Make a donation

Author Topic: Removing engine cover  (Read 10714 times)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Removing engine cover
« on: April 04, 2009, 04:11:00 pm »
Upon waking from my slumber, I casually rolled out of bed and decided I wanted a few new things from the stealers for the car, one of which being a new air filter. Through tiny gaps in the curtains, shafts of sunlight beamed and bathed the room in a warm, comforting glow. It was time to head out.

After a pleasant experience at the local Volkswagen garage, I procured the appropriate parts and headed home. Donning sunglasses, I wound the windows down and raised the volume of my stereo. The warm weather, the glorious sound of hip-hop emanating from the speakers and the satisfaction of my new purchases left an equally warm glow inside me. It was definitely time for a leisurely drive.

The ten minute journey home became a half-hour cruise, entirely pleasurable. Having arrived at my stately manor, I decided a quick lunch was in order. On the menu was the left over pizza and nachos from the previous night's entertainment. Once finished, I quaffed some lemonade to chase down my meal.

Feeling more than satisfied, I perused my computer and had a brief read of this page >clicky<. Making a mental note of the salient points, I prepared my sack and headed towards the car. The sack was placed on a table in the garage, its contents loosely spilling out - screwdriver set, multiple multicoloured microfibre cloths and various lotions decorated the table top.

A tap on the keys, a pull of a handle, a yank of a lever and the press of a button was all that was required to open the bonnet. Carefully studying the view before me, I recalled the earlier description and started removing clips and sensors. Now I was ready to remove the bonnet.

Huck!
Heave!

It didn't shift. I tried again.

Puuuulll!
Yaaank!

No. Nothing. It wouldn't budge.

Blaming my weakened state on a full belly, I proceeded to remove the fog grilles. They'd been soiled for a long time and were often missed during regular washes. After some degreaser, shampoo and rinse, the grilles were left to bask in the sun to dry.

Again, I tried to remove the engine cover. It failed to budge.

Turning my attention to the fog grilles, I slathered them in copious amounts of Autoglym Rubber and Vinyl Trim cleaner before dabbing them dry with a cloth.

Again, I tried and tried and tried to remove the cover. I pondered over the possibilities and yet none struck me as viable without the pertinent risk of damage to the remainder of the vehicle.

I proceeded to clean the foglights before refitting the grilles.

Another attempt in removing the cover failed.

I decided enough was enough. It was time to summon supernatural forces.

I raised aloft my magic sword and said: "By the Power of Greyskull, I HAVE THE POWER!!!!"

Placing my now empowered fingers under the cover, I pulled with all my might, extending from my feet all the way to my fingers.

Nothing.

I called on the strength of Conan, Hercules and Samson.
It would not budge.

I called on the might of the Power Rangers.
Nothing.

Gah! Grrrr! Hulk Smash!

After multiple futile attempts, I returned to my demure self and proceeded to clean the windows and top up the washer fluid. My ego deflated, my happiness gone, my fingers aching, I sit in a darkened room as I tell my tale of woe.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll pray.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 04:13:06 pm by stealthwolf »

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
Re: Removing engine cover
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 04:18:15 pm »
 :signLOL: :signLOL: :fighting2:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 04:18:26 pm »
Now that is what I call a write-up :signLOL:

Unfortunately it will be summarily followed by mocking bursts of "epic fail" visuals in the near future from some of our more colourful members. :wink:
Golf R gone.

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 04:55:51 pm »
I have quoted that just in case you try to delete it  :signLOL:
Upon waking from my slumber, I casually rolled out of bed and decided I wanted a few new things from the stealers for the car, one of which being a new air filter. Through tiny gaps in the curtains, shafts of sunlight beamed and bathed the room in a warm, comforting glow. It was time to head out.

After a pleasant experience at the local Volkswagen garage, I procured the appropriate parts and headed home. Donning sunglasses, I wound the windows down and raised the volume of my stereo. The warm weather, the glorious sound of hip-hop emanating from the speakers and the satisfaction of my new purchases left an equally warm glow inside me. It was definitely time for a leisurely drive.

The ten minute journey home became a half-hour cruise, entirely pleasurable. Having arrived at my stately manor, I decided a quick lunch was in order. On the menu was the left over pizza and nachos from the previous night's entertainment. Once finished, I quaffed some lemonade to chase down my meal.

Feeling more than satisfied, I perused my computer and had a brief read of this page >clicky<. Making a mental note of the salient points, I prepared my sack and headed towards the car. The sack was placed on a table in the garage, its contents loosely spilling out - screwdriver set, multiple multicoloured microfibre cloths and various lotions decorated the table top.

A tap on the keys, a pull of a handle, a yank of a lever and the press of a button was all that was required to open the bonnet. Carefully studying the view before me, I recalled the earlier description and started removing clips and sensors. Now I was ready to remove the bonnet.

Huck!
Heave!

It didn't shift. I tried again.

Puuuulll!
Yaaank!

No. Nothing. It wouldn't budge.

Blaming my weakened state on a full belly, I proceeded to remove the fog grilles. They'd been soiled for a long time and were often missed during regular washes. After some degreaser, shampoo and rinse, the grilles were left to bask in the sun to dry.

Again, I tried to remove the engine cover. It failed to budge.

Turning my attention to the fog grilles, I slathered them in copious amounts of Autoglym Rubber and Vinyl Trim cleaner before dabbing them dry with a cloth.

Again, I tried and tried and tried to remove the cover. I pondered over the possibilities and yet none struck me as viable without the pertinent risk of damage to the remainder of the vehicle.

I proceeded to clean the foglights before refitting the grilles.

Another attempt in removing the cover failed.

I decided enough was enough. It was time to summon supernatural forces.

I raised aloft my magic sword and said: "By the Power of Greyskull, I HAVE THE POWER!!!!"

Placing my now empowered fingers under the cover, I pulled with all my might, extending from my feet all the way to my fingers.

Nothing.

I called on the strength of Conan, Hercules and Samson.
It would not budge.

I called on the might of the Power Rangers.
Nothing.

Gah! Grrrr! Hulk Smash!

After multiple futile attempts, I returned to my demure self and proceeded to clean the windows and top up the washer fluid. My ego deflated, my happiness gone, my fingers aching, I sit in a darkened room as I tell my tale of woe.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll pray.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 05:02:06 pm »
Right Samson,

Have you had your hair cut?

:wink: :jumpmove:

I took mine off this week, and it was an absolute C word!  To remove, i grabbed at the top right, and heaved!  Then worked my way to the top left, and bottom right and so on.

I refitted it with silicone spray, so hopefully next time .........................Good luck matey!

:happy2:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 05:42:48 pm »
Well done He-Man  :signLOL: :signLOL:

If you still haven't managed to get it off I'll do it for you when you collect your wheels  :wink:

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 05:45:08 pm »
Top right, pull upwards and towards the front of the car.

Then bottom right

Then bottom left

Then top left.

To be honest, after the top right is done, the rest come off so easily.

Try using a hair dryer and angle it underneath the cover - to heat the rubber grommits so that they enable the cover to come off easier.

Don't be afraid to break the cover, you do have to give it some force.

2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 05:45:46 pm »
Well done He-Man  :signLOL: :signLOL:

If you still haven't managed to get off  I'll do it for you when you collect your wheels  :wink:

Blimey Nath, the things you do for a sale............................

:laugh: :happy2:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 05:46:53 pm »
Top right, pull upwards and towards the front of the car.

Then bottom right

Then bottom left

Then top left.

To be honest, after the top right is done, the rest come off so easily.

Try using a hair dryer and angle it underneath the cover - to heat the rubber grommits so that they enable the cover to come off easier.

Don't be afraid to break the cover, you do have to give it some force.

Mine is bust, before i got it, so I have carried out a GRP repair to the underside.  Does for now.

:happy2:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 10:33:48 pm »
best advice is to try it while the engines warm.
tbh its one of those things you dont know how much force is reqd until you do it once  :happy2:
still an epic fail though  :grin: :evilgrin: :driver: :grouphug:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline jt1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 11:36:59 pm »
That one has to go down in the "Epic Failure Hall of Fame" :signLOL: :signLOL: :rolleye:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 12:42:34 am by jt1 »

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 06:42:35 pm »
Okay so I went out for a drive, partly to find Mr McAvity, partly to warm the engine up.

Managed to pull off the engine cover. After another fifteen minutes, I managed to find the three missing rubber grommets. Had to use a wire coat hanger to reach the one that had fallen onto the flat bit of the engine bay at the bottom.

Was able to loosen the screws too but that clip. That motherfrikkin retaining clip for the air intake. I tried various methods and the most I could shift the intake was about 3mm. There must be a special tool VW use, or maybe a large pair of pliers. But there was no way I could it to shift.

So close and yet so far away. I swear the next opportunity I get (£££ + PCP paid off + insurance), I'm getting a different air intake. No way am I gonna faff around like that again.

Didn't have any silicone grease so rubbed some engine oil on the grommets. Made it very easy when I was trying to replace the lid.

And here's proof:

« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 06:47:17 pm by stealthwolf »

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 06:50:15 pm »
Yeah the intake clip is a b@stard! I used a pair of alligator pliers, because they open wide enough.

2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 07:22:59 pm »
I used a mole wrench for that clip.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 10:44:28 pm »
Noticed in another thread where the DV was and what it looked like. I noticed the same thing under the engine cover but had no idea what it was.

Is there anything else worth recording or noting down when the engine cover is off?

I got the engine spec and build date from the dealers when I went down yesterday.