Make a donation

Author Topic: Jay's ED30  (Read 5446 times)

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Re: Jay's ED30
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 01:51:56 pm »
If the mechatronics is replaced they'll have to exchange the oil as well, so if done properly it'll get serviced. :smiley:

Offline Jay_87

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2015, 12:20:59 pm »
So I thought i'd update this a bit... After spending the last few months of trying to get the car sorted through the courts and using solicitors to try and get some sort of result on getting the car repaired it all came to nothing.

The owner of the dealership seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth and being a sole trader there is no records of the company with companies house, the long and the short of it is that im now left to fix the car.

So with that now decided and me spending the last week or so trying to decide the best course of action... fix and keep or fix and sell, I've decided to fix and keep. I loved the car for the shot period of time that I actually got to drive it for so it seems stupid to buy another that could have the same or more faults, this way I know the car is sorted and done right.... Just need to free up some drive way space and my axle stands first but sorting my Puma track car out!!

A parts order has gone in and I'm going to be spend the next 4 or 5 weeks getting the car fixed and doing a few little extra jobs along the way. Ive already ordered a few service items;

Engine Oil
Oil Filter
DSG Oil
DSG Filter
O Rings / Sump Bungs / Gearbox Bung
Cabin Filter
Fuel Filter

Also bought my first actual mods for the car as well, rear wiper delete and the Polo aerial. Plenty more parts and pictures to come!

Offline Jay_87

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 12:46:28 pm »
Time for an update....

I actually managed to get a start on the car last weekend. The first job was obviously to get the car somewhere dry and warm where I could work on it, thankfully I have the worlds best father in law and he kindly lent me the use of his garage.

So the car is in, up on axle stands and the strip down could begin.... in the mean time my father in law has borrowed my BBS's wheels while he has his Edition 35 wheels done, somehow he has managed to batter a beautiful set of 19" Glendales!! (will post a picture of them when they've been done)

I've pretty much got a boot and back seat full of parts to fit/change on the car. My thinking is if I do it right now then I know it will be right for years to come... a few little ad-hoc additions to do as well  :wink:

In its new home for the next few weeks.
Untitled by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

I started to tear down the car, whole front end off as the air con rad had a bolt sheered into that I needed to get out so...

And this is how it ended up by the time I was done.

I was genuinely surprised at how easy the car came apart, it took me only a couple of hours to get the front end off..... One observation though, the clips for the wiring harness are a PITA to get apart!!

I also removed all 4 calipers and carriers as the paint was starting to look a bit tired, there all currently sat in a box under my desk and i'l given them a full strip down a rebuild over the next few days.

After spending 2 and half days at the NEC the other weekend at the Autosport International show I managed to get chatting with the Bilsteins guys and they sorted me out a really good deal on a full set of B8 dampers.

This weekends job is to get the mechatronic unit out the gearbox and get that sent away for repair... which me luck!