Make a donation

Author Topic: EPC Light flashing loss of power  (Read 7207 times)

Offline SyGolf5Gti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
EPC Light flashing loss of power
« on: March 19, 2016, 01:59:11 pm »
Hi guys just wondering if anyone might be able to help, iv been having a few issues with my car, just last month I had to replace the cam follower high pressure pump and cam as my cam follower got damaged right through after all this was replaced I still experience fuel cuts especially when the car got warm, it turned out it was the pump in the tank, I replaced that and car drove fine for about 1000km. Twice I experienced a slight jerking at constant acceleration doing about 120km/h on the highway it didn't happen again until yesterday when driving full throttle on the highway the same jerking happened EPC light came on and immediate power loss. I pulled over car switched the car off, checked, everything seemed fine in the hood started the vehicle again, car idles fine, drives, but has no power EPC flashing. one minute when my foot is down on the pedal no power next minute it lurches forward then power dies again. Any idea what the problem could be now..
Take it easy.. and if its easy.. Take it home!! :driver:

Offline RedGolfDom

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 16
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99951.0.html
Re: EPC Light flashing loss of power
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 03:05:09 pm »
You tried vcds? If no one near you has one you could try coilpacks are sparkplugs if you haven't changed them in a long time its worth doing anyway
Mk5 golf gt 140
Revo stage 1
Air lift Performance 3p

Offline SyGolf5Gti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 03:24:57 pm »
Thanks will try that, actually have not changed plugs or coil packs in the last 90000kms

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 06:21:22 pm »
Weirdly enough a bad MAF throws the ESP light.  They're not that expensive so try that first.  It would also explain the erratic power delivery.  You should get a G70 fault code though.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Rampage

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 09:13:00 pm »
Had the same thing earlier this week. Got @r5gtt to do a scan for me (he's a real diamond!  :happy2:)

Threw a G79 code which relates to a faulty sensor in the accelerator pedal (looking on the net, it's quite a common fault). Unplugged it and popped in back in and it cleared. It's been fine since, but will buy a new pedal soon for peace of mind.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 10:13:51 pm »
Had the same thing earlier this week. Got @r5gtt to do a scan for me (he's a real diamond!  :happy2:)

Threw a G79 code which relates to a faulty sensor in the accelerator pedal (looking on the net, it's quite a common fault). Unplugged it and popped in back in and it cleared. It's been fine since, but will buy a new pedal soon for peace of mind.
I bet @Rampage it'll keep working now.

Offline SyGolf5Gti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 11:33:16 pm »
@Pudding iv done the MAF sensor check (disconnecting the maf sensor and car idles very rough when sensor disconnected so guess that means the maf is fine. @Rampage thanks r5gtt is a great help even on this forum, all the advise I got from him has been spot on. @r5gtt where is this pedal sensor located , would like to try popping it off and reconnecting.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 11:49:21 pm »
Hi @SyGolf5Gti usually you'll get an error code for Accelerator Position Sensor (G79/G185) and are both built into the pedal unit.
You'll have to disconnect the plug which is located at the top of the pedal by pushing down hard on the grey clip located to the right side of the pedal until you feel it click (it's pretty stiff) then pull up and the plug will pop off. Then plug it back on and clear the codes which should bring your car back to how it ran before the epc came on  :happy2:

Offline Rampage

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 08:33:40 am »

100% mate! Sod's law!!!  :signLOL:

Offline SyGolf5Gti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 09:06:11 am »
Thank @r5gtt, will this only work if I clear the codes after? as I don't have a machine.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 09:12:26 am »

100% mate! Sod's law!!!  :signLOL:
:signLOL:

Thank @r5gtt, will this only work if I clear the codes after? as I don't have a machine.

I recall EML coming on but eps went away. it should run smoother. @SyGolf5Gti

Offline SyGolf5Gti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 09:14:59 am »
ok thanks, will try that

Offline SyGolf5Gti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 11:01:07 am »
So @r5gtt I removed the sensor and plugged it back took the car for a drive around the block epc light still flashing, next thing epc went out and a strange noise came from the front, I stopped to check it out, turns out the bolts that hold the high pressure fuel pump broke and hpfp was sticking out. Its supper weird because the bolts are not stripped out but literally broken half inside half out, as though the pressure from the pump caused them to snap. The pump was replace just last month.  :sad1: now I don't know is this maybe what was causing the epc light and why would these bolts snap.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 01:31:12 pm »
Hi,

How many are snapped?. I'd say they could have been over tightened and you should take it back to the place you had the work carried out at and ask them to rectify this FOC. I'm not sure if this was the cause of the epc tbh.

Is the motor stil running?.

Offline SyGolf5Gti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 09:35:11 am »
Two bolts were snapped one had come out completely, I have taken it back and they are sorting it out. Motor is still running. Will wait to test it once they have finished sorting out the hpfp bolts.