Make a donation

Author Topic: R5GTT'S Cars rapid  (Read 241616 times)

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: R5GTT'S Soon to be K04'd beast
« Reply #630 on: December 02, 2016, 03:32:17 pm »
NEW DEPO XENONS ARRIVED IN 3 DAYS FROM GERMANY  :grin:

What sort of total cost are you looking at with HIDs mate? I'm umming and ahhing between these and oem xenons; not too sure which path to take. And am I right in saying you can get Depos with black innards (like standard GTI lights) whereas oem xenons are 'plain'?
Ive just paid £200 for the lights them selves where as my last set I bough used for £100 and the hid kit cost me £20 but I'd recommend a decent set on his lights as the cheaper ones seem to fade in power output real quick!. I wanted oem but was let down a few times so thought F you all and bought this set as it's way cheaper to go depo and yes they have black inners where as the oem are chrome  :sick: I'm actually happy I bought these again as I had no complaints with the previous set I have on the car apart from one is now broken due to the non fault I had.  :happy2: so I'd recommend these after market ones to you and I'm surprised you've not done this ages ago  :surprised:
Cheers for the info. Yeah it's always been firmly on the list, I've just prioritised other stuff up to now. The next few mods will be cosmetic stuff like this and hopefully a decent headunit etc. Then I'm going to take a gamble on coilovers and ARBs (I don't want to ruin the ride) along with an anti-lift kit... basically as much as I can do to help in getting the power to the road, before I turn my attention to the turbo.

I'll probably need a bit of advice regarding HIDs etc when I get round to it...!
I totally understand where you're coming from as you've had a few niggles along the way and after your map session. Hopefully all sorted now?. I've just gone crazy since I got that 4K buying all sorts of mods and sods but never have the time or weather to fit them on. Luckily the rack is fitted and cars driving straight without any knocking so happy at that. I've accumulated a hundred and one pieces as you can see to from my thread and now just got to fit them all on. once that's done I've got the the suspension/lowering all done with the Super pro ALK, front end replaced with new used parts and ready for the paint shop. :thinking: I'm in two minds with fitting the K04 at this point in time because of the cold weather and may not have a garage to use  :sad1: will see what happens but I don't think it will be anytime this year.

If I can help out then by all means give me a shout  :smiley:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #631 on: December 02, 2016, 03:41:00 pm »

What sort of total cost are you looking at with HIDs mate? I'm umming and ahhing between these and oem xenons; not too sure which path to take. And am I right in saying you can get Depos with black innards (like standard GTI lights) whereas oem xenons are 'plain'?
Ive just paid £200 for the lights them selves where as my last set I bough used for £100 and the hid kit cost me £20 but I'd recommend a decent set on his lights as the cheaper ones seem to fade in power output real quick!. I wanted oem but was let down a few times so thought F you all and bought this set as it's way cheaper to go depo and yes they have black inners where as the oem are chrome  :sick: I'm actually happy I bought these again as I had no complaints with the previous set I have on the car apart from one is now broken due to the non fault I had.  :happy2: so I'd recommend these after market ones to you and I'm surprised you've not done this ages ago  :surprised:
Cheers for the info. Yeah it's always been firmly on the list, I've just prioritised other stuff up to now. The next few mods will be cosmetic stuff like this and hopefully a decent headunit etc. Then I'm going to take a gamble on coilovers and ARBs (I don't want to ruin the ride) along with an anti-lift kit... basically as much as I can do to help in getting the power to the road, before I turn my attention to the turbo.

I'll probably need a bit of advice regarding HIDs etc when I get round to it...!
I totally understand where you're coming from as you've had a few niggles along the way and after your map session. Hopefully all sorted now?. I've just gone crazy since I got that 4K buying all sorts of mods and sods but never have the time or weather to fit them on. Luckily the rack is fitted and cars driving straight without any knocking so happy at that. I've accumulated a hundred and one pieces as you can see to from my thread and now just got to fit them all on. once that's done I've got the the suspension/lowering all done with the Super pro ALK, front end replaced with new used parts and ready for the paint shop. :thinking: I'm in two minds with fitting the K04 at this point in time because of the cold weather and may not have a garage to use  :sad1: will see what happens but I don't think it will be anytime this year.

Yeah it seems to be running well now thanks, just that very rare blip that I mentioned (going from 3rd to 4th at full beans). I think I would have been a bit further on with it all had I not run into those problems, but it hasn't deterred me!

You have got a nice stockpile of tasty mods built up. It'll be a genuinely sorted GTI once it's all up and running. I personally wouldn't plan anything with your k04 until you're at the point where everything else is in place to handle the power and you've run the car for a little while - this way you can allow for any little issues associated with the mods to crop up and be sorted and you'll have total confidence that the car is ready for the extra power.

And thanks, I'm sure I'll give you a shout to answer some questions

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #632 on: December 02, 2016, 04:29:43 pm »

Yeah it seems to be running well now thanks, just that very rare blip that I mentioned (going from 3rd to 4th at full beans). I think I would have been a bit further on with it all had I not run into those problems, but it hasn't deterred me!

You have got a nice stockpile of tasty mods built up. It'll be a genuinely sorted GTI once it's all up and running. I personally wouldn't plan anything with your k04 until you're at the point where everything else is in place to handle the power and you've run the car for a little while - this way you can allow for any little issues associated with the mods to crop up and be sorted and you'll have total confidence that the car is ready for the extra power.

And thanks, I'm sure I'll give you a shout to answer some questions
I would definitely check your lpfp in Vcds measuring block 230/231 and look at the duty cycle as this was happing to someone else and they've found the lpfp wasn't coping. I've read a lot of post recently and they all seem to point toward fuelling issues  :thinking:

I would say my cars okay as I've never complained about things giving me any grief apart from that one hick up after hammering the car and when I came to a junction ready to take off the car held back like it was about to stall and then boom back on power and off I went. Fab5freddy said he had the same issue but after mapping and it was down to the fuel pressure sensor so kindly sent me one which I've not fitted yet as I now have a 200 bar sensor to fit as was told by dan to get as I'm going K04. hopefully all the handling mods I have will make it hold its own once fitted as the supplier was very honest and trustworthy so I'm confident the parts won't give me any trouble when fitted but I do think you're right about holding off and will leave the turbo till last.  :smiley:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #633 on: December 02, 2016, 04:39:12 pm »
Finally have the led's rings in but need to get the drill to pass wires through the back.

Need help on this please mate, could I get away with using 70mm halo? Also what do you wire this up to?
 :drinking:
Hello mate, you will need 90mm rings as 70mm ones won't sit around the inner chrome section. See my build thread here http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,103299.105.html  :happy2:
Cheers
Can't seem to find the 90mm from U.K. sellers only China ones that'll take a decade to turn up was planning to this in in few weeks when I'm off from work
Right so (bare with me lol) am I correct in thinking it's just simply wiring the positive led wire to the brake wire and then ground somewhere obviously...? So 2 wires per side through the rubber grommet?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
only in china mate and don't take too long to come.  :happy2:

No no no!!! You need to wire the positive wire to the tail lights side lights pin 3 and they will automatically work as tail and brake lights so quad system and it's as simple as that and it's one wire per grommet although I squeezed both lives thought the right hand grommet and extended it to the left for the left hand side. Earth was straight to the boot lid off the leds but baring in mind that you will get an error on the dash LCD when you first switch your lights on!. It doesn't bother me as I know my lights are fully functional. A member mateyguv had a way to clear this using additional bulbs but I just couldn't be bothered with it  :signLOL:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #634 on: December 02, 2016, 04:51:16 pm »
The low pressure pump is certainly a potential issue. You're not the first person to suggest that.

I may well uprate that along with the turbo even if the car continues to behave in the meantime.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #635 on: December 02, 2016, 05:02:00 pm »
Finally have the led's rings in but need to get the drill to pass wires through the back.

Need help on this please mate, could I get away with using 70mm halo? Also what do you wire this up to?
 :drinking:
Hello mate, you will need 90mm rings as 70mm ones won't sit around the inner chrome section. See my build thread here http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,103299.105.html  :happy2:
Cheers
Can't seem to find the 90mm from U.K. sellers only China ones that'll take a decade to turn up was planning to this in in few weeks when I'm off from work
Right so (bare with me lol) am I correct in thinking it's just simply wiring the positive led wire to the brake wire and then ground somewhere obviously...? So 2 wires per side through the rubber grommet?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
only in china mate and don't take too long to come.  :happy2:

No no no!!! You need to wire the positive wire to the tail lights side lights pin 3 and they will automatically work as tail and brake lights so quad system and it's as simple as that and it's one wire per grommet although I squeezed both lives thought the right hand grommet and extended it to the left for the left hand side. Earth was straight to the boot lid off the leds but baring in mind that you will get an error on the dash LCD when you first switch your lights on!. It doesn't bother me as I know my lights are fully functional. A member mateyguv had a way to clear this using additional bulbs but I just couldn't be bothered with it  :signLOL:
China it is then lol
Haha I did warn you to bare with me
I got it now, thanks for clearing it up for me!
I've also got the warning light on mine don't know what for (interior, number plate leds maybe) tried clearing it but comes back, don't care about it anymore as everything works like you said lol
thats okay I'm patient enough and happy to help  :wink:
I bought error free interior bulbs from china for £15 and they've been great and working well over a year now with no error. Also bought the genuine number lamps from across the border for £15 and again please with those and have been fitted 8months I think and very good quality too. Do use canbus error free leds but they keep on failing so went with the lamps  :happy2:
I tried clearing the same but it came back up so left it as is  :grin:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #636 on: December 02, 2016, 05:11:54 pm »
The low pressure pump is certainly a potential issue. You're not the first person to suggest that.

I may well uprate that along with the turbo even if the car continues to behave in the meantime.
It is a common issue usually caused after a remap from all the reading I've been doing although not with every golf or vag car but worth replacing. Dan_fr mentioned I need to get a 200 bar fuel rail pressure sensor to help with requested fuel so keep that in mind when going K04 as it makes perfect sense from his advice to replace this although tuners won't tell you this and scream every little they can out of the weakest link  :thinking: also the RS4 fpv will aid also but tuners say not essential. Remembering we have old cars and some lpfp maybe fine where as others will be cutting close to failing.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #637 on: December 02, 2016, 05:20:30 pm »

It is a common issue usually caused after a remap from all the reading I've been doing although not with every golf or vag car but worth replacing. Dan_fr mentioned I need to get a 200 bar fuel rail pressure sensor to help with requested fuel so keep that in mind when going K04 as it makes perfect sense from his advice to replace this although tuners won't tell you this and scream every little they can out of the weakest link  :thinking: also the RS4 fpv will aid also but tuners say not essential. Remembering we have old cars and some lpfp maybe fine where as others will be cutting close to failing.
Yes, very true. I have the RS4 return valve in there now so that's one thing ticked off. Apparently there was a revision to the LPFP - not sure exactly when - but mine is the newer pump according to Steve at Statller. Although as you rightly say, parts get old so it doesn't necessarily mean mine is functioning perfectly even though it's a revised part.

I'm also going to get the fuel filter replaced when it next goes in, these are not deemed as servicable by VW as I'm sure you know, and I've no idea whether it had ever been replaced before I bought the car.

Slowly but surely getting there!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #638 on: December 02, 2016, 05:23:18 pm »
Oh great so I'll be looking forward to more errors warnings with my folding mirrors as I've also fitted dark lenses on and not sure if they're error free or not  :doh: :signLOL:
Lol depends on which ones you've bought for no. Plates as I have scirocco ones on mine and they're perfect  :grin:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #639 on: December 02, 2016, 05:27:41 pm »

Yes, very true. I have the RS4 return valve in there now so that's one thing ticked off. Apparently there was a revision to the LPFP - not sure exactly when - but mine is the newer pump according to Steve at Statller. Although as you rightly say, parts get old so it doesn't necessarily mean mine is functioning perfectly even though it's a revised part.

I'm also going to get the fuel filter replaced when it next goes in, these are not deemed as servicable by VW as I'm sure you know, and I've no idea whether it had ever been replaced before I bought the car.

Slowly but surely getting there!
yeah I wouldn't worry about what revision it is but worth a check imo as we never know  :thinking:
Regarding fuel filter thanks for reminding me as mine must definitely need one by now so oil + oil filter and pollen filter in the boot and now a fuel filter to buy then that's this years service out of the way  :happy2:

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
« Reply #640 on: December 02, 2016, 05:46:19 pm »
oh don't start me off  :doh: I haven't fitted leds on as I was worried about the error lights coming on and I'd rather not have to deal with that unless someone can tell me otherwise so I can go spend the last few pennies I have left  :signLOL:

Best get your wallet out.  :grin: don't think they are part of the canbus system. I have fitted them and no issue. Have seen with standard bulb so not got a comparison

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #641 on: December 02, 2016, 05:52:43 pm »
oh don't start me off  :doh: I haven't fitted leds on as I was worried about the error lights coming on and I'd rather not have to deal with that unless someone can tell me otherwise so I can go spend the last few pennies I have left  :signLOL:

Best get your wallet out.  :grin: don't think they are part of the canbus system. I have fitted them and no issue. Have seen with standard bulb so not got a comparison

Here we go again more to buy and more to do but thankfully easier to fit as the mirrors are off the car atm  :wink:
They're very bright I must say varley  :happy2: you shouldn't have posted it up so now I'll be ordering a pair since I have the option   :driver:

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
« Reply #642 on: December 02, 2016, 06:02:36 pm »
Happy to help   :evilgrin:

Yes they are very bright, you won't be disappointed
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 06:23:59 pm by v4rley »

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #643 on: December 02, 2016, 06:35:15 pm »
Happy to help   :evilgrin:

Yes they are very bright, you won't be disappointed
I like bright lights cheers  :party:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 06:40:43 pm by r5gtt »

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #644 on: December 02, 2016, 08:53:18 pm »
Oh great so I'll be looking forward to more errors warnings with my folding mirrors as I've also fitted dark lenses on and not sure if they're error free or not  :doh: :signLOL:
Lol depends on which ones you've bought for no. Plates as I have scirocco ones on mine and they're perfect  :grin:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111803742295

These are the smoked ones I got but not for that crazy price listed lol think he made a mistake on the listing, picked it up from him in person in East Ham, £25 I think I paid, guys got a lovely r32
Has a light smoke to them, wanted to kind of retain oem look, bought early this year but not totally happy with them anymore as they now look yellow and greeny bit like a fish tank that hasn't been cleaned lol

Might end up tinting them if I get time and bored
I actually bought mine off a forum member here and they're totally different to yours as these ones have a black backing donno silver in sight!. Yes seem those £132 ones  :signLOL: wondered why the hike in price but have seen many items on eBay with crazy prices  :rolleye:

I'd get some tiny film and wrap them as I can understand what you mean by the fish tank look  :signLOL: