do with leather door cards...  :happy2:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 08:18:08 am by dodds-gttdi »

Offline Bilo

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2011, 09:46:39 am »
Hey Dodds.

Just had a read through this, nice work so far. Love the CH's in the colour you had them re-furbed in, why did you get rid? I'm getting mine powder coated so they're all black (i.e. no polished lip) which means it'll be on winters until the spring..... not winter rubber mind, just some old wheels that I don't mind getting even more battered.

You get your door cards fitted yet? It's a bitch changing them but once you've done it a couple of times it does get easier.

Did you go for the decat down pipe? It's certainly something I'll be fitting when I have some spare cash.....

one more question I promise  :P how's your clutch holding out after the re-map? you still on the original one? Changed mine over before my re-map (only 105 to 147bhp) but still up to 280 lb torque which is fairly near the 300 limit on the standard clutch. If I go for a stage 2, with some other bits I'll deff be getting an uprated clutch....

woops, I appear to have written a dissertation.....

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2011, 10:21:10 am »
Hey Billo,

Yeah, I loved the BBC CH's as well, especially in that colour. However they had just too low an offset, combined with the springs I had on back then didn't make for a good match with my arches. I ended up getting a bit of rubbing & removal of paint.  :sad1:

Your car would look good with the gunmetal CH's (If I'm honest I've never liked black alloys).  :wink:

I have a set of winter wheels and tyres (brand new tyres) but I haven't even bothered putting them on this year as it's way above 7 degrees these days. You'll love your car whatever colour you get your wheels done in tho. Just something to freshen it up.  :happy2:

Not got the door cards on yet. Tbh I haven't even had time to look at them yet. Work and uni has been hectic this last month. there's a few DIY tutorials online that show you how to do it so I should manage.

Yeah, I did go for the decat downpipe? It's the Milltek Turbo Back exhaust so full bore 3 inch (I think) straight to the back bock then thru the box and out. The tips are GT 80 style. Definitely feel it revs a little freer altho the biggest difference I felt was when I replaced the back box with a thru pipe.

My (original) clutch is doing good at the minute. It's probably a close race between that and my turbo which one will give up first!!  :scared: That is a pretty decent torque figure you have on your car for just a remap, who done that for you? Are you feeling any clutch slip at the minute? I've a friend who's run his mapped TDI on the original clutch for over 35000 miles and had no problem.

Anyway, good to see another TDI person on here. One mod I'd recommend is lower valance for the back of your car. Totally trasforms the look and there are millions of options out there. YOu can go for the OEM GTI or R32 valances altho they both have tailpipe cut-outs. If you do some good searching on eBay you will be able to find both the R32 and GTI valance (copies) without cut-outs tho.

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2011, 10:23:28 am »
I was in a similer dilemma mate (with getting bits painting before winter). Decided to go for it, if the paint job is decent dont see it being a problem.

Waiting til after Christmas to get my valance & spoiler painted as the amount of stonechips (grit, stones, etc) will hopefully be a lot less by the end of January. Plus Christmas has left me fairly skint and my insurance renewal is due in a couple of months. Saving up is all I'll be up to for a wee while just now...

...famous last words.  :wink:

Offline Bilo

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2011, 12:22:58 pm »

Your car would look good with the gunmetal CH's (If I'm honest I've never liked black alloys).  :wink:

Yeah, I did go for the decat downpipe? It's the Milltek Turbo Back exhaust so full bore 3 inch (I think) straight to the back bock then thru the box and out. The tips are GT 80 style. Definitely feel it revs a little freer altho the biggest difference I felt was when I replaced the back box with a thru pipe.

My (original) clutch is doing good at the minute. It's probably a close race between that and my turbo which one will give up first!!  :scared: That is a pretty decent torque figure you have on your car for just a remap, who done that for you? Are you feeling any clutch slip at the minute? I've a friend who's run his mapped TDI on the original clutch for over 35000 miles and had no problem.

Anyway, good to see another TDI person on here. One mod I'd recommend is lower valance for the back of your car. Totally trasforms the look and there are millions of options out there. YOu can go for the OEM GTI or R32 valances altho they both have tailpipe cut-outs. If you do some good searching on eBay you will be able to find both the R32 and GTI valance (copies) without cut-outs tho.

Furry muff dude! I've always wanted black wheels and I love em, each to their own though man.

Is it any louder without the back box? I might consider a through pipe as an option in the future then...

R-Tech in Leicester did my re-map and RR. Highly recommend them! They were pretty impressed with the read outs, apparently I have a strong engine lol. Clutch is fine, I replaced before the map when my DMF ate itself, I now run a SMF. I get a very slight slip if I'm not too progressive with my acceleration, which basically means that I don't nail it too early on.

Yeah I'm well accustomed to trawling fleabay for stuff, can get a lot more on the German site too! Will definitely be a votex rear valance though when I get the monies together....... when I'm about 100 years old......  :signLOL:   

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: December 23, 2011, 12:28:36 pm »
had my remap done by r-tech,excellent map on the orig clutch-turbos well thats a long story :signLOL:

Offline Bilo

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: December 23, 2011, 12:42:06 pm »
yeah they're good blokes. Just read your build thread on ukmkivs.... had a few problems then... I thought it was the GT 170's that were more prone to tubo fail etc?

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: December 23, 2011, 12:55:01 pm »
yeah they're good blokes. Just read your build thread on ukmkivs.... had a few problems then... I thought it was the GT 170's that were more prone to tubo fail etc?
had just a few problems :signLOL:--no the early 140 were turbos,cylinder haes and the abs pumps failing  the 170 are the injectors

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: December 23, 2011, 01:51:52 pm »
had just a few problems :signLOL:--no the early 140 were turbos,cylinder haes and the abs pumps failing  the 170 are the injectors

You pair are filling me with confidence.  :scared: lol. Maxitrol, what turbo are you running now? If mine does go bang I'd bee looking to replace it with something close to OEM in terms of power output (maybe 200 bhp mark) but definitely a lot stronger/more reliable. Also are you running the standard clutch?

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: December 23, 2011, 01:57:14 pm »

You pair are filling me with confidence.  :scared: lol. Maxitrol, what turbo are you running now? If mine does go bang I'd bee looking to replace it with something close to OEM in terms of power output (maybe 200 bhp mark) but definitely a lot stronger/more reliable. Also are you running the standard clutch?
[/quot

still on standard turbo has its been under warranty--to be fair thou its thier was a under lining fault some wher in the engine that was filling the turbos with oil--but my car as been in the garage since august  :sad1:

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2011, 02:35:17 pm »

still on standard turbo as its been under warranty--to be fair tho its there was a underlying fault somewhere in the engine that was filling the turbos with oil - but my car has been in the garage since august  :sad1:

Man, not good to hear. What power did you have it mapped to? Are you considering a hybrid turbo?