Make a donation

Author Topic: Cleaning my not so shiney tail pipes  (Read 5938 times)

Offline SteveP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
Cleaning my not so shiney tail pipes
« on: December 20, 2008, 09:26:32 pm »
Ok with the recent mod of the (of the now already not) very shiney Milltek I wondered what was the best way to clean and if required protect the finish of the tail pipes?

Thanks,

Steve  :happy2:

Phil Mcavity

Re: Cleaning my not so shiney tail pipes
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 09:34:47 pm »
ive bought a tube of Autoglym Metal polish already for that very job Steve. That should be the best stuff to keep our pipes uber shiny :smiley:

Offline CocoPops

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 11
    • Kennet Heath
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 09:41:06 pm »
You can try it out on my black Miltek Steve!
Used to Own: 2008 GTI Ed30 | ITG Intake | Miltek TBE System | Bluefin Stage 2 | 327bhp
On Order: 2017 Golf GTI Performance Pack 5dr DSG
Also own: 2016 Lotus Evora 400

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 09:47:31 pm »
lol filthy black like it was the other week, could of swarn yours is the same colour as redrobins Lee, or does yours magically turn silver when you add WATER!  :happy2:  :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 09:50:20 pm by Phil Mcavity »

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 10:47:42 pm »
This is what I do. Not brilliant but pretty good. Then again I have only a stock ED30 exhaust.

1. Spray degreaser >clicky<. Stuff I got foams Spray around the outside and the outermost of the inside. Leave for a while.
2. Repeat.
3. Scrub with a suitable brush >clicky<. The one I use is perfect as it allows me to clean the inside of the exhaust and in between the two pipes.
4. Degreaser, leave, degreaser, scrub. Repeat this four or five times.
5. Wipre excess away with a clean cloth. I find WD40 >clicky< helps.
6. Start the engine. A few revs will clear out any crap that you dislodged from the inside of the exhaust. Wipe away any crap. Make sure there's nothing behind the exhaust. My garage door now has some black droplets. I haven't bothered to clean them off yet.
7. Using your fingers, spread some Autosol Polish>clicky< around the chrome bit of the exhaust.
8. Scrub using wirewool clicky. This is like Brillo pad without the soap. This is the most tedious bit but the reward is greater the longer you spend at this stage. I get bored after about five minutes of scrubbing, plus my knees start to hurt at this point. I apply the polish twice but I try and scrub as much as I can.
9. Step down to using a scour pad. I use the green side of a washing-up sponge for this bit. Scrub some more.
10. Finish off by buffing with a nice, soft microfibre cloth. Your exhaust should be nice and shiny. Your knees may hurt, so it's worth investing in some kinda matt. The more often you clean the exhaust, the easier it is.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 10:49:50 pm by stealthwolf »

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 07:06:07 am »
^^^^^^^^^^^^holy molly, those pipes will look cleaner the picture of the Tubular Bells!!.

Offline dubsport

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 07:41:05 pm »
Having used quick a few different metal polishes throughout the marine industry the best i have found is:

Peek Metal Polish
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=peek+metal+polish&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Once the tail pipes are cleaned coat with Baby Oil, yes i did say baby oil - this gives it a protective coating against the salt etc, good idea to coat the exhaust with this after each wash at this time of year  :happy2:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 07:22:38 pm »
This is what I do. Not brilliant but pretty good. Then again I have only a stock ED30 exhaust.

1. Spray degreaser >clicky<. Stuff I got foams Spray around the outside and the outermost of the inside. Leave for a while.
2. Repeat.
3. Scrub with a suitable brush >clicky<. The one I use is perfect as it allows me to clean the inside of the exhaust and in between the two pipes.
4. Degreaser, leave, degreaser, scrub. Repeat this four or five times.
5. Wipre excess away with a clean cloth. I find WD40 >clicky< helps.
6. Start the engine. A few revs will clear out any crap that you dislodged from the inside of the exhaust. Wipe away any crap. Make sure there's nothing behind the exhaust. My garage door now has some black droplets. I haven't bothered to clean them off yet.
7. Using your fingers, spread some Autosol Polish>clicky< around the chrome bit of the exhaust.
8. Scrub using wirewool clicky. This is like Brillo pad without the soap. This is the most tedious bit but the reward is greater the longer you spend at this stage. I get bored after about five minutes of scrubbing, plus my knees start to hurt at this point. I apply the polish twice but I try and scrub as much as I can.
9. Step down to using a scour pad. I use the green side of a washing-up sponge for this bit. Scrub some more.
10. Finish off by buffing with a nice, soft microfibre cloth. Your exhaust should be nice and shiny. Your knees may hurt, so it's worth investing in some kinda matt. The more often you clean the exhaust, the easier it is.

im sure that would get them very clean, but it would scratch them to hell to right?
it would certainly take off the "milltek" from the top of the pipes!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 08:07:59 pm »
This is on stock ED30 pipes. I imagine on brand new millys, you can skip the scrubbing with a brush/wirewool and maybe the scour pad, and stick to using microfibre cloths instead.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.