Make a donation

Author Topic: MC's R  (Read 32068 times)

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
MC's R
« on: June 19, 2017, 04:22:00 pm »
:pomppomp::pomppomp: :pomppomp:    VW Mk7 Golf R DSG Lapiz Blue   :pomppomp: :pomppomp: :pomppomp:

If you're sitting comfortably I shall begin, once upon a time.....

.......and after many MANY months of issues involving dodgy paint and electrical gremlins I now have the car I wanted in the first place. Nothing much has happened since I've had the car, re mods, due to these problems so just a few bits and pieces here and there so far.

As for the 7R itself, with all the choice within my £25k budget, did I make the right choice? IMHO yes I did. Even in its standard form with 300bhp it's such a great car, so easy to live with in town traffic, cruising on a motorway or having fun around the twisty bits.

Yes the 7R is a common sight on the roads but that made it affordable to buy but it's prevalence doesn't detract from it being an brilliant car and an all round, everyday car that ticks pretty much every box for me. There are peeps who say they won't own one purely because they're everywhere and the lack of exclusivity that brings...well good for them.

(DISCLAIMER:- I'm not counting anyone who has ordered/owns/or wants a GTI Clubsport as I drove one the other day and that was just cracking and on my list for the next cat.

=====================================

A few problems!!!

I only had her a wee while before she was taken away for the first time with elecrical problems which showed up all over the place with random Start/Stop issues, EPC light appearing constantly followed by limp mode and even door module issues and a wing mirror housing that overheated and plastic part started to bubble up as if it were going melt ....go figure. VW fixed it all (lots of new wiring, some new parts inc every single part inside the door and a new wing mirror) but not under warranty (although they went above and beyond in sorting things) but that's another story.

Then during this time (if that were not annoying enough) paint started to peel from the car in several places. She'd been in the bodyshop TWICE but new problems with paint started to appear so In the end they decided the constant "fixing" wasn't working so a decision was made to give the car a full respray, only parts that were left were the roof and the boot, everything else was stripped back to bare and resprayed. I cheekily asked if they could give her a complelty different colour but alas I'd of had to pay the difference which was ££££ as she would need to stripped to a shell and added another 2 weeks plus to the process......(you gotta try).

To say I'm chuffed with their work and (to be fair) the response of the garage I purchased her from, and for their part VW, is an understatement. She's now better than the sh*t you usually get when buying a brand new car. After a full professional detail she will look the shizzel (as the kids say).

Ohh and they kindly re cut the face of the wheels, thry look like new too!!

As I've said before if all I have to worry about in life is a car I'm a very lucky man indeed......which I am.

Pics below of the 2 worst areas although there were more places with paint problems. Made me chuckle when a bodyshop guy said "f*ck me, look at that!"

Moving along and drawing a line under that lot.....

=========================================

Bits and bobs and mini mods...

First off I bought some Black decals/vinyl stickers from Badgeskins ~~Clicky here~~ and put those on the front and rear R badges and also the side blades, then the front and rear VW chrome emblems were removed and the backings were painted in Lapiz blue and then new Gloss Black VW emblems were added, still not sure about the front one with a Lapiz backing but it stays for now, will probably go back to black.

Then I de chromed the rest of the front end re grill and splitter with Gloss Black vinyl wrap. I also just had delivered a RIEGER front splitter and MAXTON side skirt diffusers so that's a job for my next day off (with help) Also swapped the chrome wing mirror covers and replaced them with Gloss Black ones.

I put a shortened number plate on the rear and still need to remove the front number plate plinth and have the holes plastic welded and painted over so I have a smooth front end (will use double sided suction cups on the number plate after that as I did on the Eddy) but I've had enough of bodyshops at mo so that can wait. I also put on Gloss Black Eyelids just to add a little extra Black to the party (as if I hadn't added enough  :laugh:). I may also have the roof wrapped...not sure yet.

Gloss Black mirror covers (from VW main dealer).....

Gloss Black Eyelids (from Aliexpress)

and in place....

The front grill separated into its component parts, that's was a faff to do...

I bought a pair of Gloss Black front and rear VW emblems (below) from eBay, pretty good quality and cheap plus they fit so a win win win. Luckily the rear one comes with a separate backing plate so no need to remove the whole handle/mech (a PITA of a job) for painting.

I needed some Lapiz Blue spray paint for the rear backing sections for both the front and rear emblems so a trip to the Halfords special paint mix peeps and all good. Who'd have thought so many colours to make just one....

All put back together and the various bits wrapped and/or painted as required and badgeskin fitted to the R and new VW Emblem in place.....

Gloss Black RIEGER front splitter

I bought this from RIEGER from itectuning, link below (they do lots of bits for the Mk5 and Mk6 too if anyone's interested). it's just a single skin piece of flexible plastic, feels like a puff of wind will shatter it.......It cost £250 but considering the sh*t Chinese ones are £100 and the OETTINGER splitter is £750 (excluding paint) its about right. Now I have her back I can get this fitted.

~~Clicky here~~

MAXTON Gloss Black Side Skirts. (Link to their website below). Also not a lot to these, pretty flexible and another less than substantial item for £150. Also a fair few options re side skirt extensions/difussers.

~~Clicky here~~

Black Climair Wind Deflectors.

I always liked the ones I had on my Eddy so bought them for the 7R even before I picked up the car (link to their website below)...

~~Clicky here~~

How she looks now. I've replaced the Black VW emblems at the mo to the Chrome ones.....can't decide?

======================================

As for modding my 7R a stage 1 map is the next call with associated supporting mods, some decent wheels and a few other aesthetic bits and pieces then at some point I need to decide if I sidestep stage 2 and go to Stage 3 with a hyprid turbo due to the weak OEM turbo but will take advice from those who know. There seems little point spending £3k on a full sport TBE (or even a DP) and intercooler and not being able to wind up the power and torque for fear of the OEM turbo shredding itself into the engine........all thoughts for another day.

I've FINALLY re booked into AKS to get a few bits and pieces put on to aid air flow.....a VW Racingline R600 Intake, TT Inlet pipe, VW Racingline Turbo Muffler Delete and also a GFB DV+ and probably having a REVO stage 1 map and DSG map. May get a custom tune when/if I go stage 3 but REVO are now devolping one along with a stage 2 DSG maps so we shall see.

Any comments, likes or dislikes then please feel free to spam away.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 04:29:47 pm by MC71 »

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 59
  • Gracie!
Re: MC's R
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 04:27:08 pm »
Look forward to this one given how meticulous you were with the Eddy. Though that paint peel is absolutely shocking, especially for the top of the range model! :scared: Glad you got it sorted in the end though!

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 05:47:27 pm »
Shame you've had so much hassle Martin  but you've turned it around so 10/10 to you.

I do like your thread builds as there highly educational and honest and show great thought. I look forward to following it stage by stage, not for purchasing one, just the journey and the attention to detail, whilst still keeping it as a daily vehicle not a show piece.

Offline prp74

• Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 06:06:30 pm »
So happy you've got the car back. What a nightmare you've had. Looking forward to the updates, based on your last car.

Subscribed  :happy2:
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 08:30:51 pm »
Thanks chaps!  :drinking:

Glad all the faff is behind me and I'm loving the 7R now and the modding bug is back!!  :party:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 08:58:01 pm »
always look forward to reading your threads Martin and good to see you have turned the car.around and is a.credit to you

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 09:46:20 pm »
The bad fortune looks pretty rotten, glad you stuck with it MC  :happy2:

Surely be worth it now and further down the line...  :evilgrin:
It's certainly looking very worthy.

I could just imagine some black or even grey 19" Turini's on the 7R  :party: I've only ever seen them on the latest but one Megane Trophy and it seemed the design was ever so slightly different to the ones we ran in 18x8, but the idea has stuck with me ever since  :drinking: Although no doubt, they'd only be available in Renault bolt fitment. Doh.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 10:05:52 pm »
always look forward to reading your threads Martin and good to see you have turned the car.around and is a.credit to you

Thanks Andy.  :happy2:

The bad fortune looks pretty rotten, glad you stuck with it MC  :happy2:

Surely be worth it now and further down the line...  :evilgrin:
It's certainly looking very worthy.

I could just imagine some black or even grey 19" Turini's on the 7R  :party: I've only ever seen them on the latest but one Megane Trophy and it seemed the design was ever so slightly different to the ones we ran in 18x8, but the idea has stuck with me ever since  :drinking: Although no doubt, they'd only be available in Renault bolt fitment. Doh.

Cheers fella.

As for the wheels.......yes I've looked for 19" Turinis but with no luck in correct fitment. Wheels are the next thing that need sorting (along with decent rubber).

There's a lot of choice out there and I've narrowed it down to these 5 below in these colours. Budget is around £2k ish inc' tyres.

OZ Leggera HLT 19x8 ET45 in Gold, the Neuspeed Rse102 19x8.5 ET45 in Matt Anthracite or Hyper Black, VOSSEN CVT 19x8.5 ET45 in Gloss Graphite or the REVO rv019 19x8.5 ET45 in Gloss Bronze.

Only consideration really is at some point they will need to house a BBK and I fancy 19" wheels as they fill the archers better than the 18" and some slightly wider wheels will also help with stance etc. Leaning towards the Neuspeed due to the 8.5" width and they are very light at around 9kg IIRC but the REVO are also pretty light and the cheapest at £1200. Also love the VOSSEN a lot but not sure if they will happily fit a BBK within them due to their concave nature although I've seen pics of 8 Pot calipers fitted, not sure if that was straight forward or not.

OZ Leggera in Gold....

Neuspeed in Matt Anthracite...

Hyper Black.....

VOSSEN CVT in Gloss Graphite......

REVO rv019 in Gloss Bronze.....

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 10:06:42 pm »
I caught the back end of your ed30 thread when I joined. That was a sorted car - and no doubt gave quite a few people on here lots of ideas..

I've got to agree with you (just) about the 'yes, 7R's are everywhere, but...' argument. I think the anti-R argument holds more weight if you're comparing standard with standard. As in a standard R against a standard PP/Clubsport. Got to be a fwd car at ~300/300 or less.

But a well-modded R changes the rules. This is taking shape how I'd imagine I'd do things myself. It won't look like all those bog standard (mostly white) Rs that you don't even bother giving a nod to nowadays because you just know it aint one of us driving. It won't fall behind a tuned TFSI on the road either once you're mapped. Simple Stage 1 and you're up there. Hybrid and beyond... truly fast.

Anyway, my point is:

Standard 7R - hmmm.

Properly modded 7R - leagues above most 'normal cars'.

Final point, as I'm waffling. I like the fact you've done the eyebrows black. As in, you're not trying to make them look like part of the bonnet (Max Power Nova GSI flashback), but part of the headlights. I like this.

I liked your last car. I think I'll like this.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 10:43:22 pm »
Thanks @AJP

I genuinely agree with on the "R argument". For me I had a list of boxes to tick and the cars that ticked them were the 7R, the new RS3 and (possibly) S3 but I love my Golfs so it was never really a choice. RS3 was, and is, a better base to start from but I'd of had to PCP it and it doesn't sit well with me modding it then.

As for the Clubsport.....I prefer their looks, really do. Plus it's a belter to drive.....possibly my next car.

The eyebrows? I love em!! A real marmite mod. I think they add a litlte definition to the lights.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 10:47:04 pm »
Thanks @AJP

I genuinely agree with on the "R argument". For me I had a list of boxes to tick and the cars that ticked them were the 7R, the new RS3 and (possibly) S3 but I love my Golfs so it was never really a choice. RS3 was, and is, a better base to start from but I'd of had to PCP it and it doesn't sit well with me modding it then.

As for the Clubsport.....I prefer their looks, really do. Plus it's a belter to drive.....possibly my next car.

The eyebrows? I love em!! A real marmite mod. I think they add a litlte definition to the lights.
The eyebrows work mate, definitely. Helps that the lights are dark. Adds just a tiny bit extra to the frowny look.

Will look forward to your updates!

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 10:06:45 am »
Great to see you back Martin and all issues sorted.

Car looks great from the front, the eyebrow work well and give it some attitude. Can see the dilemma with the front badge the chrome seems to tie in nicely with the headlights.

Will keep watching with intrigue, think once you get some nicer wheels on it will transform once again. Keep up the good work  :congrats:

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 10:13:59 am »
Your car looks so evil lol

Love it though!

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 11:07:18 am »
7R is a brilliant car
Your modding has got me tempted....
Good work sir

Your car looks so evil lol

Love it though!

Thanks  :happy2:

Great to see you back Martin and all issues sorted.

Car looks great from the front, the eyebrow work well and give it some attitude. Can see the dilemma with the front badge the chrome seems to tie in nicely with the headlights.

Will keep watching with intrigue, think once you get some nicer wheels on it will transform once again. Keep up the good work  :congrats:

Can't decide on the front emblem or and its backing. So far I've gone from stock, to black on black, black on blue, chrome on blue and now back to stock.... :laugh:

All the other chrome trim has gone from EVERYWHERE so not sure if black on black is too much.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 11:09:17 am by MC71 »

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 11:21:24 pm »
Revo wheels in Gloss Bronze  :congrats: :congrats:

Glad that the issues have not resulted in getting rid of the car!!

The shortened number plate - is it road legal as I can make some form details in the usual places. I only ask as I have a similar 6 digit plate which I have to change each mot.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391