Make a donation

Author Topic: Wheres the cheapest/best place to watch the formula 1?  (Read 8336 times)

Offline MightyMullet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
  • Penzance, Cornwall
Wheres the cheapest/best place to watch the formula 1?
« on: April 26, 2013, 06:54:41 am »
Ive got a lot to spend money over the next couple of years, wedding, house and most importantly i have a MK5 to modify :evilgrin:

So i was wondering where is the best place to go and watch it that is affordable, as im assuming the tickets aren't the same price everywhere? Or shall i just stick to silverstone and do it in a few years time instead.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
Re: Wheres the cheapest/best place to watch the formula 1?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 11:09:36 am »
I'm sure Silverstone would come out cheaper after you factor in the travelling costs for the other locations.

Although that's an assumption as I've not done any research :ashamed:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline rob_e

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 7
  • 2012 vRS Octavia
    • vRS blog on Pistonheads
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 12:01:00 pm »
I've done UK, Monza, Barcelona, Monaco and France.

Not been for a few years, but if you manage to get easy jet cheap flights, share accomodation and car hire with a few mates i found you could do monza for less than the cost of a good granstant ticket for silverstone.  Reason:  silverstone you NEED grandstand tickets in order to be able to see anything, where at Monza a "general entry" ticket is all you need - there are lots of great free viewing areas.

If you're smart about it you could also do Monaco pretty cheaply - share a car with some mates, kip in a tent somewhere in france and train-in to monte carlo for the race.  Would certainly be more fun that northampton!

:)
2012 TSI vRS: H&R monotubes, S3 arms, H&R rARB, Neuspeed RSe07, Brembos, MFSW and a few other tweaks..  PH Blog:  http://www.pistonheads.com/members/showcar.asp?carId=191311

Offline Simon_2.0t

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 12:05:08 pm »
Looking to do Spa this year with my dad and brother.

Tickets about @£300 each for grandstands
Euro tunnel: @£100 return
Hotels: @£40 a night (Etap, Belgium equivalant of Travelodge)
Petrol: couple of tanks (£140ish)
Food: £

But then spotted Nurbergring is very close, love to combine the two  :driver:

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 12:07:14 pm »
It all depends what you class as affordable,you can watch at silverstone for 145 quid which I have done,its okay but you have to watch from anywhere you find a space.
We went in a stand last year and also camped  :confused: I told everyone I'll never go again.
I looked at Valencia they do a stand seat for 45 quid but the flights and hotel factored in it might be too much.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 12:43:38 pm »
I'm sure Silverstone would come out cheaper after you factor in the travelling costs for the other locations.

Depends on whether you want to do the whole weekend or not. We've done Spa and it was about £700 in total, including fuel, Eurostar, grandstand tickets, camping and food and drink, plus an overnight stay in Brugge.

We've also done Silverstone and the whole weekend cost more, and as an event to attend it's really not as good IMO.

Offline MightyMullet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Penzance, Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 04:41:53 pm »
I've done UK, Monza, Barcelona, Monaco and France.

Not been for a few years, but if you manage to get easy jet cheap flights, share accomodation and car hire with a few mates i found you could do monza for less than the cost of a good granstant ticket for silverstone.  Reason:  silverstone you NEED grandstand tickets in order to be able to see anything, where at Monza a "general entry" ticket is all you need - there are lots of great free viewing areas.

If you're smart about it you could also do Monaco pretty cheaply - share a car with some mates, kip in a tent somewhere in france and train-in to monte carlo for the race.  Would certainly be more fun that northampton!

:)

Cheers for that info, helps me out loads  :happy2:

Itll be me and the mrs as shes well into her F1 and we were thinking about doing exactly that, driving to monaco, camping and watching the race. Is it easy to get a good spot there? How much were the tickets?
I had heard it was cheaper to go somewhere else other than silverstone hence why i asked.

Id imagine a whole weekend ticket would be crazy money so i think itll just be the sunday, wherever we go were hoping to make it a holiday and check out the sites nearby.
I would like to spend under £500pp ideally as my honeymoon is costing £1000pp which stings abit!

What websites are best for getting tickets off also, that way i can see the costs and work out travel etc.

Cheers guys :drinking:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 05:00:20 pm »
Your best to go to Silverstone this year to save on expense then go abroad next year to watch a few races etc.

As mentioned, Spa is a good one to go to as is the Italian GP. Both have some cracking places to watch from but you'd need grandstand tickets and a TV view is a nice bonus. Expect anything from £200 for a grandstand ticket to £500+ for a covered grandstand ticket on the start/ finish line with TV view etc.

formula1.com site is very good IMO.

~~ Clicky here ~~

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline MightyMullet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Penzance, Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 06:51:54 pm »
Awesome mate, thanks for the link. It seems its not a cheap sport to spectate, ill see where i can squeeze in some time to go and get it booked  :jumping: If not maybe ill just watch BTCC this year instead, thats got to be a hell of a lot cheaper.

Thanks everyone  :happy2:

Offline MikLSP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 08:08:35 pm »
While the race is the thing everyone wants to see,  I'd honestly recommend going to qualifying if you want to experience F1 for a bit less.
Not only are tickets cheaper but the viewing areas are much quieter and you will be free to move around the whole circuit to watch from all different places.
Admittedly you don't see all cars on track at once and there isn't the same buzz about the place as there is on race day but you can better appreciate the sights, sounds and even smells of the cars as well as get better photos thanks to the freedom of movement.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 11:24:16 am »
Do the German leg of the WRC. Tickets are dead cheap. the Mosel valley is glorious. Fuel and accomodation will be the only big spends.

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 11:50:08 pm »
Plus 1 for Monza, get a uber cheap air ticket to Bergamo or Milan proper.....cheap hotel in town and then get the train to Monza and walk to the circuit...