Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG Paddle Fix  (Read 12356 times)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=dml1cvsishl7uivlpebtegh600&/topic,19740.0.html
DSG Paddle Fix
« on: December 16, 2010, 02:51:24 pm »
Ive had an intermittent fault on the '+' paddle since owning the car, and today.... I fixed it!

This error is can be logged in VCDS and shows as the following, depending on which paddle has the fault.

--------
Address 16: Steering wheel Labels:

2 Faults Found:
01749 - Switch for Tiptronic in Steering Wheel (E439); Down
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

01748 - Switch for Tiptronic in Steering Wheel (E438); Up
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

--------

Part Numbers are:-
Down '-' =  1K0 951 527 B REH
Up '+' = 1K0 951 528 B REH

£65.53 Each (its only just come to my attention that the price is a TOTAL rip off... but hey, thats the price youve got to pay)

--------

HOW TO

Tools
10mm spanner for battery terminal
Torx 20 screwdriver
Short flat blade screwdriver

First..... disconnect the battery, you really dont want an airbag going off by accident in your face!

Pull the Steering wheel out to its furthest position. Remove airbag by turning the wheel to 90degrees to the right and with the flat blade screw driver unhook the retainer (shown between the red arrows) by pushing it towards the centre of the wheel as shown by the green arrow below.

Turn the wheel to 90 degrees left and do the same.

Pull out the airbag and disconnect the 2 cables (small black one at the bottom and yellow one which goes onto the slip ring at the top)

With the Torx 20, undo the retaining screw for the MFSW controls.

Pull out the MFSW controls and disconnect the white DSG paddle connector.

Undo the torx 20 screw which retains the DSG paddle.

The paddle will now pull off the the cable and plug will pull out.

Simply reverse the above to fit the new paddle. Take care not to trap the DSG wire under the MFSW control, and remember to reconnect the airbag connectors (and battery)!

Once all back together, a few error lights will be on the dashboard regarding the steering wheel and ESP. Simply turn the wheel to full lock left then full lock right and go for a little drive and they will clear!

Rich
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 07:37:23 pm by richwig83 »

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Re: DSG Paddle Fix
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 04:16:49 pm »
nice write up Rich, also a good guide for people lookign to retro the multi-function buttons!  :happy2:  I also removed the steering column cowling as I found the screw driver was exerting pressure on this when trying to remove the airbag hooks, but I do have massively over-sized hands!  :grin:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=dml1cvsishl7uivlpebtegh600&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 04:48:26 pm »
Ta Rich.... only took 20mins. Well worth it, because before i had to really squeeze the paddle to make sure it worked!

Your right it is a little close to the cowling... but so long as a little care is excersied one should be ok (thats the reason i state, short screw driver... make it loads easier)

Rich

Offline v2brett

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 07:35:22 pm »
top write up mate  :happy2: 
Still Here!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 09:41:35 pm »
Thanks  :happy2:

Just been out to give it a proper test... and so far it hasnt missed a change!  :pomppomp:

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 11:22:25 am »
Hi Rich... I have a similar error logged from time to time...is it basically a faulty DSG paddle?

Apart from checking the logs is there any symptom that might indicate towards the issue?

Cheers buddy  :xmaspresent:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 11:34:28 am »
Yes... The actual symptom is that when you hit a paddle to shift gear, it doesn't!

And yes... I think it's just a dodgy microswitch in the DSG paddle itself!

Rich

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 06:28:49 pm »
Righto... I'll mention it to the stealers... mind you my  DSG paddles have always done what they have been asked...

Offline JamboV6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 11:55:04 pm »
Hi Rich do you still have the faulty paddle and if so do you still need it? I am looking at making some custom paddle extensions and having a loose paddle would make the job alot easier
Cheers
James
09 3dr Diamond black DSG~ Vienna leather~winter pack~Black headliner~Cruise~Arm rest~RNS-510~Flapper mod~LED Side lights,Number Plate, interiors, Fog & Reverse~6000K HID Upgrade~Valeo OEM LED Rears~Lowtec spring~R-pad retainers~Auto boot pop~Audi Shark Fin~Alu mirrors~Centre cap mod with .:R caps.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 01:01:09 am »
Sorry jambov6.. i threw it in the bin.