Make a donation

Author Topic: Monza diamond cut refurb - worth it or not ?  (Read 2582 times)

Offline Headless68

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
Monza diamond cut refurb - worth it or not ?
« on: May 23, 2016, 10:02:25 pm »
I have 18" Monzas on my GTi - they have been refurbed in the past and either painted or powder coated silver (with grey inserts)
My question is - I really like the look of the original diamond cut finish but is it that hard to keep it looking good that it's not worth doing ?

Cheers
Phil

Offline Adam0604

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,97534.0.html
Re: Monza diamond cut refurb - worth it or not ?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 10:21:21 pm »
You'll be doing the same again in a years time because of whiteworm.

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 06:43:05 pm »
You will get whiteworm! Don't bother with it
3 Door GTI Black, Cruise Control, DSG, Factory Tints, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Highline Display, Leather, Monza II's, MFSW, Parking Sensors, Puddle Lights,  Xenons,

To be fitted....Bluetooth,DVB-T, MDI, RNS510, Stage one (opinions much appreciated)

Offline Rippers

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 20
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,105772.0.html
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 08:59:34 pm »
I've had mine done and I am really pleased with the results. I personally like the diamond cut monza wheels.
But then I'm going for a stock look, minimal external mods. I want the wolf in sheeps clothing effect.

Your choice at the end of the day.

Offline Adam0604

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,97534.0.html
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 09:05:37 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I really like the diamond cut look, I loved mine.

Until white worm came. Endless cycle of getting them re-done, only to get white worm 12-18 months down the line.

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 09:14:31 pm »
I too if money was no object and I could be bothered getting them redone every 12-18 months would have went diamond cut again, but I couldn't be bothered with the hassle. I much prefer the standard look, but i have went with a two colour painted option, silver faced with black inserts, which, in some lights, look factory to the unknown and should wear better, and costs half as much!

Offline Headless68

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 07:36:01 am »
Thanks guys - much as I love the look of the original finish 12 months is too short a time for it to last for me - will probably go with the silver face and black inserts next

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 10:06:05 am »
I bought my car about a year ago, and the Monzas were in OK condition.  1 year later, they look bloody awful.

I have been thinking about getting them re-cut, but like you I can't accept such a potential short life for the cost.

Recently I've been looking at attempting a DIY with plastidip in Silver -  as its cheap to do, and will give me an idea if I can live with a full on painted refurb.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 10:52:03 am »
The last few months I've been thinking about getting mine diamond cut again.

The last diamond cut lasted at least 2 years before white worm set in but that was mostly because I curbed it whilst new to getting my bearings in this car!

It's €450 all in for all 4 wheels to be diamond cut, and the inserts sprayed metallic grey with 3 coats of lacquer. They'll also give me a full set of wheels in the meantime for the 3 days or so it'll take.

I think I'll go for it again but that's just my opinion and it's coming from someone with both the diamond cut and sprayed wheel experience!

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 12:40:56 pm »
I modified my Denvers to make them look like the Detroits. I've never got around to spraying them with clear coat and after reading this thread I'm not sure I want to. I've got a photo of one 3 months after machining but not sure how to insert the photo.