Make a donation

Author Topic: Another rusty gti!  (Read 5236 times)

Offline flashp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
Re: Another rusty gti!
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 03:45:09 pm »
I've got a very slight bubble in that area on my passenger side.  Not bad enough to justify the cost / hassle in sorting it yet.

Having studied that area a bit, it looks like grit from the tyres chips the paint off leaving it exposed for a good dose of rusting.
It never gets easier or cheaper to fix the longer it's left.   :wink:

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 03:58:07 pm »
I've got a very slight bubble in that area on my passenger side.  Not bad enough to justify the cost / hassle in sorting it yet.

Having studied that area a bit, it looks like grit from the tyres chips the paint off leaving it exposed for a good dose of rusting.

In my younger 'keener' days I fully subscribed to prevention being better (and cheaper) than the cure, but now...... meh.  It's actually fixable by a quick sand back and touch up pen job tbh.  Might do that actually just to stop it spreading if nothing else!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 04:12:54 pm »

In my younger 'keener' days I fully subscribed to prevention being better (and cheaper) than the cure, but now...... meh.  It's actually fixable by a quick sand back and touch up pen job tbh.  Might do that actually just to stop it spreading if nothing else!

I get this as well!  :drinking:

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 04:25:06 pm »
The paint is all flaking off my front bumper too, so I might just throw it into the bodyshop this summer and they can sort all the niggly bits for me  :smiley:

Are Editions known for bad paint on the bumpers?  I'm guessing it's wind / rain lifting the paint after stone chips damage?

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2016, 04:34:55 pm »
Slightly related - after fitting the Supersports I've noticed them picking up loads of grit and gravel from where I've parked. Especially in the summer, they're like glue. This then gets hurled off the tyres and into the arches, subframe, bodywork etc as soon as you pick up some speed. Nice.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2016, 04:53:15 pm »
Yeah, these cars could do with some little mud guards or something in that area, but not the huge ugly rubber ones that hang down like Dumbo's ears.

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2016, 04:54:55 pm »
Rusting of the front wings is not related to stone chips hitting the paint. It's a design flaw in the foam pad in the wheel arch. This traps leaves and other debris that eat away at the paint. For VW to accept the claim, it must be rusting from the inside out. So it must be bubbling under the paint. If it's chipped and the metal is rusting = no dice.

I will say that the majority of MK5 GTIs I've seen are prone to front end stone chips. But normal MK5s less so. I guess it's the speed at which they're driven and the fact they're a bit lower.

RE the MPSS, softer rubber picks up more dirt. Not much you can do about that mate  :happy2:
Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)

Offline amanda

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2016, 05:26:20 pm »
£1330 to replace 1 sill.......ekkkk
I could have a cheap fix of £300

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2016, 06:12:28 pm »
WTF - where the heck did they get that price from??

Offline Ditto

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2016, 01:50:15 pm »
Before I managed to get the sills done FOC (after negotiation), the orignslly wanted 350 for both. That was a VW body shop. Blending on wings was 100 each side (didn't need the blend in the end).

Offline amanda

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2016, 02:30:17 pm »
Right this is a piccie of my sill joining my wing .......I think from looking at the piccie both the wing and sill are co joined as in if the wing hadn't rusted the sill wouldn't either! My gut feeling on this is my sill should be replaced FOC
Please feel free to contradict me ;)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 02:33:59 pm by amanda »

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2016, 02:34:14 pm »
Well it should be done FOC. Depends how far you want to take it with VW. Your next step is to ring VW UK. They're generally helpful and this is a VW UK problem, not a franchised dealer problem. So they should be picking up the ball here.
Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)

Offline amanda

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2016, 02:48:00 pm »
So it's not me  :smiley:
I have already spoken to Vw uk as I was very unhappy with my dealers price of 1300 to replace that sill so it has already been escalated I hope. Don't think my dealer is too happy with me as he said the sills were too old to replace!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2016, 06:23:48 pm »
It should be replaced FOC but as I said, they've got us on that 'edge and fold' get out of jail card. 

£1330 is ridiculous.  That's doing the whole sill when all it needs is grinding back and repainting. VW can't afford to be pissing people off right now with their reputation!!