Make a donation

Author Topic: Clutch problems  (Read 4943 times)

Offline Timmyboy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Clutch problems
« on: January 04, 2010, 11:56:47 pm »
Hi all - first post here. I've already posed this problem over at Briskoda so forgive the cross post, but I didn't get any replies.

My clutch has recently started slipping. 3 year old VRS TFSI, 20k on the clock.

No slip at standard power, tiny blip at stage 1, very noticeable at stage2+. Every time I've noticed it slip, the temp outside has been < 0 degrees.

Found a load of mk5 GTI people with similar age/mileage cars also getting slip - and often on cold days.

Need a warmer day to come around to see if I'm still getting slip.

But, interested to hear if you think this might be relevant or my clutch is just simply on the way out.

Seems a little strange, as at a reputable dyno proven 251bhp I'm comfortably lower on power and torque than an S3 which presumably has the same clutch.

If I bite the bullet and get a replacement, I've read that the later S3's OEM clutch is in fact an uprated SACH clutch and hence a fair chunk cheaper than a genuine performance upgrade, which considering I'm not intending on pushing the power much further, would probably be overkill. Is this a simply bolt on replacement and would I have to replace the DMF?

Any advice/experience/prices welcome :)

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: Clutch problems
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 01:13:09 pm »
On here we have had a 1 or 2 people with premature failed clutches on bog standard cars and a few more with various maps on. Which always get blamed on the map either by VW or us lot thinking it must be down to the extra torque. there are too many variables to be honest though, as driving style and clutch riding could all play there part.
If your going to stay with the power you currently have then i think the sachs one should easily be able to cope with that power.  :happy2:

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 07:18:11 pm »
I've just had a new clutch and dm flywheel. It was actually the flywheel which was wrecked and the clutch was fine. After loads of research, I'm bring told that the flywheel was a weak link on the first few years of tfsi cars.  I'm told the part has been updated and should be fine on a mapped gti. Fingers crossed hey

Offline Timmyboy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 11:07:33 pm »
Ta for the replies - also for the PM which I can't reply to :)

Spoke to RTech today who only mentioned OEM and the uprated Sachs kit - the latter being around £900 fitted.

Just spotted the thread in the 'general' section, mentioning a VWR replacement for a more reasonable price - might have a look into this.

Offline Timmyboy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 11:59:42 am »
Well, this clutch issue has been an interesting experience.

I've spoken to various tuning people and a few owners on various forums, and the general consensus is that given the power output of my car, I'm a little unlucky to be getting clutch slip at 20k miles.

I've been able to make the clutch slip consistently for the past few weeks, since starting this thread, in 3rd gear upwards.

I've bought a 500 mile old clutch and flywheel and got prices from the ever patient Kate at JKM for fitting.

Then... along comes the thaw

I honestly have not driven the car since mid december or so in anything warmer than around 1.5 degrees, until this week.

We've had between 6 and 10 degrees in Bristol this week, and I've had absolutely zero clutch slip, even when I'm trying to.

All very strange. Not sure what to conclude at the moment, other than perhaps this is advance warning of the clutch fail to come, but I won't change it for now and will see what happens in the next few weeks/months.

Offline pako88268

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
  • Always driving slowly =)
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 05:17:39 pm »
Hey

After 55000 KM i m also looking for a new clutch and cannot decide what to buy!

i'm now looking also for a new clutch and went to AMD in surrey to ask for a clutch with flywheel SACHS or HELIX and it is aimed at around 900£. The price is for a new DMF but would be cheaper when going single mass flywheel but dunno which one to take!  in my situation i think i got my flywheel given up where some strange noises are coming from. when idling and moving the gear left and right gives some zzzing noises =( and when the clutch is cold i can feel in the paddle something bumping  it very strong.

any recommendation for me ? hope you dont mind writing in this tread coz it is same topic =)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 05:21:11 pm by pako88268 »
REVO Stage 2+, Dbilas intake, KMD High Pressure Fuel Pump, Sachs organic clutch, Sachs Single Mass Flywheel, BSH Oil catch tank, BSH Engine mount, BSH transmission mount, BSH lower mount, Milltek downpipe, 200 cells cat back, HKS Turbo Timer, FORGE DV Valve, FORGE Spacer, THS -intercooler, OZ, etc

Offline Timmyboy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 05:26:53 pm »
Well, with your modifications then the uprated clutch is the way to go - you could potentially save some money, as the chap I bought my DMF from has another in exactly the same condition i.e. it's covered 500 miles.

Could be one idea for you - give Steve a shout at Backdraft motorsport.

Having said that, the price of £900 INCLUDING the DMF sounds very reasonable indeed - is that including fitting??

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 05:34:38 pm »
future proof your self

£904 from demon tweeks .

ditches the duel mass and the plate is rated to 400ftlb (just incase :)  )
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline pako88268

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
  • Always driving slowly =)
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 05:46:38 pm »
Well, with your modifications then the uprated clutch is the way to go - you could potentially save some money, as the chap I bought my DMF from has another in exactly the same condition i.e. it's covered 500 miles.

Could be one idea for you - give Steve a shout at Backdraft motorsport.

Having said that, the price of £900 INCLUDING the DMF sounds very reasonable indeed - is that including fitting??

i don't know forgot to ask if the price is with fitting or without but in my opinion is without and then + VAT.
future proof your self

£904 from demon tweeks .

ditches the duel mass and the plate is rated to 400ftlb (just incase :)  )

sounds interesting but will drive now 2 weeks with it coz i will go to a trip in europe for 2 weeks will catch up with it when i m back.
is it DMF only or does it comes with a clutch?
REVO Stage 2+, Dbilas intake, KMD High Pressure Fuel Pump, Sachs organic clutch, Sachs Single Mass Flywheel, BSH Oil catch tank, BSH Engine mount, BSH transmission mount, BSH lower mount, Milltek downpipe, 200 cells cat back, HKS Turbo Timer, FORGE DV Valve, FORGE Spacer, THS -intercooler, OZ, etc

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 08:40:41 pm »
you bin the duel mass flywheel and use the solid 1
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline chungster

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 08:47:37 pm »
Well, this clutch issue has been an interesting experience.

I've spoken to various tuning people and a few owners on various forums, and the general consensus is that given the power output of my car, I'm a little unlucky to be getting clutch slip at 20k miles.

I've been able to make the clutch slip consistently for the past few weeks, since starting this thread, in 3rd gear upwards.

I've bought a 500 mile old clutch and flywheel and got prices from the ever patient Kate at JKM for fitting.

Then... along comes the thaw

I honestly have not driven the car since mid december or so in anything warmer than around 1.5 degrees, until this week.

We've had between 6 and 10 degrees in Bristol this week, and I've had absolutely zero clutch slip, even when I'm trying to.

All very strange. Not sure what to conclude at the moment, other than perhaps this is advance warning of the clutch fail to come, but I won't change it for now and will see what happens in the next few weeks/months.
so what you're saying is....that the "slip" you felt was actually just wheel spin due to the crap weather and conditions !!!  :star:

Offline Timmyboy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 11:02:04 pm »
Nope :)

It was definitely clutch slip.