Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf GT TDi  (Read 53307 times)

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
Golf GT TDi
« on: July 27, 2011, 09:53:00 am »
Previously posted in the General forum but I thought I would move it over here........

Well after nearly a year of hunting and some sound advice both here and on the Briskoda forum we have finally found a Golf GT to replace swmbo's Focus (the work horse) the car not swmbo!   :grin:

The vehicle spec:

2007MY Golf GT Tdi PD140, Graphite Blue Pearl, 44k, 1 owner from new with a fvwsh.  
Standard equipment includes auto on lights, rain sensitive wipers, auto dimmer rear view mirror, electric windows front and rear, electric/heated wing mirrors.  
Optional extras - MFD2 DVD Sat Nav with ipod prep, highline display, centre armrest, electric slide and tilt sunroof.

So anyway, we left home yesterday and around 1.5 hours and 100 miles later we arrived at the sellers, although the car looked good the only way I can describe it is 'neglected' the owner has been using his new car since January leaving the Golf to his son who was doing between 10-20 miles a week.  Looking beyond the accumulated kak, the bodywork was tidy, and structurally it seemed sound.  On to the test drive - a stage 1 vRS it ain't but tbh, its not to shabby, I ran through the various checks recommended by members and all seemed fine (no strangled owls under the bonnet).  When we got back to the guys place he handed my a document wallet which contained every receipt/invoice since he originally purchased the car.  This included an invoice from the stealers for a cam belt change in February!   :happy2:

After a cuppa and a chat with his son about KW Coilovers and the vRS etc   :drinking:   we began negations, to be fair for the condition, mileage and spec it was cheap but hey ho when in Rome...........

.........2nd offer excepted and he threw in a nearly new set of Thule 754 aero roof bars.  :)

Ok enough talking, below are the pictures before and after a bit of TLC.  :smiley:
Before -

Spider in the headlight -   :surprised:

After -

So far so good, well happy with it.

What’s next?
During the clean up today I removed the mud flaps, never been a fan and esthetically I think it looks far better without them, changed the standard halogen bulbs for a set of Ring Xenon Max (previously in the vRS).
Imminent - replacement headlights with black inners (ordered) gloss black wrap for the grille area, GTi rear silencer, a GTi front and rear valance and side skirts which will be colour coded.  Last but not least a remap!  :wink:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 07:19:49 pm by vRS_Pagey »

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
Re: Golf GT TDi
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 11:30:07 am »
That is possibly the dirtiest engine bay I have ever seen in a MK5.
Bet you felt so good once it was all cleaned up?!

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 11:53:55 am »
That is possibly the dirtiest engine bay I have ever seen in a MK5.
Bet you felt so good once it was all cleaned up?!
I was moderately pleased...... :grin:

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 09:21:26 pm »
During the clean up today I removed the mud flaps, never been a fan and esthetically I think it looks far better without them

Don't suppose you'd be interested in selling the front mudflaps would you matey??

Offline sf1506

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 09:34:09 am »
Hi 007
I've got front and back mud flaps if your interested mate  :wink:
Steve

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 03:02:00 pm »
During the clean up today I removed the mud flaps, never been a fan and esthetically I think it looks far better without them

Don't suppose you'd be interested in selling the front mudflaps would you matey??
I have put the mudflaps in the for sale section mate......

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 04:20:48 pm »
Some additonal modding, including fitting a colour coded rear GTi valance (painted professionally), GTi front splitter (painted in the comfort of my garage) and finally a bit of wrapping for the B pillars to spice them up.  :happy2:

Half done -

Tbh the pictures of the splitter don't do it justice, suffice to say I will be DIY painting the side skirts when they land.....

Next on the agenda, get hold of the GTi lower insert for the splitter which I will be painting gloss black along with the lower part of the rear valance.  :happy2:

« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 07:20:53 pm by vRS_Pagey »

Offline MJR

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 04:26:09 pm »
Very clean indeed  :happy2:

*on another note, you say you have ordered GTI headlights with black inserts? If so where from because I'm after a standard set of them too & can only find some on E-Bay, but they all look fake to me :(
Bye Bye VW Candy White Golf GTi  :'-(  (sadly missed!)
Bye Bye Ford Fiesta TDCi Zetec! (piece of s**t!) lol
Hello Honda Accord GT Tourer! schaweet!

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 08:04:33 pm »

*on another note, you say you have ordered GTI headlights with black inserts? If so where from because I'm after a standard set of them too & can only find some on E-Bay, but they all look fake to me :(
You have just missed out on an OE set (on different auctions) on the bay, used but apparently mint, each went for less than a 50 quid.

I am sorry to say I have gone for copies, but apart from them not having the VW logo (which is pretty special) over the bulb they are as good as OE, made by Hella.  Only got 1 so far, paid £33 inc del and you can't tell the difference......

Offline RSam84

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 09:12:45 pm »
looks really good, cant believe how dirty that bay was! B-pillers look good painted as well.

Offline MJR

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 11:30:27 pm »

You have just missed out on an OE set (on different auctions) on the bay, used but apparently mint, each went for less than a 50 quid.

I am sorry to say I have gone for copies, but apart from them not having the VW logo (which is pretty special) over the bulb they are as good as OE, made by Hella.  Only got 1 so far, paid £33 inc del and you can't tell the difference......

I'll keep my eye out for a bargain  :happy2:
Bye Bye VW Candy White Golf GTi  :'-(  (sadly missed!)
Bye Bye Ford Fiesta TDCi Zetec! (piece of s**t!) lol
Hello Honda Accord GT Tourer! schaweet!

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 02:47:16 pm »
looks really good, cant believe how dirty that bay was! B-pillers look good painted as well.
Thanks mate, the 'B' pillars are wrapped in gloss vinyl, I had a bit left over from doing the front grille.  :happy2:

Today has been a quieter one, all I've managed so far is to fit LED number plate bulbs and chrome indicator bulbs.  :wink:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 06:45:06 pm by vRS_Pagey »

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 05:55:10 pm »
Update:

Finally got the exhaust sorted, my mechanic did a great job, but being Mr.OCD I wasn't 100% happy with the alignment of the exhaust trims and also they stuck out a bit far, so after an hour an a half of work which included completely removing the bumper to get a grinder on the pipes he welded on, here is the result........

I think it looks good and definitely passes for OE but I am still on the hunt for an genuine Tsi/Tdi/Gti back box for the true OE finish (unless a performance one crops up).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 07:21:20 pm by vRS_Pagey »

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 06:03:51 pm »
coming along nicely--glad to see its not just me that has to have the gap right on the exhaust :signLOL:

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 06:13:15 pm »
coming along nicely--glad to see its not just me that has to have the gap right on the exhaust :signLOL:
:laugh:  I can be a nightmare with things like that, tbh I'm still not 100% convinced, I keep going out and adjusting it a fraction!  :rolleye: It's been cleverly done though, basically my mechanic has welded a length of pipe to the standard back box then added a bridging piece with a shorter length of pipe running parallel, this is what the trims are then screwed to.  The functionality is still there with one outlet feeding in to the new pipe and the other expelling as before.   :happy2:

Edit:  Forgot to add the picture of the rear badge, just added a bit of gloss black vinyl to refresh the tired grey inserts -

I've also had the rear brake discs and pads changed, painted silver hammerite around the edge and on the bell/hub prior to fitting.  No pictures though as it's a bit boring....... :indifferent:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 07:21:39 pm by vRS_Pagey »