Make a donation

Author Topic: setting Indicators as Sidelights  (Read 14610 times)

Offline dub singh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 13
  • Snakebite Chasers...
    • Email
setting Indicators as Sidelights
« on: November 24, 2012, 10:39:00 pm »
Is it possible to set the indicators as sidelights on a 2007 FSI MK5 Golf?

Been trying to find a thread posted on here a while ago that showed how it could possibly be done via VAGCOM? Anyone got a link to the thread or better still know how it can be done?

Cheers in advance
If you're having Audio problems i feel bad for ya son... I've got 99 problems but Bass aint one!

Offline GTI-Pirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 27
Re: setting Indicators as Sidelights
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 11:08:33 pm »
This is the process on mine. I hope yours is the same.

Go to;
09-Cent Elec.
Coding - 07
Long Coding Helper
Byte 7: 4) Turn Signal Front left/right as Parking Light Front left/right (USA and Canada)

Set the % brightness that you want your indicators to remain on at. They will flash at full intensity when you indicate.
Don't set it to 100% as I have read that you can melt the bulb housing if you do!

This is 50%, have a play until you are happy with it.

2017 Audi S4

Offline dub singh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 13
  • Snakebite Chasers...
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 10:59:39 am »
 :happy2: Cheers Fella
If you're having Audio problems i feel bad for ya son... I've got 99 problems but Bass aint one!

Offline jonm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 12
    • Staffs-VW
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 12:24:07 pm »
Perfect

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 12:38:53 pm »

Is it possible to set the indicators as sidelights on a 2007 FSI MK5 Golf?

....Bloody Hell! You're serious!

Do you really think it's a good idea to confuse other road users from a road safety point of view? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick? Please tell us why you want to do this  :smiley:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Dannyboy88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 01:49:31 pm »
^^

Golfs and jettas come like that in the USA so can't be deemed that unsafe if there activated by VW, and why is it unsafe when you have them set to glow a dim orange when your sidelights are on its not like they flash.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 02:51:59 pm »
^^

Golfs and jettas come like that in the USA so can't be deemed that unsafe if there activated by VW, and why is it unsafe when you have them set to glow a dim orange when your sidelights are on its not like they flash.

....I didn't know about the setting being legal in the good old U S of A, but my thinking is that the emitted light intensity relative between 'sidelight' setting and flashing as an indicator will be less than between off and indicating. Factor in various ambient and sunlight relative intensities, and it doesn't contribute to a stronger and hence safer signal to other road users.

I changed my rear Mk5 Golf lights to OEM Valeo LED units (like Passats) to make my signalling stronger and therefore safer and not to make a fashion statement.

Dimmer signal light differences and stretch tyres might be fashionable but at what risk to road safety? Looks cool at shows but not wise on the road.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Dannyboy88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 03:26:40 pm »
At the end of the day do what you like to your own car and others will continue to do what they like with there's. If people like stretch let them have it, if people want indicators as running lights then so be it  :love:

My main annoyance is the newer mercs and 4x4's with blinding factory fitted xenons and stupidly bright led dlrs, but there not illegal when they dazzle you from either head on or in the rear view so where does the road safety come into it with them?

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 04:56:17 pm »
^^

Well thank fook we are not in the USA. I would have thought with something as important as turn signals you would want to be as unambiguous as possible.  :stupid:

Offline nathangallo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 08:23:45 pm »
At the end of the day do what you like to your own car and others will continue to do what they like with there's. If people like stretch let them have it, if people want indicators as running lights then so be it  :love:

:happy2:+1

Offline Ubertub

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2023, 09:00:17 am »
Hello all.
I have the opposite issue. MOT station will not pass the car with these American style amber running lights. Does anybody know the code for putting them back to standard?
Thanks.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2023, 11:07:06 am »
09 Central Electronics
Byte 7
Change to 0