Make a donation

Author Topic: Oil Leak?  (Read 2946 times)

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
Oil Leak?
« on: June 16, 2010, 03:37:12 pm »
Decided to give the engine bay a bit of clean today when I noticed what appears to be an oil leak as per the below picture. There is a large diameter rubber tube about 6" long that comes out from the front of the engine just to the left of the dipstick and then this joins a plastic tube type thing that leads to the bottom of the engine bay, just behind the bumper. The tube is fixed at either end with a spring clamp and appears to be pretty well seated at both ends.
 As you can see the oil has managed to get onto this tube above the bottom seal and also onto the plastic above the fan, although the fan appears clear of any oil whatsoever? I've had good feel about and can't feel any tears etc in the tube so I'm lost?
 What does this tube connect to and could the oil be coming from somewhere deeper in the engine and running down this tube or could the tube just need replacing?  :sad1:

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Re: Oil Leak?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 08:44:34 pm »
Looks like the intercooler hose, from memory I believe that a bit of oil does get circulated around the system and can some times collect and drain where the intercooler meets the hosing and the down-pipe meets the associated hosing.

Although if it's covered you've probably got a split intercooler hose, have a search around on here I'm sure a few members on the forum have had similar issues.

Luke.
If you have to ask why, you'll never understand.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 08:59:22 pm »
Cheers Luke. Had a good feel around tube and can't feel any tears but that doesn't  mean there ain't one as its pretty restricted access. Found this useful diagram though which identifies as Luke suggested, the Intercooler pipe.

Does anyone know the park number?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:44:25 pm by Boothy »

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 11:29:30 pm »
Visited VW to order a replacement rubber tube and even though its only 6" long they still wanted to charge me £55 for it which is outrageou. Upon closer inspection though I found that the lower spring clip was very weak so I checked the others too. They were all loose so I have replaced them all with jubilee clips and got them all nice and tight.
 Since then its been pulling loads better! I reckon that they would be fine without the remap but they extra boost must have been too much. Small job but a big difference if you ask me. Definitely with a check for the sake of 5 minutes.