Make a donation

Author Topic: URGENT oil pressure stop engine  (Read 192763 times)

Offline Pesky jones

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 19
Re: URGENT oil pressure stop engine
« Reply #810 on: May 17, 2016, 08:09:41 am »
Cheers rich I was looking last night and might be able to get one for about about 100 second hand good condition, but think I should probably go new from tps.

Yeah ill have a crack at removing them. Im not sure about blocking the inlet manifold, plus when blocking the pcv does that plate that blocks it not use the same screw holes as the pcv? What are the benefits of pcv delete, think I need to do some research on it tbh  :signLOL:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:11:39 am by Peskyjones »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #811 on: May 17, 2016, 09:04:49 am »
I suppose the main benefit is losing the flimsy plastic valve and saying goodbye to regular replacements and dodgy idling / blown rocker gaskets etc.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #812 on: May 17, 2016, 10:19:54 am »
Cam cover wont be under vacuum, any minor leaks here will have no effect on running so the surging should stop and you wouldn't face the expense of a new engine cover, just need a way to vent the crank and cam gases.

Research needed, lot's of pros and cons
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #813 on: May 18, 2016, 09:15:53 am »
http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/VAG_20TFSI_PCV_Delete_Plate--product--1361.html

@Dan_FR Using the forge PCV delete plate above, I will essentially block the cam cover venting gas to the inlet manifold, but it will still vent to the crank if Im understanding correctly. Then the cam cover will vent gasses through the two rear breather pipes.

The only con I could find being that it increases the pressures inside the engine as it is now venting the cam cover gassess through one less outlet?

It all looks good, however, Id still need to remove the two bolt shafts in order to fit this plate!

I think r-tech kits are probably all sold out now. There was only 10 left about a month ago...

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #814 on: May 18, 2016, 10:05:21 am »
Not quite. Crank gases vent in to the cam cover as usual, but then all of the crank and cam gases are forced through the other side of the cam cover (via the tiny channel/cut-out on the back of the PCV plate) and in to the turbo using the main rear breather (the other small one is from the N80 EVAP system - separate)

This does increase crankcase pressure which is why I tell people to either go R-Tech PCV (which includes a blank for the turbo, and all gases are vented to atmosphere) or stick with the factory PCV. Ideally you would still sort your cam cover regardless though

With the R-Tech one a 100% perfect seal isn't crucial as it is just unmetered blow-by gases being vented to atmosphere, although you may get a slight weep of oil from it as you would expect

Think I would get the cam cover fixed or look for a decent used one and then go from there
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #815 on: May 18, 2016, 11:31:05 am »
Agreed, I'm going to get a price for a new one and also keep an eye out for a second hand one. The problem is, if I try to remove the broken shafts, I might damage the cam cover to the point I cant drive with it. I need to be a day or two away from the getting a new cover before trying to remove them ideally - which realistically can only be done if buying a new one.

Just for information, with the OEM PCV why does the crank vent to the cam cover, only to vent from the cam cover to the inlet manifold? Why not just have it go straight to the inlet manifold to burn?

If I sort the cam cover, I might just go standard PCV for now. I think unless I do it properly with a r-tech system (are they the only ones to make a "good" system?) I'm not going to bother. Its just an extra expense without worthwhile benefits at the moment. Thanks for the info

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ssk7v59cdboa4p4va40jdoehr1&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #816 on: May 18, 2016, 11:37:41 am »
New cover and new OEM PCV and seal will see it right.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #817 on: May 18, 2016, 01:08:30 pm »
Just for information, with the OEM PCV why does the crank vent to the cam cover, only to vent from the cam cover to the inlet manifold? Why not just have it go straight to the inlet manifold to burn?

Crank gases vent in to the cam, join the gases/pressure from the cam area, then all of the pressure/gases go through to the PCV, which either directs it directly in to the intake manifold under vacuum, or in to the turbo intake when there is boost/positive pressure in the inlet manifold.

The gases cannot go straight to the inlet manifold, as when on boost, the positive pressure in the inlet would pressurise both the cam and crank areas, which is a major no-no if you like your engine. This is why we need the PCV which is essentially a one-way valve, allowing gases to pass through in to the inlet, but stopping any pressure returning and pressurising the engine.  On a N/A car there is no issue venting straight to the inlet manifold as there is no positive/boost pressure to worry about in the inlet manifold.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #818 on: May 28, 2016, 03:46:30 pm »
Update - new rocker cover on and pcv is now tight.

When r tech did the smoke test this was the only place it was leaking from.

It still surges a little bit. It doesn't surge with maf unplugged.

I have a spare maf now thanks to @DANBOY66 so will replace this then see what it does, although I know @Dan_FR doesnt think that the maf sensor often fails but its worth a try? 

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #819 on: May 29, 2016, 10:21:54 pm »
Fitted the new maf and it APPEARS to have fixed the surging. I need to check a couple more times though as it wasnt vey quiet today 

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #820 on: May 29, 2016, 10:24:30 pm »
 :congrats:

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #821 on: May 30, 2016, 07:34:04 pm »
No hasn't solved it, and realised even without the maf plugged in it still surges a little bit. No air leaks, so dont kniw what it could be. Might just live with it, its really not veey loud

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #822 on: May 30, 2016, 07:54:08 pm »
When does the surging occur?. What revs?. could it be the boost pressure sensor.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #823 on: May 30, 2016, 11:15:10 pm »
Just at idle so around 700. Not even sure surging is the right word. Id expect that parked up somewhere quiet with the engine idling, it should sound consistently the same. It doesnt, however. It will sometimes change note momentarily. Theres a video of it I posted a while back. Im not sure if im just listening to the engine too much etc.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #824 on: May 30, 2016, 11:27:37 pm »
That's probably down to the inlet coking pesky? did you do a cylinder head decoke on the head?.