Make a donation

Author Topic: Suspension Set Ups  (Read 9305 times)

Offline jayha11

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,97064.0.html
Suspension Set Ups
« on: November 23, 2015, 11:19:41 am »
Hi all

I am looking to change the stock suspension and have various ideas ranging from H&R springs right up to a full coilover kit.

It would be great if you guys could throw up some images of your cars stance and the set-up used and any opinions you may have from experiences of certain manufacturers. I have 3 factors behind my considerations - cost, handling and ride quality.

Cheers

Mk5 GTI > S3 8P > Cupra 300 > Cupra 290 > Mk5 R32

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Suspension Set Ups
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 11:44:01 am »
This is mine on H&R springs

It looks a bit high in this photo for some reason - sits nicely though. No problems, rides just like stock, and feels more composed in the corners. Very good for the lower end of the budget, obviously things get more expensive with coilovers, but you can't do much better than H&R if you decide to just get springs.

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 12:00:55 pm »
Ive had coilovers on the majority of my cars but I think this time round im going to get either Eibach or H&R springs.

Coilovers are good but need adjusting to a good ride height. Also you have to worry about speed humps and multi-storey car parks etc.

the car in the pic above looks spot on to me

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 02:05:24 pm »
Ive had coilovers on the majority of my cars but I think this time round im going to get either Eibach or H&R springs.

Coilovers are good but need adjusting to a good ride height. Also you have to worry about speed humps and multi-storey car parks etc.

the car in the pic above looks spot on to me
Yep, I'm happy with them. From experience I know it's a bit of a punt with springs as you can often end up with a stance that's not quite right, subjectively, and of course you can't adjust their height. But these are pretty damn spot on in terms of rake and arch gap.

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 02:16:19 pm »
Does anybody know how the spring perform on track?

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 02:49:47 pm »
I've had Eibach Sportlines with OEM dampers and I didn't like it because it was too harsh. Changed to H&R springs and Koni Sport dampers and the ride is much better and much more composed all around. It can take a small bump much nicely than before and it's great around corners with the help of the H&R sway bars and the SALK as well.

Offline LVS Racing

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 10:34:20 am »
Personally Eibachs FTW..

I had sportlines on my GTI and it rode perfect and even did some track work.. I now have my blk GTI (K04) and gone whole hog inc B16s Eibach ARBS, Antilift kit, Quaife :)

Pat @ LVSR

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 11:58:14 am »
Personally Eibachs FTW..

I had sportlines on my GTI and it rode perfect and even did some track work.. I now have my blk GTI (K04) and gone whole hog inc B16s Eibach ARBS, Antilift kit, Quaife :)

Pat @ LVSR
I really struggle to understand people saying that Eibach Sportlines with OEM dampers ride perfect... Compared to what? Compared to your current coilovers B16? I highly doubt it. I think those springs need a shorter sport damper to really work how they should, like the Bilstein B8, for example.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 11:26:38 am »

It looks a bit high in this photo for some reason -

Looks perfect to me.  Love a uniform arch gap like that. 

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 02:59:04 pm »
Personally Eibachs FTW..

Pat @ LVSR
I really struggle to understand people saying that Eibach Sportlines with OEM dampers ride perfect... Compared to what? Compared to your current coilovers B16? I highly doubt it. I think those springs need a shorter sport damper to really work how they should, like the Bilstein B8, for example.

B12 kit is prepared this way. Matched dampers (B8) and springs.

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 03:01:26 pm »
Hi all

I am looking to change the stock suspension and have various ideas ranging from H&R springs right up to a full coilover kit.

It would be great if you guys could throw up some images of your cars stance and the set-up used and any opinions you may have from experiences of certain manufacturers. I have 3 factors behind my considerations - cost, handling and ride quality.

Cheers
Aside from your considerations what are your objectives/priorities in doing this? What do you want from this change?
Looks?
Handling?
Track capable?

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 03:08:00 pm »
Personally Eibachs FTW..

Pat @ LVSR

B12 kit is prepared this way. Matched dampers (B8) and springs.
Yeah, much better handling with well setup parts. :happy2:

Offline kr15h_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 05:13:42 pm »
i went for h&r springs on stock dampers then changed to h&r springs with bilstein b8s, h&r roll bars and salk... and what a difference.  :driver:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 05:20:37 pm »
Hi all

Cheers
Aside from your considerations what are your objectives/priorities in doing this? What do you want from this change?
Looks?
Handling?
Track capable?

What he said ^^^^ pretty much any coilovers can be set at any height so that shouldn't ever come into you choosing a set unless you specifically want it to be very ver low.

What's your budget?

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 05:43:48 pm »
i went for h&r springs on stock dampers then changed to h&r springs with bilstein b8s, h&r roll bars and salk... and what a difference.  :driver:
You have a setup almost equal to mine, I just went for Koni Sport dampers because they were cheaper, my mechanic knows how to set them well and Koni sells kits with H&R springs. What a difference from Eibach Sportlines and OEM dampers! :happy2: