Author Topic: th3_f15t '12 Golf R (Viki)  (Read 21884 times)

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 67
  • -Receive: 190
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ddll429j4pr83kt87smd8bp8a1&/topic,101525.0.html
th3_f15t '12 Golf R (Viki)
« on: October 12, 2015, 08:37:42 PM »
I thought it time to share my latest Golf build with you all, I did want to keep it low key but what the hell, why not be a show off?

She's a 2012 Golf R DSG, Rising Blue in 5 door with 19 inch black alloys, dynamic chassis control (DCC), parking sensors, heated and electric leather interior, Dynaudio soundpack with an RCD510 and MDI in the arm rest. Already put my own touches on the car in the form of aluminium paddle extensions, seat inserts, full interior LED upgrade, reverse and parking light LED upgrades and black caps in the engine bay.

It won't be staying stock, that's for sure! 400bhp is the target as well as a few suspension and braking upgrades. I already have a set of 6 piston Brembo brakes sat in my room waiting to be painted and a full kit built up. I'm putting the kit together myself as I fancy a challenge, as well as fitting it all myself. Keep an eye open for updates as and when I can afford it, right now I need finish off my mk4 Golf V5 project.

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ddll429j4pr83kt87smd8bp8a1&/topic,101525.0.html
Re: th3_f15t '12 Golf R (Viki)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 08:38:08 PM »
A couple of modifications so far have been fitting a Loba HPFP (yes, this was the very first modification):

I'm not called Daniel in case you're wondering (probably not) but it was a cheeky purchase through the forum (guess who from :happy2:). Also transferred my Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2's over from the GTI build:

The future brakes:

Got these off the editor of Performance VW via eBay, a chance conincidene! But also a bloody good price considering they're virtually brand new. I also had my DSG and Haldex service done as soon as I could (about 30K miles on the clock) as I want to preserve the DSG as best as possible so running big power through it requires more regular servicing. I got an advisory from VW saying there was a fluid leak from somewhere, possibly the transfer box. Needless to say, if you know me by now, I'm not too scared to get stuck in:

Definitely something leaking oil, so followed the trail back and luckily it went right up above the transfer box towards the turbo... Wasn't best pleased at this point, but having a look about from the top of the engine I noticed this suspect looking pipe:

There was fresh oil around the end of the pipe so I thought best to attack this bit first to see if it solves the fix... Read on for more!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 08:46:25 PM by th3_f15t »

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 08:38:19 PM »
Now, I love a bargain, but I decided from the start all parts had to be as-new, very good condition or genuine OE only. Go hard, or go home, you know? However, the genuine OE and loving a bargain just do not go together. This lot from VW:

£25! What a joke. To make myself better, decided to grab another few bargains off the R forum. First, a low pressure fuel for an Audi RS3/TTRS:

Then an EVOMS cold air intake kit (complete):

Then a random browse on eBay on evening revealed this:

Pretty much new but paid less than half price of the RRP on the Forge website delivered! Score! So now onto the first major round of work...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 08:50:24 PM by th3_f15t »

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 08:38:30 PM »
Took the clips off that dodgy pipe as mentioned, there were clear traces of oil on them:

Got proper tools for clips and fittings so getting the job done to OE spec wasn't hard at all:

SO while it was a nice day and I was free to work on the Golf R, I decided to fit up the catch can and a recently purchased Forge recirculation valve:

At the very last bit though, I discovered I was missing a little clip like this:

So being very dedicated to doing a perfect job, I decided to create a temporary fix:

It's held up for a few hundred miles now but I will remove the boost tap as I figured it's pointless in my setup and just an extra point of potential failure. I did plan to do that on the next round of the build, but I got distracted with something...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 08:54:43 PM by th3_f15t »

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 08:38:39 PM »
APR intercooler baby, half price again from the RRP! And for the eagle eyed amongst you, that's the V5 in the background not looking very much better than it did a few months ago. She's been neglected of late but I fully intend to carry on soon with the engine swap and various other bits. It's sort of my practise ground now for the Golf R as if I break it it's just a few hundred down the pan, unlike the Golf R:

Decided that I wanted to tackle it myself, not sure why I thought attacking a very highly priced car would be a good idea, but you live and learn! It took me far longer than it should of to get to just this stage:

After realising I could use a little more in the way of brute force, I got cracking:

God bless YouTube and the internet generally, spent hours the week before researching how to do this. I've never fitted an intercooler in my life, although I did swap the radiator on my old mk5 TDI before so I have a basic understanding of how to dismantle the front of a Golf. Oh, and the V5 was a good practise run too! But I did stupidly bend a few fins on the radiator when removing the OE intercooler so that warrants an upgrade at some stage. Here's a couple of comparison shots of the APR unit against the OE parts:

It really is a serious bit of kit, largest one on the market I believe. Pretty happy with how things turned out, the only bits that didn't go back on were some little rubber grommets that the bottom of the intercooler fit into, but they were just being a pain and not lining up so I'll address that issue another time. But no bolts left over, everything cleaned off during re-installation with high pressure air and a brush down to make sure the radiator and air-con radiator were clear from obstructions. about 6-7 hours of work to fit the APR intercooler which, is I may say so, is rather good for a first go! Had enough time left to fit my EVOMS intake:

Need to fit the heat shield and also some Audi R8 coil packs and NGK iridium sparks too, as well as sort the Forge items out. That's the next part of the plan before getting a Milltek exhaust and AmD Tuning remap.

And before anyone says it, yes I know R-Tech and BCS are the better options but for me it's far better to go with AmD. They did an amazing job on my GTI, are local to me and I get a great price on their re-maps when buying a Milltek exhaust system with them. When I upgrade the turbo in the future I may well switch to a BCS system with 3.5 inch downpipe and cat with their cat back to really chase the bigger numbers but right now I just want to get her stage 2+ and running 340bhp (or there about). Driving on a stock map is not fun after a remapped GTI.

Stay tuned, more to come soon...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 09:07:15 PM by th3_f15t »

Offline v4rley

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 86
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 08:41:34 PM »
No need to spam you've already got 25 post for the F/S section  :laugh:

p.s nice R will keep a track of your progress

:ashamed: see what the reserving was for now
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 09:06:08 PM by v4rley »

Offline AJP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 400
  • -Receive: 292
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 08:44:00 PM »
Wondered when we'd see this. It's bloody gorgeous. Nice spec with the Dynaudio package as well.

Offline Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 408
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 08:59:30 PM »
Very nice

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 74
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ddll429j4pr83kt87smd8bp8a1&/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 09:03:28 PM »
That's one nice looking R! Good spec - do I spy a colour MFD too?

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 09:10:50 PM »
No need to spam you've already got 25 post for the F/S section  :laugh:

p.s nice R will keep a track of your progress

:ashamed: see what the reserving was for now

We all know my reputation around the classifieds on this forum... :P

Very nice

Cheers mate.

Wondered when we'd see this. It's bloody gorgeous. Nice spec with the Dynaudio package as well.

I decided to be a bit of a show-scene-queen and post her up on here as well. :smiley:

That's one nice looking R! Good spec - do I spy a colour MFD too?

Indeed, it is. THe only options its missing (as far as I can tell) are the reversing camera, folding mirrors and the RNS510. 2 of these options will be fitted, 1 will be replaced with something better than OE. :happy2:

Offline PT82

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 09:46:18 PM »
Stunning car, love the colour! Keep the updates coming  :happy2:

Offline ashbignall

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ddll429j4pr83kt87smd8bp8a1&/topic,100689.0.html
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 09:58:59 PM »
Colour is superb, love the Team Dynamics as well. Look forward to following this!

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 30
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 05:50:58 AM »
Fantastic.

I never knew a colour highline was available on the Mk6 though, or is it from something else?

Offline prp74

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 124
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 07:39:00 AM »
Stunning mate  :happy2:

mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Park Assist, Keyless, 19" Santaigo's

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 08:59:57 AM »
Thank you everyone. :happy2:

Fantastic.

I never knew a colour highline was available on the Mk6 though, or is it from something else?

Nope, it came like that from the factory. Its a late model Golf R so I think they treated them to better spec.