Make a donation

Author Topic: 05 AXX GTI Started with missfire under load now wont start - now running smokey  (Read 5260 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
To establish if your ECU is standard or remapped, go into 'Advanced ID' in the engine module.  'Successful' and 'Attempted' flash counts will both be 0 if it's standard.  1 or more means it's been remapped.

I would log this lot first:-

Engine speed
Mass Air flow
Lambda control - that's your short term live adjustments, +/- 25%.  Anything more than 10% either way isn't too healthy.
Lambda requested.
Lambda actual - Just to make sure it's running 1 at idle and part throttle, and ~ 0.85 in boost.   Black smoke zone is 0.75 and richer.
Boost requested
Boost actual
Fuel rail pressure requested
Fuel rail pressure actual
Fuel rail pressure difference - easier than getting the calculator out!  5 bar difference over a 100rpm or so is normal. Analog devices take time to react.
Ignition angle - Don't be surprised to see this go negative in boost, it's normal.  Such a massively delayed burn can also cause black smoke.
Throttle valve angle.

Annoying that you can only log 12 things at once, but must be a limitation of the databus rather than VCDS.

Then log these separately:-

Engine rpm
Boost requested
Boost actual
Ignition delay (knock control) cyl 1
Ignition delay  cyl 2
Ignition delay  cyl 3
Ignition delay  cyl 4
Misfire recognition cyl 1
Misfire recognition cyl 2
Misfire recognition cyl 3
Misfire recognition cyl 4
Intake temp

RE: the fault codes, the only one I'd be concerned about is the MAF.  The post cat lambda and charcoal can plumbing faults are common and wouldn't cause excessive over fuelling.  A bad MAF certainly could though.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline _dubstar_

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Been on the dyno today and a remap from Uber Tuning. Now putting out 242.48hp and 369.78Nm. No smoke and no oil consumption. PCV delete seems to have cured the oil getting in the cylinders.