Make a donation

Author Topic: How to: VW OEM Rear View Camera Install  (Read 130058 times)

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: How to: VW OEM Rear View Camera Install
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2010, 10:10:44 pm »
Thanks for the offer, I'll take a look at Shaun's kit which should be here tommorrow and see how it goes from there before I ask any more questions   :happy2:
GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2010, 10:47:10 pm »
Ok got the kit today, just taken a look at the piggy bank fuse holder. Which location does this go into in the fuse box. I take it all I do once I've got the right location is plug in a 5a mini fuse.

Just realised this project is a little easier now I have a pre-made loom boot end that been proved good.  :smiley:

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2010, 10:53:59 pm »
Ok got the kit today, just taken a look at the piggy bank fuse holder. Which location does this go into in the fuse box. I take it all I do once I've got the right location is plug in a 5a mini fuse.

Just realised this project is a little easier now I have a pre-made loom boot end that been proved good.  :smiley:

ask Steve which one he put it in as he installed mine  :happy2:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2010, 10:10:06 am »
It can change depending on the MY and factor fitted options?

Best to get a multi meter to confirm  :happy2:

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2010, 01:04:21 pm »
Thanks for the tip Steve in your reply and PM.

Offline scottg

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2010, 06:26:16 pm »
cool and very trick!

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2010, 11:47:40 am »
Ok I've completed my install and everythings working just as it should  :smiley:

Only points I'd note thats not covered in the install is that be careful when you tidy the new loom up in the hatch as if you cable tie them up too tight you pull the coax cable out of the badge and its a real PIA to but back in so much so that I had to take the badge back off the car (difficult angle).

Also I think Steve said when you remove the C pillar trim be careful not to drop the screw behind as I did despite using a mgnetic screwdriver as I had to take the rear seats out to retrieve it  :laugh:

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2010, 02:48:43 pm »
Glad it's all in ok, it's a pretty nifty gadget isn't it

Ok I've completed my install and everythings working just as it should  :smiley:

Only points I'd note thats not covered in the install is that be careful when you tidy the new loom up in the hatch as if you cable tie them up too tight you pull the coax cable out of the badge and its a real PIA to but back in so much so that I had to take the badge back off the car (difficult angle).

Also I think Steve said when you remove the C pillar trim be careful not to drop the screw behind as I did despite using a mgnetic screwdriver as I had to take the rear seats out to retrieve it  :laugh:

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2010, 04:04:32 pm »
It gets some good comments from passengers, only thing is half the time I forget its there and look out the back window when I don't need to  :stupid:

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2010, 04:30:41 pm »
It gets some good comments from passengers, only thing is half the time I forget its there and look out the back window when I don't need to  :stupid:

Its always good to be cautious i guess  :laugh:

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2010, 06:24:49 pm »
My camera's been in for about 6 week now and I still look at the mirrors and out the back :grin: some times it is best just to have a good glance now and again,

I nearly hit a car in my works car park the other day I was about 2 inch from its front bumper cos I was just looking at the camera :innocent:

Does any one get the camera not activating now and again?  I have to reset the RNS to get it back on?

Darren

Offline golfman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 33
  • If your not first your last!!!
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69645.0.html
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2010, 06:34:28 pm »
My camera's been in for about 6 week now and I still look at the mirrors and out the back :grin: some times it is best just to have a good glance now and again,

I nearly hit a car in my works car park the other day I was about 2 inch from its front bumper cos I was just looking at the camera :innocent:

Does any one get the camera not activating now and again?  I have to reset the RNS to get it back on?

Darren
Darren i get this now and again with the camera not activating,you hear the badge opening but you just get nothing on the screen :surprised:
 i think it just get confused so i take it out(the camera :grin: ) of reverse and wait until the badge closes and then try again :happy2:

scott

Modded The Way I Like It!!!!!!
Vag-com Hex+Can in scotland
I Hate Timewasters...

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2010, 08:11:46 pm »

Darren
Darren i get this now and again with the camera not activating,you hear the badge opening but you just get nothing on the screen :surprised:
 i think it just get confused so i take it out(the camera :grin: ) of reverse and wait until the badge closes and then try again :happy2:

scott

Mine too on the odd occasion, done the above and also a reset. :happy2:
Cheers,

Wayne

cameluk

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2010, 10:18:41 pm »
Works every time for me  :innocent:

But now that I also have a dipping passenger mirror, I've almost hit another car and a wall behind me, just to prove that we can't mutli task

And managed to upset Scott who was after a dipping mirror, when I found that I'd had the correct hardware for a while unactivated  :smiley:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 10:23:01 pm by cameluk »

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2010, 10:21:05 pm »
The one I fitted myself to my mk5 worked every time, but the factory one in mk6 doesn't  :laugh: