Make a donation

Author Topic: Edition 30 - what first ?  (Read 10645 times)

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Edition 30 - what first ?
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2009, 11:26:54 pm »
Sorry to drag this up and spam the thread at the same time, but I for one am getting quite tired at the baiting of Robin ... he's been around  this and the 'other' forum a lot longer than some guys here and been around longer full stop ( :laugh:)  Whatever you may think about his mods or perceived relationship with any tuners/companies, I think there is a point when the 'banter', 'baiting' or whatever you want to call it crosses a line and becomes disrespectful.  I think this line is being crossed now and I hope it doesn't carry on as it poisons the atmosphere in the forum. 

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2009, 11:50:37 pm »
^^^^
I appreciate what you're saying Nadeem, but any 'conflicts' involving myself and some members of this forum have now been peacefully resolved.

There are absolutely no hard feelings and we have ALL learnt from our 'mistakes'.

It's inevitable that people clash from time to time - We're all only human.

I don't know what else to say except that no more needs to be said, my friend.

Peace :grouphug:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2009, 11:54:08 pm »
Back on topic....

One question.....Do Milltek flow test their systems on each model for maximum efficiency? Do they have the facilities for this? 

....Good question! I don't know the definitive answer but find it difficult to imagine that they don't. Afterall, flow is extremely important as I understand it.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2009, 11:58:21 pm »
No problem Robin... I actually saw the recent post on this thread and felt I had to say something... didn't realise that the 16th july was a few days ago  :signIWS:  Sort of lost track of time abroad so I am out of synch with whats going on here as I couldn't log in too much while there.  :happy2:  But I am glad things are back to normal  :grouphug:

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2009, 07:32:27 am »
Robin, I do believe you are trying to defend Milltek by questioning the way I have tried to contact them and to a degree suggesting it's my issue for not chasing them down at shows etc but as we always tend to say here ETTO.  :smiley:

Also my comment you have quoted is purely saying that there is more of a market out there than just Milltek.

The quality of their product is OK and generally I have been happy with the system, there are some things I personally have grown to dislike and this was the reason for attempting to contact them.

As they haven't bothered to acknowledge my questions/comments this is what has lead me to say I wouldn't recommend them and if I can find a suitable alternative I would look to sell on the Milltek.

>I have chosen the APR and must say that it's impressive how the can displace the sound to the rear of the car, have a friend with the milltek, excellent quality, but the sound is so different. Try the APR and you won't look back  :driver:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2009, 10:58:37 am »

>I have chosen the APR and must say that it's impressive how the can displace the sound to the rear of the car, have a friend with the milltek, excellent quality, but the sound is so different. Try the APR and you won't look back 

....Yes, I was impressed with the APR when I rode in WhiteGTI's - I found it generally sounded louder outside the car than inside and it's a very sporty exhaust note, 'harsher' (less low frequencies) than the Milltek to my musician's ears. Personally, I wanted to hear more from inside the car throughout the rev range, but that's just me. I need another ride, Chris!

I would describe the Milltek sound as 'stronger' (more low frequencies and with greater range) but closer to the sound of a road car. However, it screams like a good 'un when given some revs. I think that their own words on their web site: FAQs: Sound Information: Q & A, describes their offerings accurately.

I haven't ridden inside Mat's Blueflame to be able to comment more fully. Sounds great outside though!

It's great that as consumers we are faced with several quite differing choices. We are each likely to be very happy indeed with whichever performance exhaust system we choose if it's one of the well established and proven ones. Which sounds resonate with us as individuals is very subjective - I like bass! (and the sound of a F1 Ferrari V10!).

Linky : - Milltek Sound Information FAQs....

To answer the OP, if not already answered, about which first - My answer is exhaust first over intercooler, just because you already have a remap and it'll benefit from being 'unlocked'. Intercooler can come later, no harm will be done meanwhile as the stock cooler is considered to be a good one.

:happy2:

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2009, 10:59:24 am »
I would defo go with exhause first matey, I had the full TBE Milltek on my old ED30 and boy did it make a difference!  :happy2:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2009, 11:13:48 am »
You can have another ride in the car Robin, no problems.

To S08: you MUST visit your local tuners and hear the different exhausts in person, both from outside the car and inside. Sound is a very individual taste, and only you can decide which is best. In terms of performance they all give roughly the same power increases, in my opinion for road use it is only the sound and look of the tailpipe that should affect your decision!

S08, where are you based? If you are in Hampshire/Berkshire/Surrey area then we can arrange for you to hear mine if you wish.

I almost get the feeling that people on the VAG forums automatically jump into buying a Milltek. No doubt that they are a good product and have a good reputation with VAG cars, but it almost seems to me that people just jump on the bandwagon without fully considering the alternatives.

When I first came onto the forums, absolutely everyone had a Milltek, and it kind of made me think that it was the right choice to go for, but I'm so happy that I researched the alternatives **(Cue for a Top Cat comment here)**, so that I was able to make an informed decision. I was really happy when Blueflame came along on this forum and offered their system at a good price, its good to see some variation.

Listen to them all, and make a decision based upon that....thats the best advice that I can give!

2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2009, 11:38:20 am »

You can have another ride in the car Robin, no problems.

....And vica-versa, especially as I can now show off the grrrrrrrrrrr!! sound from my engine mounts.

To S08: you MUST visit your local tuners and hear the different exhausts in person, both from outside the car and inside. Sound is a very individual taste, and only you can decide which is best. In terms of performance they all give roughly the same power increases, in my opinion for road use it is only the sound and look of the tailpipe that should affect your decision!

.... +1. Also the look of the tailpipe is something I forgot to mention. Not many of us like the new Mk6 GTI tailpipe look!

I almost get the feeling that people on the VAG forums automatically jump into buying a Milltek. No doubt that they are a good product and have a good reputation with VAG cars, but it almost seems to me that people just jump on the bandwagon without fully considering the alternatives.

.... +1. I started off on Tyresmoke forum 4 years ago, researching info on the Mk5 GTI I had ordered. Tyresmoke was originally a breakaway from an Audi forum and no other exhaust than Milltek was even mentioned. The main reason was that Milltek have been established for over 30 years and have a good reputation regarding performance and 'good taste' (not boy-racer). That's why I chose a Milltek and then I woke up to find myself on the slippery slope of modding! So beware!! Absolutely no regrets though - In fact the contrary.

At the time, I thought that my life on car forums would end when my GTI was delivered 12 weeks later < :stupid:

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2009, 12:58:06 pm »
Did you know Milltek supply Bentley wit their exhausts?
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2009, 01:34:59 pm »

Did you know Milltek supply Bentley wit their exhausts?

....No, I didn't - We learn something new every day :happy2:

I assume that you are saying that Milltek supply Bentley with their stock oem exhausts. If so, I wonder how long they have been doing that for. I know they started off their business with the big Austin Healeys.

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2009, 09:28:31 pm »
Yeah they supply OE zorsts for Bentley and started up their business in Somerset (Taunton I believe).

Remus and Sebring always made great exhausts for VW's in the early years.

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2009, 11:02:19 pm »
One question.....Do Milltek flow test their systems on each model for maximum efficiency? Do they have the facilities for this?  

I would anticipate (or at least hope) that this is done at the design/prototype stage. But I wouldn't think that it would be cost effective to test every single product which leaves the factory.

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2009, 09:50:29 pm »

I would anticipate (or at least hope) that this is done at the design/prototype stage. But I wouldn't think that it would be cost effective to test every single product which leaves the factory.

I can remember one of the Milltek directors at Mallory Pk VW trackday stating they 'didn't' flow test them.
I assume you would need some hi tech equipment to measure flow?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2009, 09:54:59 pm »

I can remember one of the Milltek directors at Mallory Pk VW trackday stating they 'didn't' flow test them.

I assume you would need some hi tech equipment to measure flow?

....I'll be seeing Mr Milltek himself at the weekend so I'll try to remember to ask. The question has got me curious now.