Make a donation

Author Topic: Finally booked the stage 1  (Read 8020 times)

Offline matty-boy

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Finally booked the stage 1
« on: September 21, 2015, 11:05:59 pm »
Evening all!

Well I've had my 2006 Mk5 GTI (BWA, K03, DSG) for almost 4 years now and been toying with the idea of remapping it pretty much since I bought it! Finally took the plunge and got it booked into R-Tech for a stage 1 custom remap on 1st October.

It was completely stock so I've just had the pre-cat removed, Pipercross panel filter fitted and HPFP cam follower replaced. Going to get a service done by VW including 5W40 Millers Nanodrive oil and it should be ready to roll. Will get the DV replaced with a rev G and PCV replaced with a rev R while it's with the guys.

The drive back down the A46 from Hinckley to Cheltenham should be fun fun fun! You could say I'm a little bit excited!  :laugh:  :party:

I'll post the results when it's done.

I have a horrible feeling this could get addictive... I've already been looking at Loba HPFPs and Powervalve TBEs!!!

Cheers!
Matt.

Offline matty-boy

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Finally booked the stage 1
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 08:40:17 pm »
So last week I fitted the Pipercross panel filter, had the pre-cat removed and HPFP cam follower replaced and got a service done by VW with Millers Nanodrive 5W40 from OpieOils (great price!).

Today was the day I headed up to Hinckley for the stage 1 and Holy McBuggery I'm impressed! They spent best part of 2 hours working on the car. Full health check to start. DV replaced with a rev G then a rolling road test to get the pre-map figures: 206 bhp and 218 lb/ft torque. Niki started off by applying a base map and then doing some serious tweaking and more rolling road tests to get the best out of the car. Final figures: 249 bhp and 321 lb/ft of torque.... thats a 25% increase in power and 50% torque! Wowsers! I certainly felt it on the drive home!!

If you have a stock GTI and are toying with the idea of getting a stage 1 done DO IT! I waited almost 4 years. Wish I did it on day 1 !! Transforms the car  :smiley:

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 08:43:14 pm »
Nice! Did you get the dsg mapped also?

Offline Ruggy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 10:24:58 pm »
Have you also uprated your clutch or just hoping your standard one holds out?

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 07:53:45 am »
Saw this on Niki's Facebook, huge area under the curve, bet you're happy. Totally transofrms the car doesn't it, you soon realise how dull and flat the car was, especially at lower rpms.

Clutch will start to slip at some point as its probably never been replaced if manual. Personally at that stage of tune i'd stick a standard one back in it. I'm still on a standard clutch at the moment, replaced it last year, and its handled the last 6k of hard miles at Stage 2+
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline matty-boy

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 02:11:53 pm »
@Beej - No. I did ask their opinion but they said at stage 1 there's little point.
@Ruggy - I'm running DSG so not necessary (at least, I think that's the case).
@Dan_FR - Yeah the curves look real nice don't they. I'm WELL happy! You're absolutely right about the transformation, I can't believe the difference it made! I'm guessing I don't need to worry too much about the clutch on a DSG setup?

I'd love to take the motor on a track but I'm concerned about the brakes. What do people tend to upgrade to that won't brake the bank (see what I did there?  :wink:)? Ideally i want something that's OK when driven on the road by the wife on a cold day and good when I'm ragging it round Castle Combe generating heat galore!

Any advice is very much appreciated!

Cheers,
Matt.

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 02:15:07 pm »
@matty-boy good result. I was mainly asking as I am still in dispute over my car 'needing' a dsg map as it is limiting my torque. I am on stage 2+ revo with much lower torque figures than you!

Offline white91

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 02:42:41 pm »
This post has made my decision much easier to get a remap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline matty-boy

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 02:49:52 pm »
I am on stage 2+ revo with much lower torque figures than you!

That's doesn't sound right for stage 2+

Did you use 'known good' hardware upgrades and get a custom tune from revo? I've heard stories of peeps getting their local machine shop to make a 'custom' decat downpipe which actually doesn't breath as well as the stock DP and cat!

I don't want to start an argument about one tuner being better than another but have you considered taking yours to R-Tech? I'm no expert on these things but if you've got stage 2+ hardware with a map to take advantage of this but you're getting less torque than my stage 1 on oem exhaust (pre-cat removed) there is something wrong somewhere?

I believe my DSG is running the stock map (Niki at R-Tech did not say he'd tweaked it) so I doubt it's your DSG box limiting the torque??

I'm sure somebody who knows more that me (pretty much everyone on this forum) will have some ideas......?

Offline matty-boy

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 02:51:12 pm »
This post has made my decision much easier to get a remap!

DO IT! You won't regret it! I just wish I got mine remapped the day after I bought the car!  :smiley:

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 02:59:38 pm »
I am on stage 2+ revo with much lower torque figures than you!

That's doesn't sound right for stage 2+

Did you use 'known good' hardware upgrades and get a custom tune from revo? I've heard stories of peeps getting their local machine shop to make a 'custom' decat downpipe which actually doesn't breath as well as the stock DP and cat!

I don't want to start an argument about one tuner being better than another but have you considered taking yours to R-Tech? I'm no expert on these things but if you've got stage 2+ hardware with a map to take advantage of this but you're getting less torque than my stage 1 on oem exhaust (pre-cat removed) there is something wrong somewhere?

I believe my DSG is running the stock map (Niki at R-Tech did not say he'd tweaked it) so I doubt it's your DSG box limiting the torque??

I'm sure somebody who knows more that me (pretty much everyone on this forum) will have some ideas......?
My revo dealer is meant to be best around, people travel from down south to him. I am based in Scotland or else I wouldn't have hesitated about going r-tech.

I am running a full bcs turbo back powervalve system with 200 cell cat, autotec hpfp internals, revo intake, airtec intercooler ngk iridium plugs, reg g dv, new pcv and always v power or momentum 99!

I'm pretty confident it's not dsg, but the dealer and revo UK are claiming it might be and that's needs mapped first to check

Offline matty-boy

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 03:21:45 pm »
Very strange mate. What figures are you getting?

Here is what R-Tech says you should get from each level of tune:-
Stage 1 custom remap             230-250 hp        290-310 lbft
Stage 1+ custom remap           255-260 hp        335-350 lbft
Stage 2  custom remap            265-275 hp        315-330 lbft
Stage 2+ custom remap           275-290 hp        355-360 lbft
Stage 3  custom remap            330-350 hp        350-370 lbft

(http://r-techperformance.co.uk/vw-golf-mk5-gti-tfsi-200-remap)

Offline jedi-knight83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 04:32:19 pm »
Nice results.

Ive got a cat back exhaust and also pre cat delete on mine but otherwise stage 1 as well with OEM air filter.

Really rate R-Tech. They sorted my car out after a very dodgy map by motec performance!
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 05:49:58 pm »
Very strange mate. What figures are you getting?

Here is what R-Tech says you should get from each level of tune:-
Stage 1 custom remap             230-250 hp        290-310 lbft
Stage 1+ custom remap           255-260 hp        335-350 lbft
Stage 2  custom remap            265-275 hp        315-330 lbft
Stage 2+ custom remap           275-290 hp        355-360 lbft
Stage 3  custom remap            330-350 hp        350-370 lbft

(http://r-techperformance.co.uk/vw-golf-mk5-gti-tfsi-200-remap)
Yeah I know. I know revo is really a generic map with limited adjustments rather than a full custom setup, but 272bhp and 288ftlbs is off the mark if you ask me. Not so much on the bhp side, but the torque side I feel is. This run was done before the intercooler too. It ran 222bhp and 235ftlbs before the map with the hardware in place