Make a donation

Author Topic: Has anyone put an APR map onto their car?  (Read 13519 times)

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
Has anyone put an APR map onto their car?
« on: March 05, 2009, 09:21:25 pm »
Needing to find out more about them from a 'man on the ground' point of view, all looks pretty good

Offline billyboy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
  • Billy lar
Re: Has anyone put an APR map onto their car?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 09:31:51 pm »
Mines APR1, from awesome,
not had any probz, wot do you need to know
you could always go for a free trial
billy

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 09:33:08 pm »
Needing to find out more about them from a 'man on the ground' point of view, all looks pretty good

Yes i had stage 2 on my old LCR and had the trial map on my mk4 r32 but as mine had the 6463 update it made fook all so just thought keep the cash and spend it on other stuff. y not just put the cash aside for a turbo  :evilgrin: or other mods

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 09:36:23 pm »
billy

awesomes a bit far for me, there's a place in devon though i think

have you got switchable modes? if so what?

was your car mapped in real time via the internet or was it coded from a standalone machine?

whats the aggression level of the accellerator like in performance mode (99+ or 100+)

which map did you go for with what mods (stage)

:happy2:

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 09:39:25 pm »

Yes i had stage 2 on my old LCR and had the trial map on my mk4 r32 but as mine had the 6463 update it made fook all so just thought keep the cash and spend it on other stuff. y not just put the cash aside for a turbo  :evilgrin: or other mods

yeah i had the 6463 then a stage 1 custom code on my mk4 r32, doesnt make that much difference but does increase the driveablitys and a crisper throttle

the map i want for the mk5 needs to be switchable, and i want to be able to adjust the aggression levels. much better than my previous map as you can set the limiter to stop people such as garages ragging your car when theyre working on it, valet modes and modes for different octanes although i stick to Vpower

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 09:41:49 pm »

yeah i had the 6463 then a stage 1 custom code on my mk4 r32, doesnt make that much difference but does increase the driveablitys and a crisper throttle

the map i want for the mk5 needs to be switchable, and i want to be able to adjust the aggression levels. much better than my previous map as you can set the limiter to stop people such as garages ragging your car when theyre working on it, valet modes and modes for different octanes although i stick to Vpower

well if thats what u want go revo with the select switch and then u have all the options you need in a switch

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 09:52:41 pm »
can the apr map not be controlled via the cruise stalk?

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 09:55:25 pm »
can the apr map not be controlled via the cruise stalk?

Yes

Offline billyboy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
  • Billy lar
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 10:32:11 pm »
billy

awesomes a bit far for me, there's a place in devon though i think

have you got switchable modes? if so what?

was your car mapped in real time via the internet or was it coded from a standalone machine?

whats the aggression level of the accellerator like in performance mode (99+ or 100+)

which map did you go for with what mods (stage)

:happy2:
Easy tiger slow down, little bit over my head, some of that.
mines not got criuse (yet) but if it did then you could add modes (extra £)
the tinternet thing not got an igloo, soz
and throttle thing, again dont know
sounds like am a right div, but am not, i just got what i asked for APR1.
so i might get educatered (oopps) on this one
bill

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 11:21:09 pm »
IMO the select plus is an overkill with a non aspirated engine as you can't alter the boost and little you can do with the timing. The anti-theft feature is a plus though...
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Toptrump

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 08:53:44 am »
Hey VC.

I have a APR stage 1 remap from Awesome (live about 30 minutes away), I had it done within two weeks of buying the GTI in July, after first having their 6 hour free trial.  They allow you to have several maps if you have the Cruise Control fitted, plus will fit CC for £150 (I think last time I looked).

The car is completely standard otherwise though.  As for mapping they took my car into the workshop and a man plugged his laptop/computer in and did what he did.   :smiley:  I assume it was a ECU flash compared to running it on a road or rollers where a map plays around as the car drives (my Subaru was done like this).  I had it back about 15-20 minutes later and drove away.

Performance wise, so much better than stock (of course), lots more power from the bottom all the way up.  Much easier to pull away in higher gears now while on the move.   Turbo spool is about 2500 which is similar to what it was before but there is far more go!  The only problem with it really is that it's very easy to get the TC kicking in while pulling away very agressively or in damp/wet conditions and now and again while over taking something and you just mash the pedal down.  :laugh:  Some of that comes from me having to learn to drive differenly again as when you come from a 4WD beast that simply does not care for TC and you just go into warp speed as and when then you forget anything progressive.  :smiley:

I am very happy with the power, and I think it delivers it smoothly across the range.

I run mine currently on 95 fuel and it still goes quickly, really must put some V-Power back in it, but trying to save money a little bit at the moment and I will just chew through all that fuel.  I would give Awesome a ring and ask them some questions as their website has changed a little bit since I was looking at it in the sumer as they say they do different fuel maps which was not there before.  Even if you do not go there for a map they should answer questions for all APR mapping centers.

And you are more than welcome to have a drive of mine if you are in the North West some time.  Although I am near Reading all next week on a training course if you happen to live down that way.  :smiley:

Andrew

Walk softly and carry a big gun!

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 09:28:25 am »
Toptrump, brilliant many thanks  :happy2:, cheers for the offer of a drive too but i would need to drive stock first to be able to compare, also i live many moons away

i had no idea that Awesome dealt with APR software, will definately give them a call for a chat.

this was announce in Feb (only found it last night though)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APR is pleased to present our ECU Upgrade for the new 3.2L Engine as found in the MK5 R32, 8P A3 and MKII TT. It's now available from APR through our extensive dealer network.

Features Included:
* APR's Patented Directport Programming Technology
APR Software is loaded directly from APR onto your vehicle via an internet connection. This can be preformed at any authorized APR dealer, or by sending your ECU to APR.
* APR's EMCS Functionality
Program switching and features are available to the end user without the need for external hardware. The user can easily cycle though programs using their cruise control stalk. Your cruise control stalk will operate normally while driving.
* Exact OEM Calibration Stock Mode
For whatever reason, if you ever need to run your vehicle with the stock calibration that came with the car, it's right at your finger tips.
* 91 Octane Performance Mode
APR Performance calibration designed to run on a minimum of 91 octane fuel
* 93 Octane Performance Mode
APR Performance calibration designed to run on a minimum of 93 octane fuel
* 100 Octane Performance Mode
APR Performance calibration designed to run on a minimum of 100 octane fuel
* Valet Mode
A significantly detuned operating mode. Valet mode will prevent unwanted people from joyriding in your vehicle while it's out of your care.
* Fault Code Erase/Throttle Body Alignment
Throw a check engine light when unplugging a sensor? Need to do a throttle body alignment after working on your car? With these options at your fingers, it's now possible w/o a trip to the dealership or the need for external hardware.
* Security Lockout
Using a unique security code, when locked out, it's impossible to switch programs or detect you are running modified software. Further more, when in stock mode it's impossible for diagnostic tools to detect our software. All flash counters and other settings are reset to the values they were prior to reflashing with APR software.
* Anti-theft
Disables throttle input when enabled. Even if your keys are left in the vehicle, this extra layer of protection will help deter theft.

Each performance mode listed above is also available in the following configurations:
* Stage 1
* Stage 1 with Testpipes
* Stage 1 7200 RPM Rev Limit for HPA DSG Compatibility
* Stage 1 7200 RPM Rev Limit with Testpipes for HPA DSG Compatibility

APR's ECU Upgrade is available in three configurations:
*Fully Loaded - $599
You will receive all the features above with your choice of four of the calibrations above: [Stock/91/93/100/valet]
*Single Program Only - $399
You may choose a single calibration: [91/93]
*Trial Software - FREE
Any APR dealer is able to flash your vehicle with free trial software. You're fully able to test out the software for free before buying. Regardless, all APR software comes with a 30 day money back guarantee.

Free Updates/Reflashes:
If APR ever makes a revision to the software, or if you ever lose your software through a dealership software update, feel free to contact APR for a free reflash.

Dyno Performance:
All testing was conducted on a stock vehicle with stock hardware and stock TCU software. Increases in power can be seen with hardware modifications.

Offline Toptrump

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 09:49:46 am »
Wow lots of options I might have to wander down there and see if there is any updates.  :smiley:

Arh yes I forgot you had a R32, lucky devil you.  :grin:
Walk softly and carry a big gun!

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 10:27:55 am »
i had a custom code map loaded onto the mrs EOS and ive had maps before. the EOS map was very impressive taking the car from 195bhp to 243bhp rolling road confirmed wuth CAI and zorst with the option of taking it to 300bhp with fuel pump etc but traction and the roof weight over the back meant it would be madness

so although driving an .:R32 ive been able to 'feel' the EOS in a before and after way, totally different power delivery though