Make a donation

Author Topic: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 coming soon  (Read 36565 times)

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
Re: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 coming soon
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2018, 07:54:33 am »
The 3 is a pretty good tyre, but the PS4 I would recommend over both
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2018, 09:46:32 pm »
Are the Goodyear Asy 3s any good? I have 2s on the front which have been good, although the wear rate is average.
I have seen way too many problems with Goodyear Asymmetric 3s to recommend them.  The infamous RedRobin had very real problems with them.  Even Evo magazine slated them on their long term test on a Mk5 R32.

I need 2 rear tyres and was told just to get economy level ones as it’s the fronts that do all the driving?
That is dangerous advice.  For many years, the official advice is to always fit your best tyres on the rear axle - even on front-wheel drive cars.  Not only do you need the same 'quality' tyres on the rear, they should have the deepest tread.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline loop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 26
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2018, 05:01:59 am »
Are the Goodyear Asy 3s any good? I have 2s on the front which have been good, although the wear rate is average. 
I need 2 rear tyres and was told just to get economy level ones as it’s the fronts that do all the driving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your best bet could be to put the 2’s on rear for now and get PS4 on front. Cheap tyres are a false economy.

Cheers, will probably do that, although my fronts are balding on the inner edge!
I probably need to get a 4 wheel alignment done!
‘05 GT, Retrofits: RNS 510 DAB+, R32 Highline Cluster, R32 MFSW, Mk6 Reversing Camera, 7P6 Bluetooth, TPMS, Cruise Control, VW MDI, Chrome switches, Blaupunkt THA 475 amp.

Offline loop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2018, 05:03:21 am »
I have seen way too many problems with Goodyear Asymmetric 3s to recommend them.  The infamous RedRobin had very real problems with them.  Even Evo magazine slated them on their long term test on a Mk5 R32.

That is dangerous advice.  For many years, the official advice is to always fit your best tyres on the rear axle - even on front-wheel drive cars.  Not only do you need the same 'quality' tyres on the rear, they should have the deepest tread.

Thanks for the tip - I was just going by what a mechanic told me.  He didn't seem to think it was worth spending a lot of money on the rears in a front wheel drive car.
‘05 GT, Retrofits: RNS 510 DAB+, R32 Highline Cluster, R32 MFSW, Mk6 Reversing Camera, 7P6 Bluetooth, TPMS, Cruise Control, VW MDI, Chrome switches, Blaupunkt THA 475 amp.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2018, 08:15:44 am »

Thanks for the tip - I was just going by what a mechanic told me.  He didn't seem to think it was worth spending a lot of money on the rears in a front wheel drive car.

Keep away from that mechanic. He knows little about safety driving. :scared:

Offline loop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2018, 09:35:45 pm »

He wasn’t saying buy unsafe ones just economy level ones, say £50 each rather than £100 each. They wouldn’t be able to sell them if they weren’t safe lol.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2018, 03:35:43 pm »

He wasn’t saying buy unsafe ones just economy level ones, say £50 each rather than £100 each. They wouldn’t be able to sell them if they weren’t safe lol.

They might be average on dry surfaces. On wet roads they’re also called ditch finders. I’m driving a Passat Variant 2.0 TDI with Michelin Energy tyres, which you can’t call budget tyres, and I find their wet grip awful compared with good sport tyres (Continental Sport Contact 5, Michelin PS4, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asys 3, etc.).

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2018, 06:06:13 pm »
So a much better all rounder than the Asy2, under all conditions?

Or are you comparing a new PS4 with the performance of an old and worn down Asy2?

Yep.  Same roads I've been driving for the past 26 years.  Definitely a big improvement, especially in turn-in feel and much more positive self centering.  The Eagles are very poor in that area. 

I had the Assy 2s from new and that's what my comparison is based upon.  Of course, worn down tyres will be hopeless compared to new ones but I've used every F1 since it's launch and they've all been the same - fine up to and around half worn and then they are terrible from there to bald.

So @Pudding are you using the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S now? :)  I'm also about to get myselv some new tires and I've read that these F1 wear fast and then go bad as you also stated
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2018, 06:25:10 pm »
Michelin still hasn’t made PS4S for 18” wheels, just for 19” and above. It’s the PS4 that you can get in 18”.

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2018, 07:05:10 pm »
Actually they make PS4S in both 17” and 18” sizes for USA market according to the tire rack site but choose not to make it available for their fellow europeans......

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2018, 08:13:22 pm »
I've got ps4 for my 18 mins as.

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
« Reply #116 on: June 09, 2018, 08:40:30 pm »
I've asked a retailer here in Denmark that normally are great at getting stuff which isn't easy to find in EU.. Maybe he can sort me out with some PS4S for my wheels..
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button