Make a donation

Author Topic: Mark O’T Reflex Silver MK5 GTI  (Read 28443 times)

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 14
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,100145.msg983012.html#msg983012
Mark O’T Reflex Silver MK5 GTI
« on: August 17, 2015, 10:06:55 am »
I have been meaning to get up a thread about my MK5 Golf GTI in Reflex Silver for a while after becoming slightly addicted to checking out other members rides on here. This is my second Golf, my last car was a MK4, I also have a Classis Beetle which is garaged, I will get a photo up of this as well, keeping it all rather VW  :happy2:

The car is still under warranty as it came from a dealership, most of what I add will be cosmetic for the time being.

56,000 miles
Cloth GTI Interior (I love the tartan!)
Convenience Pack (Auto wipers, Auto lights etc)
Cruise Control
DSG
Midline dash display
RCD300
17” Monza’s (these have been changed but are being kept for winter)

Bits I have added:

GTI seat handle inserts
Silver DSG paddle extensions
Phillips WhiteVision H7 dipped beam and side lights
OSRAM Night Vision HB4 Fog lights
Yellow full beam H7
18” BBS CH ET50 8.5j
Stubby areal
US Spec Front Grille with silver trim
Square front number plate
Aluminium rear badge vinyl inserts
Chrome Switches
Leather red stitched handbrake cover
R32 Tail Lights
OEM European Cup Holder
OEM Roof Rack
Kenwood DNX520VTB
Square front plate with plate bracket
Pressed metal number plates
Carbon Fiber wing mirror covers
Carbon Fiber rear badge inserts
Raised Gel Number Plates (Fullhouse Customs)
VW US Spec front number plate
VW Genuine Edition 30 rear bumper
Revo Aluminum rear badge
Revo Cold Air Intake
Vredestein ultrac sessanta tyres

Maintenance:

Cam follower changed 25.08.16 (70,435miles)
2x Oli & filter changes (at least every 7,000 miles)
Spark Plugs, cabin filter and air filter (28.10.16)
Break disks (24.01.16)

Next on the list:

Colour code body kit
H&R springs with uprated top mounts
Refurbish Alloys

Anyway, here are a few photos, I aim to get some better ones from its next clean and as I add to the car.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 06:02:28 pm by Martk19871 »

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,100145.msg983012.html#msg983012
Re: Mark O’T Reflex Silver MK5 GTI
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 10:15:24 am »
The Beetle if anyone was interested to see  :laugh:

Offline percy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 06:57:55 pm »
Nice cars there buddy, cracking colour too :happy2:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 07:23:25 pm »
Very nice,only suggestion is lose the chrome mirrors and colour code them to the car

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 09:35:54 pm »
I haven't posted in a while but been quite busy. Last weekend changed the old Denso spark plugs with new Bosch ones, they were looking a bit crappy and a bit of carbon build up, fires up much nicer now, they were much quicker to do than expected. Next weekend changing the oil filter and oil change followed by the other filters. Some of the service history booklet is in German....don't ask, and done about 4000 miles now so wanted to know everything is fresh.

I have also removed the chrome wing mirror covers as I decided they were tacky to find out one of the covers underneath was smashed so bought some off someone and picking them up tomorrow.

Changed the front grille for a US spec one with a chrome trim strip rather than the red and screwed in a square plate I had made at halfords,  much happier with the front end. I tired using doubble sided number plate pads from halfords before screws, went through two sets, they are literally awful and just don't work, so never buy them!

Other things; boot pop mod completed, new whiter fog lights from Powerbulbs and someone is going to restore my headlights for me in Friday as they look a state.

I will get some photos up at the weekend of the progress  :driver:

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 09:45:04 pm »
Sooo some photos, everyone likes photos! I have just ordered an Air Filter and Pollen filter to do at the same time as my oil change (didnt have time this weekend). Also considering doing the Cam Follower....does it really need it at 58k though?

How the front end looked before square plate and new front grille.

How it looked After the change, accompanied by a San Miguel it seems.

My most recent photo after headlight restoration and new OSRAM whiter fog lights, looking nice I think! Something that really peeved me was when the guy was restoring the headlights in my work carpark, he managed to pull a bit of paint off when removing the extra stick 3M tape he was using!!! Not happy. Makes me think i should of just done it myself. Headlights do look better though and he said not to pay as felt so guilty. I need to get it sorted as it's already annoying me.

Today I fully cleaned, waxed and dressed my Monzas that have been in storage, thinking of putting them on the car for the winter and taking off the CH, but I really want some BBS centre caps for them (if possible) as the VW have white worm.

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 09:46:59 pm »
Nice cars there buddy, cracking colour too :happy2:

Oh and thanks mate, the Bettle is all stored up for winter now  :smiley:

Offline Flint

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 07:26:06 pm »
Looking good with those bbs. Wish mine looked this good.

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 08:50:03 pm »
Looking good with those bbs. Wish mine looked this good.

Thanks mate, taking the bbs CH off next weekend I think and putting the Monzas back on, think I will get the CH refurbed before next summer as a bit of curbing
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 09:25:22 pm by Martk19871 »

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 09:22:49 pm »
Update from last weekend. Changed the Air Filter and Cabin Filter, thank god I have some mole grips to get the metal clamp off the plastic hose on the engine cover, it put up a bit of a fight. I meant to do the oil and oil filter change but weather took a turn, next weekends plan. Filters were fairly skanky so glad I changed them.

Old Cabin filter and new BOSCH one:

Old Air Filter and new Crosland one:

Cleaned the exhaust tips which came up nicely

Fitted some new chrome tipped buttons, the old ones had worn down to white plastic.

Payday at the weekend, so I am after the Kenwood DNX520VTB head unit  :laugh:

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 09:59:00 pm »
Update from the weekend. I ordered some Poorboys Wheel Wax that turned up, I had used quick wax on my Monzas a few weeks back but as winter is coming, I wanted to give them and the BBS CH a few good coats, it seems to be really good stuff.

I had been meaning to get some axle stands and noticed a good deal in Halfrauds so went and got a jack and axle stands along with a few wheel cleaning and dressing products for the big wheel clean.

And a few additional snaps, I really want to get a Micro 3/4 DSLR soon to get some better photos.

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
Re: Mark O’T Reflex Silver MK5 GTI (photos added 02-11-15)
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 08:58:18 pm »
So I decided to do the oil, Bosch filter and sump plug change at the weekend, I nipped to VW dealers for the sump plug, for the sake of £2.50 I thought it’s worth doing and used only the finest 5w30 Castrol Edge.

I took my opportunity when the horrendous rain took a pause, probably not my brightest idea as it started raining again, then came the WIND and it got dark, so ended up with a torch in my mouth :stupid: but I have done a full service now before it starts to get freezing.

Somewhat uninteresting oil filter photo

Also fitted some open fog grills, replaced the number plate and vanity mirror bulbs with LEDs and found some red BBS centre caps that should fit my Monzas.

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
Re: Mark O’T Reflex Silver MK5 GTI (Service time)
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 04:56:33 pm »
A quick update of whats been going on this weekend. 

I got a screw in one of my BBS CH tyres which was one I had dropped (annoying)! I was about to change to the Monzas for winter anyway. I found some BBS centre caps to fit, but after fitting them I don’t think they look right. 

A fast wax last weekend in time for winter

Bought a few bits:

Brembo front pads, mine are 80% worn and will be visiting family with a garage over Xmas so will do them then.

Xtrons head unit with Mirrorlink, Radio, Bluetooth (calls and music), DVD and Sat Nav. It works OK, but the Bluetooth has a long delay which is REALLY annoying, the Sat Nav falls over itself and the music playback through Bluetooth is just awful, I am sending it back as Bluetooth was the main feature I needed to work correctly.  Also on the whole the sound isn’t good, I took a risk on this and it didn’t pay off...

Since then I have won a Kenwood Dnx520vbt On ebay at a really good price and will be picking it up in a few days. I am expecting a lot more from the Kenwood.

Dark cherry hazard switch and Euro style cup holder. I much prefer both of these to the stock versions, a lot sleeker. I did find removing some of the trim to fit these a lot more awkward than my previous car (mk4 Golf).

« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 05:02:56 pm by Martk19871 »

Offline FrameSet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,102535.0.html
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 06:50:03 pm »
Nice work! Im surprised how well the exhaust pipes came  up! I'll try brasso next time!

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 07:15:36 pm »
Nice work! Im surprised how well the exhaust pipes came  up! I'll try brasso next time!

Cheers matey. I had a look at your build and noticed I left a message on it the other day!

Best thing for the exhaust tips is fine wire wool and lots of scrubbing, the brasso helped bring them up afterwards.