Make a donation

Author Topic: Dubvrs 2008 GTI restoration and upgrade  (Read 68241 times)

Offline dubvrs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
Re: Project unloved. 2008 GTI
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 06:09:18 pm »
Once I get the logbook back my private plate it going on and it's a 5 digit cut down so just going to attach it on the black section or get some magnets.

Temp sensor on lower radiator hose replaced today and no more fans running constantly.

Mirror indicators are full of green moss so ordered a set of smoked indicators and friend has a set of carbon caps he never fitted so will have them as well  :happy2:

Offline brinks787

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 11:36:46 pm »
The side bolsters of the seat aren't leather they're vinyl.  You could try one of those generic vinyl repair kits if you want to tidy up the bits on the drivers seat that have worn away.

I only know this as mine has gone too and I'm having it retrimmed in leather next month - it's a right con as it was an expensive option from new for "full leather"!

Aparently quite a few manufacturers do it, just the bits you sit on are leather with the rest vinyl.

dansmith180

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 12:45:17 am »
Quite a few interesting and different projects you've had there in the past, be interesting to see how this one ends up  :happy2:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 01:08:44 am »
some excellent projects you have done--be good to see where you take the gti

Offline dubvrs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 08:22:19 pm »
The side bolsters of the seat aren't leather they're vinyl.  You could try one of those generic vinyl repair kits if you want to tidy up the bits on the drivers seat that have worn away.

I only know this as mine has gone too and I'm having it retrimmed in leather next month - it's a right con as it was an expensive option from new for "full leather"!

Aparently quite a few manufacturers do it, just the bits you sit on are leather with the rest vinyl.

Ordered a repair kit that's had good review so will see how it looks just the white backing catch's your eye.

H&R springs arrived today and collected the carbon mirror covers off my mate but will get them fitted once my smoked indicates turn up.

Offline dubvrs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2016, 06:07:00 pm »
Had a good day on the golf.

Replaced my cam follower which looked like it was the factory one as quite worn.

Got my H&R springs fitted along with new drop links. Rides like oem just a little harder. Spent the rest of the day cleaning. Clay bar and removed a lot of scratch's. Quick seal and polish and came up very well.

Got a set of Highline clocks coming so just need to sort out getting them coded in.

Whilst lowering 3 of the tyres have damage to the walls on the inside. Got a set of Toyo T1R's in the garage so going to throw them on for the time being.

Offline dubvrs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2016, 03:46:45 pm »
Interior all cleaned now and leather treated.

Found a crack in my passenger side rear quarter trim. Not to bad but the white line really showed up against the grey of the trim.

Got out my heat gun and gently warmed it up and the White has gone plus managed to melt the two parts back together. Looks a lot better and hardly notice it now.

Ordered some more bits.

Highline steering wheel control module.
Steering wheel with multi function.
Cruise control stalk.
Cherry hazard switch.
Carbon B pillar trims as my black ones need replacing.

Offline Rippers

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 20
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,105772.0.html
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2016, 05:33:40 pm »
Looks good.

Still waiting for my cherry hazard switch to arrive, ordered it a month ago  :sick: :doh:

Offline dubvrs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2016, 06:58:30 pm »
Hopefully mine will not take that long.

Couple of quick jobs done tonight.

Smoked mirror indicators and carbon covers fitted.

Polo stubby antenna fitted.

New genuine gear gaitor fitted.

Offline dubvrs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Dubvrs 2008 GTI restoration and upgrade
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2016, 07:59:43 pm »
After failing to get my spare key to code to the car I ordered second hand key off eBay.

Coded in first go so changed over the key and transponder and all working. Just need a new badge as had to remove it to get to the screw that holds the top piece together.

Some items got delivered so cleaned them up ready for a retrofit weekend. Just waiting for my highline clocks and MFSW airbag loom.

Hot my Toyo's fitted today and car is a lot quieter than it was just need to get it tracked now.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 08:29:11 pm by dubvrs »

Offline Pacman

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2016, 08:27:44 pm »
Looking good mate, the carbon mirror caps are nice I might have to get a pair for mine lol

Love both mk2's as well  :happy2:

Offline dubvrs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2016, 09:01:44 pm »
Looking good mate, the carbon mirror caps are nice I might have to get a pair for mine lol

Love both mk2's as well  :happy2:

Worker out cheaper getting the carbon than repairing the mirror caps and getting painted.

Managed to get my cruise stalk, steering control module and wheel fitted.

Tested measure blocks on the stalk and re coded the steering control module but just need a MFSW loom now. Angle sensor adaption all sorted just need to test the cruise on the road.

Highline clocks have turned up so need to get them sorted. Local garage says he should be able to do them.

Offline Gmac

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2016, 09:55:23 pm »
Good progress!!! 

I'm still investigating what's needed to convert my 05 manual gti, with highline, so that I can have a mfsw.  Any pointers?  Buttons?  Control module?

Offline samiul11

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2016, 12:57:13 pm »
Link for the smoked indicators and carbon mirrors?

Offline dubvrs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2016, 09:01:54 pm »
Good progress!!! 

I'm still investigating what's needed to convert my 05 manual gti, with highline, so that I can have a mfsw.  Any pointers?  Buttons?  Control module?

With your car it will more than likely needs a new slip ring also.

Slip ring - 1K0 959 653 C Can get these on eBay for £20
Steering control module their are loads of versions. You will need a highline version. More info here http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Steering_Wheel_Control_Module_Versions think mine was a 1K0-953-549-BP

I also fitted a cruise stalk at the same time as only £20 off eBay.

I purchased a wheel with controls as they cannot be fitted to a wheel without. Will need an airbag loom with the wires for the MFSW Airbag wiring loom - 1K0 971 584 C