Make a donation

Author Topic: Telegraph all 7 Marks of the GTI review  (Read 3639 times)

Offline Oldy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
Telegraph all 7 Marks of the GTI review
« on: July 22, 2017, 11:19:56 am »
Interesting Article in the following link.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/classic/vw-golf-gti-drive-seven-generations-legendary-hot-hatch/

Its exactly why I drive a MK5 GTI.  Still, by far in my view, the best.

Offline prp74

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
Re: Telegraph all 7 Marks of the GTI review
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 11:28:50 am »
Good read  :happy2:
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 12:43:28 pm »
I read that also. Have had mk1 / mk2 (8v) / mk5 and quite agree with his conclusions which is why I still own mine 11 years on. Am quite intrigued where they will take the mk8, especially the ED45, with advances in 48v electric turbos / lighter weight materials etc.

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 01:50:31 pm »
Good to read that someone likes the Mk3. I had a Mk3 Golf Driver as a teen - to those of my friends who didn't know about cars, they thought it was a GTI. It had the trim, etc but not the engine and brakes. Don't get me wrong - it was slow, drove like a hippo (which I called it), but I liked how it was.

Sorry to read about the mkiv - I know it was bland, but again - there was some excellent engineering in points (drain tap for coolant - MK5 doesn't have this), but the trim of the interior sold it to me. Recaro's were great, and the modding potential was huge. I just kept going with mine - wish I still had it.

MK5 - love it. I wish the trim was better than the scratchy grey plastic it has, but aside from that - it drives so well and looks good. No plans to change mine even though it will be 10 next March.

I have no experience of the mk6, or mk7, but I would love my next golf to be a Mk7 Clubsport - it has some decent extra bits like the Edition 30 & stands out even more to anyone who really knows their cars.

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 02:04:45 pm »
Not a bad article. Unforgivable for a motoring journalist to call the 180bhp 1.8T a '16v' though!

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 100
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 08:34:18 pm »
Autocar recently did a test of the mk1,2,5 & 7 and said that the mk5 was the favourite.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=2v8m0hhru1vc862m6hkued3la6&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 10:41:03 pm »
5 is still the best... :signLOL:

Offline splashalot

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 0
  • My Ride: MY2008 Mk5 Manual 5dr GTI Tornado Red
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 05:44:41 am »
Thanks for posting. I found that refreshing - it seems so rare nowadays for a motoring journalist to express their personal opinions.  Even better when those opinions match my own! 

My Mk5 GTI is nearing ten years of age and for a while now I've been grappling with the heart vs head decision of trading up to a Mk7.  Head says go for the Mk7's better ride quality, dual injection etc etc.  But each and every time I get back into my mk5 after a test drive of the 7 my heart shouts "see, I told you!".  Remains to be seen which will win ultimately, but for me the mk5 has something sadly lacking in the superior-driving 7: character. 

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 08:49:58 am »
Good read. I know for a great number of Peeps (let a lone enthusiasts) the Mk5 GTI will continue to keep its place at the head of the GTI charts, me included.

Can't argue with the Mk5 GTI being the cat that got the cream......because it is. Still looks the best, is a modern classic and will (by far) stand the test of time against its older and newer brethren.

VW took a step forward with the Mk7 from the Mk5/mk6 platform and continue to move on with the Clubsport and latest Clubsport S (which I'm going to look at later, just to kick the tyres  :party: :party:).

I still want to own a minty, unmolsted Mk1 GTI and tick that off the list....hard to argue with where it all started.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline splashalot

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 0
  • My Ride: MY2008 Mk5 Manual 5dr GTI Tornado Red
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 12:34:58 pm »
Just remembered another "Which the is the best generation GTI" video I had seen.  Not sure if it has been linked before, but apologies if so.

Reading through some other comments has gelled in my mind the mk5's place.  As successive GTIs become more and more electronically advanced they move away from the Mk5's claim to fame: the happy medium between old school raw driving enjoyment and modern capability.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 12:50:52 pm by splashalot »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 09:46:30 am »
Interesting read.   Kind of weird to think I was born in Germany the same year the Golf was, and they've been in my life ever since. 

Apparently the Golf ball gear knob nearly didn't make it to production, but the (female) interior designer manager to convince the management.  And she got her inspiration for the tartan seats from an outfit the model 'Twiggy' wore at a fashion show in the 70s.

Probably one of the most financially successful cars of all time when you consider VW were close to bankruptcy.  The Golf saved them!  It was also a good example of adaptability and innovation.  To go from the rear engine air cooled Beetle, to a FWD water cooled hatch back in a short space of time was quite the undertaking back then.

All of the German cars we know and love today, were born from warfare.   VW - domestic and military transport.  BMW - war planes (hence the propeller badge), engines, military vehicles (inc motorbikes). Audi (Auto Union) - military vehicles.   Porsche - forced by Hitler to make the Beetle.  Who says war is bad?  :smiley:

I do like a good bit of car history!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 12:54:07 pm »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 01:52:01 pm »
BMW - war planes (hence the propeller badge),

Ahem................http://www.leftlanenews.com/living-a-lie-bmw-logo-not-based-on-spinning-propeller.html

(Sorry pudding!)

Everyday is a school day.  A BMW dealer told me the propeller thing years ago  :smiley:

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 02:28:03 pm »

Ahem................http://www.leftlanenews.com/living-a-lie-bmw-logo-not-based-on-spinning-propeller.html

(Sorry pudding!)

Everyday is a school day.  A BMW dealer told me the propeller thing years ago  :smiley:

Me too!

Maybe they're trying to distance themselves from WW2 and the flag is a convenient  get out!?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 04:06:31 pm »

(Sorry pudding!)

Me too!

Maybe they're trying to distance themselves from WW2 and the flag is a convenient  get out!?

Probably!  It's quite amusing that even their own dealers believe it's a propeller!  Don't they do inductions at BMW then?!  :grin: