Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk7 R Build thread now up  (Read 236357 times)

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
Re: MC71's Red Mistress
« Reply #345 on: January 25, 2015, 11:03:37 am »
I really like both them wheels and both would suit the car well. I take it the OZ are the lighter of the two?

I can't find any info on the weight of the OZ wheels but I assume they are as light as my left gonad.

From OZ.....

The New OZ Formula HLT was designed to mark the the beginning of the partnership between OZ and the Ferrari F1 race team, the most illustrious squad in Formula 1. This working partnership is hard-earned proof of the goals reached by OZ and proof of its commitment to research and development of the most innovative technologies, setting the standard for road and race wheels.
OZ's experience in Formula 1 is fully exploited in the Formula HLT Wheel. The designers at the OZ Tech Lab took their inspiration from the design and technical solutions crafted for the F2012's 10 spoke front wheel. The same machinery, designers and materials used to manufacture racing wheels are also used in its standard production.
It's 10 Spokes ensure the best possible balance in terms of distribution of forces. The Formula wheel is manufactured using HLT (High Light Technology), a production process that makes it possible to achieve mechanical characteristics similar to those of a forged wheel, maximizing mechanical resistance to tension and force, while at the same time reducing weight considerably. Formula HLT comes in either the Central Lock Cap version or with a 5 Stud Carbon Fibre Cap. Like all OZ wheels, Formula HLT wheels are TUV & PLUS certified (an additional level of tests and certification voluntarily applied by OZ).

« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 11:07:04 am by MC71 »

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=egkhlhv5c913jl8qcfnrus9roc&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #346 on: January 25, 2015, 11:07:30 am »
Im not keen on those. Why write "Center Lock" on them when they clearly are not.... makes them look like reps.  :confused:

Offline TommyR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 20
  • Black Edition 30
« Reply #347 on: January 25, 2015, 11:19:42 am »
The OZ's without a doubt! :happy2:

Offline Gripper1

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #348 on: January 25, 2015, 11:25:27 am »
Will do, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #349 on: January 25, 2015, 12:26:23 pm »
Im not keen on those. Why write "Center Lock" on them when they clearly are not.... makes them look like reps.  :confused:

Someone was gonna point out the obvious!  :laugh:

I agree to be honest but from a distance they will look the dingles, it's only as you get closer you'll realise what a cheap stake arse I really am and can't afford "real" centre locks.

Will do, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Biano44

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 14
  • The CC GT 200
« Reply #350 on: January 25, 2015, 12:44:21 pm »
They are my favourite wheel at the moment but nearly everyone tells me they would look sh!t on my car. Too motorsporty.
So I say go on and buy them so that I can live vicariously through you!! Cheers.  :popcornsoda:

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #351 on: January 25, 2015, 05:53:41 pm »
They look great to me! I'm an Oz fan - I had Ultraleggeras on my old mk4 - nice light wheels, but an utter pain to clean in corners of the spokes, especially after trackdays. Still - this was before I had the Pescara's on my mk5, so on reflection these'll be a breeze.
Go for it Martin - the other wheels I'd like to see on an ED30 are the BBS CH-R wheels, but you've had BBS and Teamdynamics, so it really only does leave Oz or maybe Compomotive as the alternative light wheel choice...IMHO of course!

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #352 on: January 25, 2015, 06:04:08 pm »
They are my favourite wheel at the moment but nearly everyone tells me they would look sh!t on my car. Too motorsporty.
So I say go on and buy them so that I can live vicariously through you!! Cheers.  :popcornsoda:

:laugh: How can I say no to that!

They look great to me! I'm an Oz fan - I had Ultraleggeras on my old mk4 - nice light wheels, but an utter pain to clean in corners of the spokes, especially after trackdays. Still - this was before I had the Pescara's on my mk5, so on reflection these'll be a breeze.
Go for it Martin - the other wheels I'd like to see on an ED30 are the BBS CH-R wheels, but you've had BBS and Teamdynamics, so it really only does leave Oz or maybe Compomotive as the alternative light wheel choice...IMHO of course!

So NEARLY bought some second hand gold Compomotive wheels last year, a chap was running on his vRS but bottled out in the end due to the colour.......still regret that.

Yeap, other option a set of OZ Ultraleggera's in Athracite, truly stunning wheels. Hmm  :innocent:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 06:05:52 pm by MC71 »

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #353 on: January 25, 2015, 07:26:55 pm »
Or bbs ck look nice   :innocent: :innocent:

Offline Neilgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #354 on: January 25, 2015, 07:56:17 pm »
Hi mate
if you do decide to go for these, they come with 2 sets of centre caps, one for the inside so you can use them without the centre lock covers, and also the centre lock covers as a centre cap if that makes sense  :grin:
But they only come with 1 set of OZ carbon stick on badges, DT stuck the carbon badges on the inner caps and not on the outer cover cap,
They are supplying another set F.O.C so if i was you i would get them to order an extra set of stick on badges  :happy2:

MK5 GTi
MK5 R32
MK6 Gti, all gone but not forgotten
Now loving the 7R

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #355 on: January 25, 2015, 08:11:07 pm »
Or bbs ck look nice   :innocent: :innocent:

Yes they do Andy!   :drinking:

Ive tried to source some in 18" in Athracite and contacted the peeps at Wheelbase and Rimstyle but they have none and will be getting no more, discontinued by all accounts in that colour.

Found some CK's in Anthracite in 19"x8" ET44 5x112 from a Motorsport company in the US of A for only £665 but would need to add Shipping, handling, insurance and Import tax blah blah blah on top so probably another £400.  :grin:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #356 on: January 25, 2015, 08:18:17 pm »
Hi mate
if you do decide to go for these, they come with 2 sets of centre caps, one for the inside so you can use them without the centre lock covers, and also the centre lock covers as a centre cap if that makes sense  :grin:
But they only come with 1 set of OZ carbon stick on badges, DT stuck the carbon badges on the inner caps and not on the outer cover cap,
They are supplying another set F.O.C so if i was you i would get them to order an extra set of stick on badges  :happy2:

Awesome looking wheels Neil, thanks for that. I saw your post with them on your shiney new R!  :drool:

Are the outer caps as secure as normal centre caps? I'd be more than posse dif some little turd decided he fancied them.

Offline Neilgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #357 on: January 25, 2015, 09:09:04 pm »
Yes mate the centre lock covers fix in the place of the rear cap, so rear cap needs to be popped out to fix it, come with a little tool to pull them off, haven't took one off yet ? But they do click in with a clunk  :happy2:
MK5 GTi
MK5 R32
MK6 Gti, all gone but not forgotten
Now loving the 7R

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #358 on: January 25, 2015, 10:10:09 pm »
^^^^ Shweeeet!  :happy2:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #359 on: February 03, 2015, 08:51:03 pm »
Mini Update...

Alex at AKStuning fitted a new Thermostat, the CTS Turbo Throttle Pipe, CTS Outlet (Discharge) Pipe and the Unibrace UB style Chassis Brace yesterday.

She now feels so much more responsive and "appears" to rev/spool with more purpose, it may all be a placebo effect but it's there, not sure if it is the new stat, the pipes or a combo of both! Forgot to take any pictures of the bits fitted, the CTS pipes are the same as fitted to @paulmk5gti 's 4WD beauty so I've nicked his photos (hope that's ok fella).

CTS Turbo Pipes....

Info (below) on the CTS Pipes from PSI Tuning where I bought them from.

CTS Turbo Outlet (Discharge) Pipe...

The CTS Turbo Outlet Pipe is designed to replace the narrow 'pancake' pipe that comes as factory equipment on your vehicle.

Our Turbo Outlet Pipe features 2.25" diameter aluminum tube for optimized flow. The CNC machined billet mating flange makes connecting this TOP to your FMIC literally a snap. The billet anodized turbo to TOP connector, 2.25" coupler and premium clamps top this package off. If you're looking for a simple bolt on modification that will optimize flow and increase power, then this part is for you.

The OEM charge piping leaves something to be desired with inefficient bends, blockages not optimized for performance. The CTS Turbo throttle pipe increases the entire inside diameter to 2.5" allowing for increased flow and greater performance. The integrated water methanol bung allows for simple and straight forward installation of kits from Snow Performance. All of the components included in the CTS throttle pipe kit work flawlessly together to provide increased efficiency, horsepower and torque throughout the entire power band and an aggressive race inspired sound.

Product Details:
- Mandrel bent aluminum piping with black powder coating
- CNC machined MAP flange
- DV relocation/noise pipe bung
- 4 Ply silicon connectors with stainless steel clamps
- Integrated water methanol bung with plug
- Stainless steel clamps

Brace.....

Also took a punt on the brace, at only £120 it's a fraction of the price of a genuine Unibrace UB Brace so was happily surprised when it all fitted fine. Not sure if it adds anything to the party but it feels as if it has tightened things up (more placebo maybe). Also no pics of the brace fitted but same as the one @Tejinder has fitted to his monster .:R32. Pics below of what it looks like in place on his car.

Link to where I purchased the brace.....

~~ Clicky here ~~

And as fitted to Tejinder's car....

Future plans are all sorted too, booked in for.......

H&R Monotube Coilovers
Audi Top Mounts
SuperPro Ball Joints
Superpro Poly bush all remaining bushes
Fit Autotech Front Anti Roll Bar
AKS 4 Wheel Alignment

I still need to decide on wheels too! Alex further confused things by recommending Speedline Turini wheels in Anthracite.  :confused:

« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 08:50:57 am by MC71 »