Make a donation

Author Topic: Front wing rust warranty success!!  (Read 339663 times)

Offline Daveyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Re: Front wing rust warranty success!!
« Reply #1065 on: December 01, 2015, 01:29:35 pm »
To be honest mate I haven't a clue and was in a bit of a rush so forgot to ask. I'll ring them later and find out

Offline Hannakournikova

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #1066 on: December 01, 2015, 08:49:40 pm »
Still waiting to hear back on mine. Apparently their flat out with wing replacements at the moment.

Offline bingbunny

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #1067 on: December 01, 2015, 09:19:13 pm »
Ok so I took mine to my local dealer last week about the bubbles showing on the wheel arches. He did paint thickness test and found no fault. He then explained to me that because its right on the edge of the arch that it wouldn't be covered.

I went home and read the terms and conditions of the warrantee and found no information to say that it shouldn't be covered.

I then wrote a letter to VW UK and said that under the terms provided and agreed, my wheel arches should be covered under the warrantee. Obviously stating that any communication with myself may be used as part of litigation.

I was quickly contacted by VW and they have been in contact with my local dealer and requested that I go back so they can have another look. They did re state that it may not be covered as the area the rust is showing is likely to be caused from water and the warrantee does not cover outside elements (bullsh*t).

To help me, and most likely help you guys, or people in the future. I will post a photo of my arches and the area of rust. If someone can post or PM photos of rust in the same location and information to show that it WAS covered under the warrantee and fixed by VW, I will give this information to my solicitor to proceed with action. I will then be happy to provide my solicitors details to anyone who gets denied in the future with the same issue.

Hi mate

Can you please PM me a copy of the letter you sent and also your solicitors details please

Just had a call back from VW to take more info, the chap said he needs to call the retailer as it's the retailers decision and not theirs. And tried feeding me with bullsh*t about the difference between corrosion and perforation. I suspect when he calls me back he will decline my case. He also said whatever the decision will be final! I better start preparing to take this further so any help from you will be greatly appreciated

I just sent a complaint through the VW UK website form. They called me very quickly to sort the matter out. All communication has been via phone (not surprised) but I need to get my car back to the local VW retailer for another inspection. Once that is done I will get the results in writing and send it to my solicitor.

Once my solicitor has reviewed it and decided if I have a case, I will get back on here and see if anyone else wants to join in. I use a no win no fee for this type of thing as all I am after is getting my car fixed and not fussed about all the rest. The person I use is very quick and on it and likes to get these sort of things done and dusted as quick as possible.

Ill keep you updated.

Offline trancem

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #1068 on: December 02, 2015, 03:55:31 pm »
Thank you. I had a call back from VW today. He said they've spoke to the retailer and that they are sticking to their decision and that their decision is final. Cheeky f*cker even said that he will close the case and if I want to take it any further then I need to seek independent advice.

Just to recap, they offered to do the driver side wing 100%, they refused the passenger side wing due to a previous respray, and they offered 50% contribution on both sills and bootlid

Is it worth taking this further? 

Offline Ditto

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #1069 on: December 02, 2015, 05:02:13 pm »
That sounds like the official line I had from VW dealers too....

From what I found was the wings are done FOC providing there is no sign of previous bodywork repairs. There is an official bulletin for the wings and is widely reported.

The sills are offered as a 50% "goodwill" gesture, although dealers do recognise this a common problem - whilst mine was in, there were two others having their sills/wings done too!

There however seems to be goodwill from "some" dealers depending on circumstances, to do the sills FOC as others and I have experienced. My experience after a little initial quibble was a great experience and the dealer was very helpful.

It seems the anti-perforation warranty doesn't really count for much or have much clout.

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #1070 on: December 04, 2015, 03:06:59 pm »
Just got mine back from the dealers.  On initial inspection both wings look to be a very good colour match on my tornado red.

Took 5 days to do.

I got a quote to respray bonnet at same time :£370, which I didn't go ahead with due to the cost. 

Dealer has been brilliant, no negatives to report at all. 

Offline Ditto

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #1071 on: December 04, 2015, 10:43:02 pm »
@shail exactly the same with me too, even the colour. Did you get yours blended?

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #1072 on: December 04, 2015, 10:52:52 pm »
@Ditto no blending on mine.  They said if it was needed i could decide at the time, but they never called, as I assume they also thought the match was good. 

Problem now is that the rest of the paintwork looks a bit swirly and in need of correction!

Offline Ditto

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #1073 on: December 04, 2015, 10:55:16 pm »
@shail same with me too. Where did you get it done? I was really pleased with the result as I heard red was hard to match! Problem is same as you, wish I'd had the stone chips done!

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #1074 on: December 04, 2015, 11:06:07 pm »
@shail same with me too. Where did you get it done? I was really pleased with the result as I heard red was hard to match! Problem is same as you, wish I'd had the stone chips done!

Listers in Coventry.  Initially went to my local Listers who referred me to Coventry as they are the ones with a body shop. 

Offline Daveyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #1075 on: December 05, 2015, 12:46:16 am »
Success :-)) what was the recall they were on about?
Found out the recall is the coilpack so I'm happy enough that I've had a brand new genuine wing and coil pack fitted for nothing

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #1076 on: December 05, 2015, 04:19:10 am »
What's the best way to prevent rust from starting in the first place?
Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #1077 on: December 05, 2015, 09:30:29 am »

Keep it clean in he winter.  Keep it garaged out of the elements (dehumidified even better). Prevent scratches / damage to the paint (paint shield / clear vinyl should help protect the paint)

That's about all there is to it?

Offline Daveyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #1078 on: December 05, 2015, 01:13:09 pm »
What's the best way to prevent rust from starting in the first place?
As above mate keep it clean during the winter months while there's loads of salt on the road. Like said a clear protective vynal around the areas that are most vulnerable to stone chips

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #1079 on: December 05, 2015, 02:59:30 pm »
Cheers both, yep I'll try and keep it clean.

I was thinking of the VW bulletin which states that the foam arch liner is cut. But according to the PDF, the design was changed in 2007 anyway.

http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5/rust_wing/2009Nov9CorrosionToGolkMk5FrontWing.pdf
Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)