Make a donation

Author Topic: Gtechniq Glass Sealant Kit  (Read 23141 times)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8vffcep3f4epqqpp969kpomepa&/topic,19740.0.html
Gtechniq Glass Sealant Kit
« on: February 28, 2012, 12:53:04 pm »
Why
I bought this as an alternative to RainX. RainX is great but doesnt last very long, Gtechniq G1 is reported to last up to 20-30K miles

Sourcing
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-and-exterior/gtechniq-glass-sealant-kit/prod_911.html

Or google it, its sold at a load of places including ebay I imagine.

Fitting
Use the Gtechniq G4 nano polish as you would any other car polish, the remove it. Now follow the steps in the video.

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

(Yes, i know... he does sound a bit dull doesnt he?)

My kit didnt come with anything to apply it with so I used some of those cotton wool cleansing pads. (if you have a girlfriend/wife/mistress, you'll have some lying around)

Other versions
RainX
Car-Lack
... probably quite a few more.

Plus Points
Very easy to use the polish and the G1 product.
Works very well when moving at about 40mph or faster.
Windscreen wipers seem to become much more effective, one wipe and any water on the screen disappears instantly. (will get another video when it rains next)

Heres a little clip from yesterday, it was raining quite heavily and I was traveling at 70MPH (your honour). As you can see, there is no need to use the windscreen wipers at all.

[ Invalid YouTube link ]
Sorry for the poor quality video.

Minus Points
The Gtechniq G1 is quite hard to remove even with the G2 residue remover, especially once you've built up 3 coats on the windscreen.
Not so good at low speeds, but much less wiper action is required.
Requires a little more application of washer fluid when cleaning the windscreen due to the repellence of the product.
More expensive than RainX.

Summary
So far, so good. Im impressed with the product. The only thing that remains to be seen is how long it lasts.

Rich
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 09:11:55 pm by richwig83 »

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re: Gtechniq Glass Sealant Kit
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 01:35:11 pm »
Why
I bought this as an alternative to RainX. RainX is great but doesnt last very long, Gtechniq C1 is reported to last up to 20-30K miles

Minus Points
especially once you've built up 3 coats on the windscreen.

3 Coats of C1 on the screen would be hard to remove  :grin: :grin:

Seriously though i'm using Nanolex Ultra and have been impressed by it's results. It apparently lasts up to 18 months (we shall see) but in the first 3-4 months it has been on it is still going strong. Works similar to the G1 over about 40mph. It will move water at 30+mph if the droplets are big enough.

Heard good things about G1/G3 and if i didn't already have Nanolex i'd be giving it a whirl :happy2:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8vffcep3f4epqqpp969kpomepa&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 01:40:29 pm »
Amended  :booty:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 02:52:16 pm »
I have G3. It works at 30mph for sure. Longevity is an issue and I found the rolling stopped after two months, but it still sheeted water better than any paint sealant four months on. Still awesome on the side windows at four months.

I applied the G3 last night and found it did smear the first few times I used the wipers, though that's now settled.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 12:42:16 pm »
I have G3. It works at 30mph for sure. Longevity is an issue and I found the rolling stopped after two months, but it still sheeted water better than any paint sealant four months on. Still awesome on the side windows at four months.

I applied the G3 last night and found it did smear the first few times I used the wipers, though that's now settled.

Cool... one of the reasons I'm trying the G1 is longevity.  :happy2:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 06:46:00 pm »
Another little video....

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 07:01:30 pm »
Gah! I'm tempted to bin my G3. Need to go look up what I'm doing wrong. I originally applied it back in Oct 2011, having polished the glass with G4. Applied G4 all over and it lasted two months. Redid it all two weeks ago and it's pretty much gone! No beading whatsoever!

:fighting:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 07:12:17 pm »
Gah! I'm tempted to bin my G3. Need to go look up what I'm doing wrong. I originally applied it back in Oct 2011, having polished the glass with G4. Applied G4 all over and it lasted two months. Redid it all two weeks ago and it's pretty much gone! No beading whatsoever!

Try Nanolex Ultra. I applied mine about 4 months ago and it is still beading like day one. Certainly the best I've used.

I applied mine as follows:

Washed, Snowfoamed the car as normal.
Clayed the glass
Polished with Nanolex glass polish
Applied Ultra and buffed off after a couple of minutes.
Applied second coat 24hrs later and again buffed off after a couple of minutes.

Did that on all the windows and haven't needed to apply since.

I have been tempted by the GTechniq offering but as I still have half a bottle of Nanolex I don't think it will be anytime soon I change.

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 09:05:56 pm »

Rob at Gtechniq recommends G1 on the front screen. I've got it on the front & back of both cars (and headlights) and its great - I've got G3 on the side windows + mirrors and thats good :happy2:

Stealth don't bin the G3, give it to me :signLOL:

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 09:10:43 pm »
What confuses me is that I've applied it the same way on two occasions and it has had different effects.

I've have a look into Nanolex.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 09:13:20 pm »
Could be the temperature when applied. I know when it's colder they say let it cure for a bit longer.

Doesn't really apply with the Nanolex though as it flashes off very quickly. I've never left it any longer than a couple of mins.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 09:14:26 pm »

Have you tried the G1 Jas?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 10:17:38 pm »
No. When I ordered the kit G1 was out of stock in most places, so I went with G3+G4.

You might be right about temperature. It was a lot warmer when I applied it the first time.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 10:15:53 am »
So nearly 8 weeks down the line and 4-5k miles and its still working great.  :happy2:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 07:58:03 pm »
Well... i had to buy some more and re-apply because it had worn off!  :rolleye: