Make a donation

Author Topic: Edition 30 - what first ?  (Read 10638 times)

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Edition 30 - what first ?
« on: July 11, 2009, 11:13:28 pm »
I have an Edition 30 DSG .... with 'older' Superchips Bluefin remap .... and it will be FWIW with a Pipercross panel filter when I get round to fitting it ! 

Which do I do first - Milltek resonated TBE .... or an APR (or similar) intercooler ???

I am torn - one gives more power, the other is probably better for the engine ....

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: Edition 30 - what first ?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 11:22:22 pm »
Its got to be the milltek for me.  :happy2:

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 11:29:10 pm »
milly here too  :happy2:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 11:31:53 pm »
I did the Milltek first :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 11:39:14 pm »

Because you've already got a remap, then the Milltek TBE will release/exploit what the map has to offer.

The stock intercooler is actually very good. It doesn't mean it can't be improved but your engine won't suffer without that mod.

This is a very slippery slope you are embarking on - I hope you know what you are letting yourself in for and that most of us here will do nothing but encourage you to spend your money.

:evilgrin:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 10:10:16 am »
It's got to be the Exhaust and get the updated SC map as it's much improved over the earlier versions  :happy2:

Personally I would also consider other systems like the APR and Blueflame over the Milltek  :smiley:

oldtomo

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 10:14:00 am »
Milly gets my vote  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 10:37:39 am »

Personally I would also consider other systems like the APR and Blueflame over the Milltek  :smiley:

....Definitely a good idea to consider all those three exhaust systems, but I don't think there are any others which are as good as those three.

Steve, I know you are dissatisfied with Milltek's lack of response to your electronic communications - You've not bothered with face-to-face at shows or phone calls(?) - But I thought from our conversations with you that you were very satisfied with the Milltek on your car - Is that no longer so?

[I'm not defending Milltek in your case but am curious] :happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 11:34:41 am »
Robin, I do believe you are trying to defend Milltek by questioning the way I have tried to contact them and to a degree suggesting it's my issue for not chasing them down at shows etc but as we always tend to say here ETTO.  :smiley:

Also my comment you have quoted is purely saying that there is more of a market out there than just Milltek.

The quality of their product is OK and generally I have been happy with the system, there are some things I personally have grown to dislike and this was the reason for attempting to contact them.

As they haven't bothered to acknowledge my questions/comments this is what has lead me to say I wouldn't recommend them and if I can find a suitable alternative I would look to sell on the Milltek.

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 11:53:46 am »
Thanks for the replies ....

I have the older Superchips DSG map on the car by choice - I do have the newer map on my computer and have had it on the car about 3 times but with the standard exhaust I prefer the surge you get from 4K to the redline with the older map. 

The updated / newer map has so much more in the mid range you don't really get the same feeling .... if that makes sense - it comes in quite aggressively at 3K and evens off to the redline whereas the 'older' map feels like it builds all the way (because there is less power lower down) but with much more power than standard from about 4K.

With a full TBE I will get a Stage 2 version from Superchips and try it - though I feel it might make the older DSG map even more amusing !

I haven't ruled out other exhausts ... particularly the Jetex resonated ... but I want something that gives more power but no more noise.  I don't think the APR system will fit what I want sound wise though I don't doubt it is quality .  I have heard a Milltek resonated TBE and understand the Jetex is just as quiet.

As for that 'slippery slope' ... :laugh: it is something I have been on with many cars so know how bad it is  :evilgrin:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 11:56:19 am »

Also my comment you have quoted is purely saying that there is more of a market out there than just Milltek.

....And that is the only way in which I interpreted your comment :smiley:

The quality of their product is OK and generally I have been happy with the system, there are some things I personally have grown to dislike and this was the reason for attempting to contact them.

....Thanks for expanding on that and hence clarifying your views :smiley:

Robin, I do believe you are trying to defend Milltek by questioning the way I have tried to contact them and to a degree suggesting it's my issue for not chasing them down at shows etc but as we always tend to say here ETTO.

....It's no secret that I enjoy a very close relationship with Milltek and that I am consequently in a position to sometimes help members of this forum to solve problems.

Please understand that that ^ is my underlying intention - Nothing more and nothing less - I get a little tired of being accused of constantly defending Milltek (and other companies), especially by yourself and Top Cat, regardless of the circumstances. It's a pity IF you can't see that as a result of my position I try all I can to help this community in this respect.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 11:58:11 am by RedRobin »

Offline Golfster S

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 12:22:55 pm »
Get the Milltek first, I have the Non Res + Superchips map on my ED30, totally transforms the car. I think I'm going to swap to a Resonated centre pipe in the next few weeks, Non Res is just a tad tiresome, on longer journeys.
Then I plan Stage 2, APR HPFP, S3 Intercooler etc etc etc......

Should have my OEM Big Brake kit on soon, with a few other goodies .......... :happy2:

Rich.
Reflex Silver GTI Edition 30

Peskarik

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 12:26:53 pm »
I have an Edition 30 DSG .... with 'older' Superchips Bluefin remap .... and it will be FWIW with a Pipercross panel filter when I get round to fitting it ! 

Which do I do first - Milltek resonated TBE .... or an APR (or similar) intercooler ???

I am torn - one gives more power, the other is probably better for the engine ....

exhaust!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 12:34:11 pm »
I get a little tired of being accused of constantly defending Milltek (and other companies), especially by yourself and Top Cat, regardless of the circumstances. It's a pity IF you can't see that as a result of my position I try all I can to help this community in this respect.

But Robin you become a fanboy of certain companies and then defend them to the death only stopping short of getting there tattoo on your back, often when there is no justification. You get free products from Milltek, this alone makes your defending them lose all its integrity, whether you have a valid case or not.
Every time some one posts a slight complaint about them you start your spiel which i guess would infuriate the person with the problem.
Whether you can contact them for Steve or not, this does not detract from their poor customer service in this case.
So whatever you contrive to defend them the fact is they have not bothered to reply to him.  :smiley:

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 12:41:49 pm »
I'm not surprised by the Milltek comments, but then Peskarik made the point that he was ready to buy a VWR engine mount but did not get a reply to his e-mails.  In some cases its just a lack of customer service focus as some tuners/vendors may still be in the dark ages with regards to the internet - the situation may have been addressed by picking up the phone and calling.  In VWRs case, I have had direct experience with them and I found them to be excellent and again Milltek might fall into the same category... excellent product, limited customer service channels as they don't reply to e-mails.  Its a shame that companies with otherwise excellent products and reputations get tarnished because they don't monitor their e-mail traffic. 

Of course, there are other companies who couldn't give a rats arse once they have sold their product and a recent case I highlighted comes to mind.  :fighting: