Make a donation

Author Topic: Question to Stage 1 K04 owners  (Read 6764 times)

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
Re: Question to Stage 1 K04 owners
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2015, 09:36:03 pm »
You're spot on with the K04 turbo description, I did used to like my K03 as it was quick to spool but I rarely revved beyond 5000RPM as there was nothing there and was a waste of time. It was handy around town and pulling onto quick roads but the K04 CDL engine in my Golf R just wants to keep on going once it's up to speed. I'm growing used to it.

Agree about the boring feel of the 4motion system as well, although hoping a Gen4 Haldex controller shakes things up. I'd like to drive an Impreza or Evo to feel what a proper performance 4 wheel drive system feels like.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 05:27:12 pm »
Good posts lads, thankyou.

Know exactly what you mean about the k03, it's really responsive, but once it's spooled you don't get pinned much harder in your seat as the revs rise. Flat is the wrong word, but you know what I mean.

Don't get me wrong, the R-Tech map on mine has made it a whole lot quicker, but like you say there's not much to be had past 5k. Great for short-shifting though as the torque is there from 2.5k.

One thing that bugs the hell out of me is that I'm far too quick to get used to the power. 200bhp was fun for a while, then felt slow. 242bhp and loads of torque is still fun, but I already want more. When will it end?!

I have issues

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2015, 07:23:02 am »

Know exactly what you mean about the k03, it's really responsive, but once it's spooled you don't get pinned much harder in your seat as the revs rise. Flat is the wrong word, but you know what I mean.

Don't get me wrong, the R-Tech map on mine has made it a whole lot quicker, but like you say there's not much to be had past 5k. Great for short-shifting though as the torque is there from 2.5k.

One thing that bugs the hell out of me is that I'm far too quick to get used to the power. 200bhp was fun for a while, then felt slow. 242bhp and loads of torque is still fun, but I already want more. When will it end?!

I have issues

Stage 2+ feels about enough for the time being, that's what the front tires tell me anyway  :smiley:

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2015, 01:32:47 pm »
My Golf R has 265bhp as standard, I'm already hoping to be around the 340bhp figure come November... It never ends...

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2015, 02:08:13 pm »

I have issues

It will stop when your GF/wife kicks you out the house because you spent all the life savings on the newest turbo kit instead of paying the mortgage. at least you'll be sleeping in the quickest golf!

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2015, 04:30:11 pm »
That's why I don't own a house or a wife. But I don't have the fastest Golf.

My life is empty... Need a turbo!

Offline Gaz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2015, 02:15:18 pm »
Im no longer happy with a car unless its North of 350bhp, thanks to my previous 2+ S3. I found the quattro made it boring so sold it, tried a few cheaper lower powered alternatives with 250ish bhp and they just feel slow! Then bought a Mk6 GTI, very slow standard, not great even at stage 2. Now ive fitted a K04 etc etc and stage 3, itll be 360+bhp, turned it into a weapon and ive got a huge grin on my face again.

Happiness for me is 350bhp upwards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk