Make a donation

Author Topic: Front level sensor ball joints for Xenon self-levelling  (Read 5251 times)

Offline TurboHatchback

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Front level sensor ball joints for Xenon self-levelling
« on: November 03, 2014, 08:25:05 pm »
My GTI just failed its MOT for a broken front self levelling sensor. I've investigated and all that's wrong with it is the plastic ball joint socket on the bottom end of the little metal rod has departed company and vanished somewhere. The top ball joint was stiff but soon loosened up with some WD40 and wiggling, I would heartily recommend checking yours and making sure it's nice and loose if you haven't already, it can be accessed without even taking the front wheel off by turning the steering to full lock.

Sorry the pics are a bit rubbish, it was dark and I only had my phone for a torch.

As you can see the sensor appears fine and it's only a tiny little plastic part that is missing. Does anyone know if it is possible to just get this plastic bit or the whole rod or is VW going to want me to buy a whole sensor? Any part numbers that anyone knows would be great too.

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
Re: Front level sensor ball joints for Xenon self-levelling
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 08:44:45 pm »
AFAIK, It doesn't need the Auto Levelling to pass MOT, just have garage manually set it.  :happy2:

dansmith180

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 08:50:18 pm »
Had this exact problem a week ago and had to buy a whole unit including the sensor which was about £115 from TPS, but you can get them second hand on EBay/ scrapyard for less

Offline TurboHatchback

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 08:51:04 pm »
It doesn't need the Auto Levelling to pass MOT, just have garage manually set it.  :happy2:

My tester seemed of the opinion it did need to work  :sad1:, also I don't want my headlights maladjusted. If I can't get just the ball joint or the arm for a decent price then I can feel a DIY fix involving superglue, wire and a crimping tool coming on.

Offline TurboHatchback

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 09:14:09 am »
Another thing; If I do get a new sensor does it just plug in and work or does it need coding in with VCDS (and hence cost even more money)?

Offline TurboHatchback

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 05:50:16 pm »
Well it is now fixed. Some ball joints and threaded rod were purchased from Farnell and now I have a shiny new MOT with no advisories :).

The problem in daylight:

Shiny bits:

New rod with one complete joint and one end using the existing ball with a new socket:

In place on the car:

In context:

Total parts cost for this fix was about £7.40 and now it is better than new. The ball joints have some copper grease in them to stop them getting stiff, hopefully this should last the life of the car. Result!

Offline ady-uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 09:26:35 pm »
Great post.
I have xenons fitted so will probably do this upgrade as a matter of course due to it looking a much better job.

Have you a parts list of items / codes from farnell :)

Ady
VW Golf 2.0 Gtd 140 4motion (2005)
Factory fitted: xenons, sunroof, heated leather seats, fold in mirrors with downlights,
Custom: Mk6 steering wheel, updated gateway, RNS510 remote boot pop, LED lighting.

Offline TurboHatchback

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 10:51:46 pm »
Have you a parts list of items / codes from farnell :)

Ball joints:
Order code 7060634
http://uk.farnell.com/huco/373p06-c-f/ball-socket-assembly-m6-pk2/dp/7060634?CMP=i-ddd7-00001003

Threaded rod:
Order code 2444306
http://uk.farnell.com/duratool/rod6/studding-steel-m6/dp/2444306?CMP=i-ddd7-00001003

Any M6 threaded rod would do (preferably stainless). I'm rather chuffed with it. I'll be looking at the rear sensor soon to see what state that's in and possibly upgrade it as I bought a spare set of ball joints.

Offline sbhachu

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 05:53:23 pm »
Thanks for this, the ball joints on some used sensors I am fitting are so stiff and probably won't last long. Don't want to buy the whole sensor and I couldn't find a replacement rod and ball socket (I'm sure someone makes this for VW?).

So I'm going to do this mod on them too  :happy2: