Make a donation

Author Topic: Best options for fitting iPod connection?  (Read 1657 times)

Offline Bane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
  • "I was born a handsome man and now I'm half a goat
Best options for fitting iPod connection?
« on: January 06, 2010, 11:16:24 pm »
I have the original in dash 6CD changer in my GTI,but I want to rig up something so that I can use my iPod Touch.I had this in my last car using the Connects2 unit and bypassed the boot changer.I was happy with this set up but I didnt have a cradle or charging capabilities.
I read various things about upgrading the in dash unit to a more iPod freindly version but I'm confused as to which one I have and what I need to upgrade to.
I've also thought about getting the connection kit from the VW dealer,but I've seen thier prices on the VW website..... :scared:
So,in your enlightened experiences,what's the best and reasonably easiest solution?

cameluk

Re: Best options for fitting iPod connection?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 10:12:10 pm »
For the best control get the RNS510 Navi or the RCD510 and the VW MDI interface, it gives you full control over your ipod and displays everything on the screen

For older VW headunits all the VW kits are very poor and don't give you much info or control

Offline Bane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
  • "I was born a handsome man and now I'm half a goat
Re: Best options for fitting iPod connection?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 11:06:44 pm »
For the best control get the RNS510 Navi or the RCD510 and the VW MDI interface, it gives you full control over your ipod and displays everything on the screen

For older VW headunits all the VW kits are very poor and don't give you much info or control

The RCD510 sounds like a fun bit of kit.I'm a bit of a gadget head so the more functions and buttons to play with suits me fine.
Other than VW,where can I get one,whats the VW MDI do and how easy are they to fit?
Soz for all the q's,but I'm more used to pulling the headunits out of MK2's and before I do it on this car,I want to gather as much details as possible! :ashamed: