Make a donation

Author Topic: MK6 GTI Buying Advice  (Read 3963 times)

Offline afctom

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
MK6 GTI Buying Advice
« on: March 14, 2016, 11:39:50 am »
Hi all, looking to get myself into a MK6 GTI. Can't get my head around the pricing though. I'd say my budget would be £15k - surely that should be plenty for me to get a nice example? I've been browsing Autotrader for weeks and been far from impressed, everything around that price point is high mileage, low spec (halogens, cloth etc) - Where should I be looking? I'm seeing MK7's come in at under 20k now so can't believe I can't find a decent MK6 for 15k ish. Cheers

Offline Jay_bcfc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • MK5 Pirelli previous MK6 Gti ED30 and MK5 R32
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu326/jaybcfc1983/Pirelli_2_zpso5tdkgow.jpg
Re: MK6 GTI Buying Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 09:07:53 pm »
I struggled while looking for a MK6 Gti,  there just were not many around, I saw a few earlier ones knocking about but that was about it. I had the same problems as you struggling to find a decent one but there was not much choice. In the end I went to look at a ED35 but a TR MK6 Gti had just come in so went for that instead.
I got mine last June, 33k 2012 leather from a dealer for around 16k.

Offline Db4193

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 09:22:38 pm »
Hi all, looking to get myself into a MK6 GTI. Can't get my head around the pricing though. I'd say my budget would be £15k - surely that should be plenty for me to get a nice example? I've been browsing Autotrader for weeks and been far from impressed, everything around that price point is high mileage, low spec (halogens, cloth etc) - Where should I be looking? I'm seeing MK7's come in at under 20k now so can't believe I can't find a decent MK6 for 15k ish. Cheers

I'd let mines go for less than your budget. Very low miles, fsh & very high spec  :happy2:

Offline Banham

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 15
  • GTI MK6
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 06:27:30 pm »
I've had my MK6 gti just over a month now despite taking 3 months to find it. Xenons and dsg were my two priorities that the car has to have beside it not being black or white.  Even i had a had time finding one under 60k with both one in good condition. I was looking on auto trader each day to see if any new ones have been added. Just happened to stumble across a forum and have one for sale on there. So try forums and google search as you never no the right car may come up. I got a very well spec'd car and only had 32k on for 1k under your budget so im sure if you play the waiting game it will be worth it  :happy2:

Offline afctom

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 02:18:33 pm »
I've had my MK6 gti just over a month now despite taking 3 months to find it. Xenons and dsg were my two priorities that the car has to have beside it not being black or white.  Even i had a had time finding one under 60k with both one in good condition. I was looking on auto trader each day to see if any new ones have been added. Just happened to stumble across a forum and have one for sale on there. So try forums and google search as you never no the right car may come up. I got a very well spec'd car and only had 32k on for 1k under your budget so im sure if you play the waiting game it will be worth it  :happy2:

Yeah been checking Autotrader for weeks! Either 100k miles, or terrible spec with 40-50k miles asking for 17-18k... jokers!

I've never bought a car privately but perhaps that's the best route into one of these cars, especially when buying from an enthusiast.

Offline Db4193

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 11:15:12 pm »
If you think about going private then here is mines

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,104096.0.html

I've only had it a short while but the previous owner was a VW enthusiast from golfgtiforum. I'm just selling as I'm saving for a house and with the little miles I do I'd rather have a cheaper car and money for a deposit so it's back to Honda I'm going. Anyway just pm me if interested as I'm going to the dealer I sold my last car to at the weekend to get an offer from them. Cars still got VW warranty until April which I can sign over and can be extended.

Offline jackday1986

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 10:27:45 am »
Had mine about 2 months now, FVWSH, 45K on the clock, refurbed wheels, immaculate condition, 3 years warranty, 12K

Offline R15NDO

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 07:24:02 pm »
I got mine off auto trader about 3-4 weeks ago. 2010 Dark grey 5dr dsg full leather. 61k fsh. Only thing it hasn't got is xenons but I paid 10,500. Went to look at a same spec silver one for 500 more and it was poor

Offline Tinytim

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 06:32:15 pm »
I'm in a similar position. I originally started looking for a lowish mileage Edition 30 however I was shocked at ty prices folk are asking for a 2007 vehicle.

Anything remotely low/average mileage and people are asking 10/11 even 12k!
That's bonkers for a 9 year old car.

The only reason I thought about getting one is I bought one in 2011 at 3 years old with 35k on the clock for £12,000, and thought 5 years on prices would have dropped significantly but clearly not. There is no way I am paying similar money now to what I did 4.5 years ago. People are definitely over inflating the values, you only have to look on Parkers price guide to see what they think they are worth.

So my attention has switched to a Mk6. Although they are a similar car underneath I feel inside they are much more modern especially on the tech front.

Some of the posts above saying what car they got for the money show there are good vehicles to be had for decent money.

A quick search has revealed decent spec and mileage golfs r's for 16-18k.
To me that is much better value for money that a 2007 ED30 on 50k
Don't see how these vehicles should only be 4-5k apart in price. I wouldn't expecting more like 7-9 difference in price.

I've seen a very nice low mileage DSG R, 2011 for £16,500.

Another thing is we don't actually know what cars go for, there might be all these high prices but what are people really selling for? Can't realistically see ED30's that are 9 years old going for 12k.

Same with the Mk6 Gti, I suspect the crazy high price ones on auto trader aren't actually selling for anywhere near the asking price.

I always been told a car is a bad investment money wise so j
I enjoy them for what they are. I expect the resale value to plumet like a stone over time, so don't know where people are getting their asking prices from.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 06:36:05 pm by Tinytim »