Make a donation

Author Topic: Whose kept their oem air intake?  (Read 25529 times)

Offline Vwgtiking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
Whose kept their oem air intake?
« on: December 07, 2015, 06:13:11 pm »
I recently installed the k04 ramair intake kit and not keen on the whoosh as it comes in too loud to early for me, so it will for sale soon.
Therefore I wanna put the standard air box back but before I do I want to check a couple of things.

1.  Is there a silicone option that joins between the turbo and maf. Looks as though it's just a right angle but don't know the correct I/d or length I require. Any help would be nice.

2.  The oem snorkel I have is really bad is there an aftermarket alternative just for the snorkel?

Offline Vwgtiking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 07:08:45 pm »
Also which panel filter for a little extra grunt?

Offline PhilNUK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Re: Whose kept their oem air intake?
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 08:16:28 pm »
I am looking at getting the ramair kit for my Edition 30... Am interested to know the issues with the noise.  Is it overly loud?

Offline K9

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 14
  • VW LifeStyle
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 09:28:27 pm »
i'm starting of with getting a drop-in filter like K&N and if i need sound i will buy a CAI

Offline Vwgtiking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 09:42:48 pm »

I am looking at getting the ramair kit for my Edition 30... Am interested to know the issues with the noise.  Is it overly loud?

It kicks in around 2k rpm I expected it to be more of 4k. So it's quite loud as you move off. Which is not what I wanted.

Offline Vwgtiking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 09:43:37 pm »

i'm starting of with getting a drop-in filter like K&N and if i need sound i will buy a CAI

I've been googling and may redirect the cold air feed for the std airbox.

Offline K9

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 14
  • VW LifeStyle
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 09:50:22 pm »

I've been googling and may redirect the cold air feed for the std airbox.
this is the one i will be buying http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252065393791?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 11:34:16 pm »
I'm selling my neuspeed P-flow pipe and Ramair filter as my DSG isn't happy with it not driving properly.
Going to buy the above replacement panel filter instead. don't want the noise as I'm going to make noise from the forge DV i have lol

M

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 07:43:11 am »
Wasting your time with a panel filter and fiddling with the air feed guys, been there and tried it. Also, adding any kind of vent to atmosphere DV will just make your car slower

If you want noise then get a decent intake, plenty to choose from. If you want performance, with less noise, then get an enclosed intake.

TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 07:56:20 am »
I am stage 2+ on my eddy with standard air box and vwr panel filter. I can't quantify how much the panel filter adds or doesn't but the car drives prefectly and makes perfect stage 2+ power. I tried a induction and hated the noise. 

Offline Vwgtiking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 04:26:29 pm »
So, oem is not very good? I thought it would be fine? And should go for an enclosed filter. What options are there for enclosed sub £200.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 05:09:20 pm »
So, oem is not very good? I thought it would be fine? And should go for an enclosed filter. What options are there for enclosed sub £200.
OEM is good. You'll really benefit from a cone filter when you're trying to improve flow, ie maxing out the turbo at Stage 2/2+ levels of tune.

But for standard boost or Stage 1, opinion is pretty divided. A few people report losing low down torque and responsiveness with a cone setup, which is a trade-off for the extra flow and therefore power you'll gain at higher revs.

I've read plenty of accounts of people going back to the standard airbox setup at Stage 2/2+ power and actually finding it nicer to drive, perhaps at the expense of a few peak horses (pub talk figures), but if it's nicer to drive that's surely a better objective.

What car is yours - K03? Remapped?

What are your long term plans for tuning, and how do you want the car to actually drive?

Offline Vwgtiking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 06:09:42 pm »
I have k03 just stage 1 remap. Not sure on plans really. Just wanted a nice grunt will better flow. Or the if there is a whoosh then only come in at 4k or something so it's not noisy for town driving.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 06:59:50 pm »
I have k03 just stage 1 remap. Not sure on plans really. Just wanted a nice grunt will better flow. Or the if there is a whoosh then only come in at 4k or something so it's not noisy for town driving.
You thought about going Stage 2 with a good downpipe and sports cat/decat instead?

There's more to gain flow wise getting gas out than air in on these engines. It'll sound good, and if anything help the turbo spool a bit quicker rather than just pushing the torque curve up the revs like an intake would.

Someone in another thread went from 247bhp to 273bhp and 290 odd lb/ft to over 340 lb/ft, that's with a full Powervalve exhaust and map tweak to Stage 2 at R-Tech. And that was with a K&N panel in the standard airbox incidentally.

Yes it's a more expensive option, but maybe it'd suit what you're after more than an intake.

Offline Vwgtiking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 09:08:22 pm »
Yes it's something to consider. Have been looking at k04s to.