Make a donation

Author Topic: Steering rack problem  (Read 3895 times)

Offline 99hagued

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 23
Steering rack problem
« on: March 04, 2016, 07:26:09 pm »
Ok so I started me car up last night and got the steering red light of death, scanned it and came up with 00573- steering torque sensor (G269) 008- implausible signal. checked measuring block for sensor and not doin nothing power is getting to terminal 15 so looks like new rack. Rang tps they wanted £850 for new rack plus £95 for a new wiring loom for the gen3 rack. Then came across a company called acs steering, gave them a call they can do a refurbished gen2 rack for £300 or a brand new genuine gen3 rack for £350 so gonna go for the gen3 and get the loom from tps, they sounded like they know there stuff so hopefully all will be well. striped the old rack off at work today ready for the new one which is been delivered Monday. Has anyone ever swapped a gen2 for gen3 rack before know what coding will be involved? from what I gather the gen3 has a steering angle sensor built in so would that make the one on the column redundant. any help would be much appreciated.   

Offline 99hagued

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: Steering rack problem
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 10:59:20 pm »
All sorted now if anyone is in need of a new steering rack I can't recommend ACS Steering high enough. £350 for a brand new genuine Vw gen3 rack with new tie rods and track rod ends and everything. Had to buy the loom from tps that was £90 and as for coding just had to disable the internal steering angle sensor then do basic setting. Only thing is I got a code in abs because I need to go Vw to get them to install steering characteristics curve.

Offline 99hagued

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 11:48:26 am »
WOW VW just quoted me £140 to install the steering characteristics curve onto my new rack they say it a hours labour, surely it's a 30min job max that's scandalous. Anyone else on here had it done how much did u pay??

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 02:31:03 pm »
There's so much variation in dealer prices. Ring around.
Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)