Make a donation

Author Topic: Whose kept their oem air intake?  (Read 25526 times)

Offline shoaybmakda

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
Re: Whose kept their oem air intake?
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2015, 04:00:23 pm »
Should have done some proper research! Well I'm fitting it today hopefully so worst case if I don't get on with it can always sell it on and go back to stock.. Slipper my slope indeed! :signLOL:

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2015, 11:06:13 pm »
Scotty, that sounds good but I want to replace the pipe from turbo to maf. Have you kept the plastic pipe? What filter have you used and any noise difference?

Nah I kept that standard mate.  I have a K&N panel, but makes no difference...
I had a Carbonaro (Spelling?) does nothing, but didn't expect it to really, sold it.
Had a Neuspeed Pipe on a stick, lots of noise and extra breathing top end, sold it :)
Had a Volant CAI for a while too, was ok, not so much noise and looked very OEM, but again didn't have as much low down torque as the standard crap box (I call it that, because I hate the design, with all those bloody bungs that split on you), here's the Volant:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2015, 04:24:41 pm »
After fitting a pipe and filter I'm very much doubting them now unless the cars had a very minimal stage 1 which I'm not contemplating at the moment. I can't understand why they are selling these DV'z if they cause problems as the big tuners sell them and don't mention anything regards losing power  :confused: Not saying you don't know but I'm just shocked at this. My tt had mods Badger5 v3 tip, Cone filter FMIC relentless down pipe de cat cat back milltek de baffled charge pipe and no issues with power before a re map in fact a little bit throatier and after the remap it was very quick.

Gains on a stock map are minimal, often find you lose some low down torque and gain a small amount of top end HP. Only really worthwhile when remapped at a minimum. There are also good designs/intakes and bad ones, and the MAF housing size & diameter along with the MAF calibration in the software are critical for optimising performance and need to be matched.

Revo software for instance (and this is from experience) - When upgrading to Stage 2 software, I used the original MAF housing cut from the airbox, and as a result saw poor response/performance, high fuel trims (+15%!) and low MAF readings. Swapping to an aftermarket intake and MAF housing (same MAF housing diameter and sensor placement as the Revo intake) saw the car run much better. Even swapping from my current MAF pipe to that of another manufacturer (the Ramair kit which positions the sensor slightly differently) results in a big drop in performance. This is due to the MAF calibration being matched to their intake.

Why do 'big tuners'/companies do anything? To turn a profit. There is a gap in the market for people wanting the dump valve noise and they fill it, make it sound as good as possible to maximise sales and profit. Since when is any company 100% truthful about how good a product is? How often do you see those electric fans that go in your intake claim an extra 25hp? Or those fuel magnetiser things that go over the fuel pipe and claim to increase performance and fuel economy?

The difference with your TT is that you used the original MAF and MAF housing, so you'll see nothing but gains by removing restriction with the filter and TIP, the MAF reading and scaling would still be 100% correct
Thanks for the explanation Dan, I was also thinking maybe if I fitted a mesh in before the MAF might help as it's restricting the full flow like the oem one and help me with my woes?.
I did think about thr tt having the oem maf housing and yes everything else is a bonus for the tt 225  :drool:

Thanks

M

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2015, 04:31:04 pm »
I'm selling my neuspeed P-flow pipe and Ramair filter as my DSG isn't happy with it not driving properly.
Going to buy the above replacement panel filter instead. don't want the noise as I'm going to make noise from the forge DV i have lol

M
Why didn't it drive well?

Writen with my fingers
Basically what happens with this Neuspeed is I get lots of air sucking in with high revving but cars not going anywhere like a manual car clutch slipping???

Put the oem ugly box back on and """wham""" cars like a rocket again.

Love the sound but dislike what it's doing to my car's performance and swollowing all my fuel up too.
Standard map so maybe that's the problem here. can't say for sure but I'm going to sell the Neuspeed P-flow with the huge Ramair filter and juat stick the ugly box back on.

M
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:34:20 pm by r5gtt »

Offline white91

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2015, 04:43:06 pm »
Basically VW spend a lot of money developing an air box, then some bloke buys some pipes and builds one in his shed, there's the difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2015, 05:33:23 pm »
Audi spent a lot of money developing an airbox but look what happens when you replace it with a 3 inch Badger tip and cone filter  :jumping: :jumpmove:

VW are just a rip off as they even cheated the world with the emissions hahaha

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 41
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2015, 09:37:34 pm »
Should have done some proper research! Well I'm fitting it today hopefully so worst case if I don't get on with it can always sell it on and go back to stock.. Slipper my slope indeed! :signLOL:

Has this been fitted Shoayb? How did it go? Post a video/pics if you can. Or better still drive down to Nottingham, have some shisha, then let's go for a blast!

If you decide to sell, let me know, may be interested. Although I am unsure at the moment. Will have to see it in the flesh and listen to it before making a decision.
Previous motors (in order of succession since 1994):-

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
VW Corrado G60 Supercharged
Volvo C70 2.0 Turbo Convertible
Audi TT MK1 1.8T quattro (225)
Mercedes CLS 320 V6
Audi TT MK1 3.2 V6 Quattro
Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Quattro
VW Golf MK5 GTi 2.0 Turbo

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2015, 11:18:35 am »
@rashg60 sounds like a plan we will have to arrange a mini meet  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2015, 04:56:22 pm »
I am stage 2+ on my eddy with standard air box and vwr panel filter. I can't quantify how much the panel filter adds or doesn't but the car drives prefectly and makes perfect stage 2+ power. I tried a induction and hated the noise.

Same.  You won't get a better compromise than the factory solution.  The amount of money car makers spend on NVH and flow optimisation is scary.  Designing a bit of drain pipe with a filter on the end really doesn't take much skill at all, but if folk aren't bothered by every day refinement, then a 3-5% gain right at the top end can be expected, but it will probably blunt the bottom end a bit.

What I dislike the most about after market filters is cotton gauze.  It sucks as a filter.  I know it's been an internet debate for decades, but unpleat a standard filter and lay it out on a table.  Do the same to a K&N and there's no denying the physics - surface area 101.  One will need changing at 20,000 miles.  The other will need cleaning in a 3rd of that mileage, but if folk don't mind a bit of extra maintenance, again, the reward is a very slight gain up top.

I'd always start with the exhaust first on a turbo engine because the turbo itself is the restriction, not the air filter.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2015, 02:37:31 pm »
It's never going to be as simple as a bit of drain pipe and a filter. As you say VW spend a fortune of tuning the intake system as a whole. It's all matched together, I am sure the intake length, manifold design, Intake runner etc etc is all optimised for  the airbox. I tried a induction kit and it ruined the low down torque and general low speed drive ability.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 03:34:27 pm by Madone »

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2015, 03:10:54 pm »
I've decided to keep my factory airbox even though I fitted enough parts for a Stage 2+ tune. I'll share the results when I get the tune done. :smiley:

So far the car has done 269 BHP with stock map on a MAHA bench (1,2 bar peak and 0,7 bar stable). It's very linear, the way I like it to be.

I'm not aiming for high numbers, just want an improved power delivery and good drive ability. :smiley:

Offline Vwgtiking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2015, 07:34:59 am »
The problem I don't like about oem is the pipe from turbo to maf. It doesn't feel tight or secure enough. If there something to replace it let me know.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2015, 10:23:57 am »
The problem I don't like about oem is the pipe from turbo to maf. It doesn't feel tight or secure enough. If there something to replace it let me know.
My mechanic doesn't like much the factory airbox but I don't remember him complaining about that bit. He's picky with the way parts are made. Are you sure you need to worry about it?

An airbox like TSI engines have would have been better, I think. :confused:

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2015, 10:53:32 am »
I got a 2.0 TSI. would my airbox fit a mk5 gti. just out of curiousity?

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2015, 11:36:58 am »

It should be tight and have a large rubber o-ring on it, are you missing the o-ring. It's a tight fit in mine and held in with two clamps