Make a donation

Author Topic: Bilstein shock options  (Read 3824 times)

Offline Whitt_tdi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
Bilstein shock options
« on: January 08, 2015, 07:45:19 pm »
Hi all. My cars going for mot on sat and iv got a feeling my shocks are going to get pulled up on it, I think the front left is knocked slightly and the rears where showing slight signs on leaking, the car is on 130k so they have probably seen better days anyway, it's a gt tdi 170 so not going down the coilover route but looking to lower it with the eibach sportlines, iv been looking at shock options and obviously the b12 is the top rated kit but I'm not looking to spend that much money, iv seen the b4 for £240 and then the b6 for £395.
Iv had the b4 on an old mk3 gti before and they where fine I'm just wondering is there any advantages of going for the b6? The cars just a daily driver nothing special. They both say the b4 and b6 will take up to 40mm lower springs, so just wondering what people would recommend . Thanks

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
Re: Bilstein shock options
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 08:07:38 pm »
For daily duties, no real reason to spend the extra on B6's if they are almost the same on paper. That's me personally...

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline Whitt_tdi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 08:23:42 pm »
That's my thought, am I right in saying the b6's are inverted shocks or something and the b4 are the same as oem near enough.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 10:15:48 pm »
For that low, and now even lower, I have B8's. Mounted and ran the B8's with Sportlines, and H&R SuperSports currently.

K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline Whitt_tdi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 07:57:16 am »
I do like how that sits but for me I think it may be too low. I had a cupra r on coilovers before the golf that was really low and it was just a pain in arse everywhere I went with speed bumps. And the h & r's are dearer. I quite like the look of the eibach sportlines. And it's just the decision between b4 or b6. The b8's are more again and just for daily use I don't see the point as I'm never going to track this car.

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 11:08:20 am »
Eibachs are a tried and tested brand, but having run Bilstien myself I'd opt for them. Probably easiest to retain as much OEM as possible apart from the lower ride hide. The B4's seem to fit that bill perfectly.

Anyway, if you decide to change, this forum's a great place to sell stuff for a good price so you can always change your mind without a big money hit.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 05:06:12 pm »
I do like how that sits but for me I think it may be too low. I had a cupra r on coilovers before the golf that was really low and it was just a pain in arse everywhere I went with speed bumps. And the h & r's are dearer. I quite like the look of the eibach sportlines. And it's just the decision between b4 or b6. The b8's are more again and just for daily use I don't see the point as I'm never going to track this car.
Sportlines are very nice and likely the best ride comfort springs.

Sportlines on mine...

K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1